Gps is built-in

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
I use a Blackberry 7520 for my phone. Little did I know but a GPS is built-in to this unit. For $10/month I activated the TeleNav software and now I have turn by turn driving directions available on my crackberry. This rules!

It shows the arrows like a normal GPS on the screen and reads the directions out loud via the loudspeaker.

I like this solution because I can enter the address 3 ways: 1) call a phone number and dicate it 2) enter via the keypad or 3) plan a trip via internet and it downloads into the PDA

So far I'm impressed with it's abilities.

Next test is whether it will speak via my bluetooth headset. If it does, I'm set. Just setup the PDA; put on bluetooth enabled helmet and ride into the sunset.

Telenav website works on other phones as well I think. I'll try to snap a pic later tonite or this weekend.

hmm so on top of the +/- 25.00/mo fees you pay for BlackBerry....and addtional 120.00/yr bings that to 420.00 give or take (not to mention the cost of the unit itself) for a device that may or may not function at any given time....when that lawsuit is settled?

Man I love gadgets as much as the next person...prolly more! But I couldn't see laying that amount out for something under such scrutiny..... I hope you employer pays for it!

I guess I don't feel that I 'need' to stay that in touch with anything anymore... I often find myself turning off my cell phones these days.

Good feature tho!!! If only it could plot a GPS trail to the phone number!

hmm  so on top of the +/- 25.00/mo fees you pay for BlackBerry....and addtional 120.00/yr bings that to 420.00 give or take (not to mention the cost of the unit itself) for a device that may or may not function at any given time....when that lawsuit is settled?

Man I love gadgets as much as the next person...prolly more!  But I couldn't see laying that amount out for something under such scrutiny.....  I hope you employer pays for it!

I guess I don't feel that I 'need' to stay that in touch with anything anymore... I often find myself turning off my cell phones these days.

Good feature tho!!!  If only it could plot a GPS trail to the phone number!
A) Employer pays for crackberry ($150/month total; lotsa minutes)
B) It is a GPS locator if I turn it on.  But why would I want the wife to see where I am?
C) I can't live without e-mail.  That's how I know when my peeps reply to my msgs here
smile.gif

Life is good

<!--EDIT|PandaNin
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152917253 -->

i have the samething on mt treo 700 with Vagizon (verizon)

Works well when I'm in a pinch.

Anyone know if those Blackberry's can be used off the beaten plan path?

I'm thinking just a SIM swap from my Boost phone, but I'm not sure and the website doesn't say. I'm trying to replace my Jornada, and I hate Microshit phones.

I'm thinking just a SIM swap from my Boost phone, but I'm not sure and the website doesn't say.  I'm trying to replace my Jornada, and I hate Microshit phones.
Mine works even down in Mexico where others do not....

I have found that verizons digital service is by far the best. even the broad band internet is reliable.

Nextel (even after the merger) has a far better coverage area than sprint. they have yet to combine service area nor can sprint customers direct connect ot nextel peeps

And sprint not the worst service still does have the most flexible plans with "okay" coverage.

Only nextel and verizon offer the web based GPS, where as sprint has a 411 option that you can call and the operator will talk you to your destiation via the emergency tracker on the phone.

On a whole different context verizon has a "pay for the feature" disability on their phones. You cannot introduce external software because the want you to buy the service they provide.

i've owned all of these so I can relate first hand.
cool.gif

I'm thinking just a SIM swap from my Boost phone, but I'm not sure and the website doesn't say. I'm trying to replace my Jornada, and I hate Microshit phones.
Most new Blackberry's are SIM locked to the carrier. That said, Cingular will give you the unlock code(s) if you call them. I have 8700's at work and I've been calling Cingular and getting all of them unlocked.

Once unlocked, you can put another carrier's SIM in and use it on their network. Since I have users that travel abroad, we just purchase a pre-paid SIM in the country they're traveling to and put it in their Blackberry. That way we don't have to pay huge roaming fees!

Why can't they just build a small unit to mount on motorcycles that functions as a phone, e-mail, radar detector, digital radio & music, GPS, PCIII-USB, Smart TRE, Gear Indicator and Speedohealer..oh and a NOS option.

Is that really asking too much!
tounge.gif

You forgot to include the alarm in the all-in-one unit too! Don't forget the alarm! Oh, and when it opens, it should have a rain cover that is sized to the busa as well.
smile.gif

You forgot to include the alarm in the all-in-one unit too!  Don't forget the alarm!  Oh, and when it opens, it should have a rain cover that is sized to the busa as well.  
smile.gif
Dammit, I knew I missed something. How did I miss the alarm?

Rain cover goes under the hump (hump mod).
biggrin.gif

Back