Got My New BT014 Rear Today and..

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Had it mounted and balanced at Redline Motorcycle Accessory in North Palm Beach, Fl...I know the owner and his wife...(Manny & Bonny)..and they've been running that shop for 26 years rendering parts, gear, services and lots of "TIRES"...so the credibility factor is there and they are well known and respected.

Today I questioned Manny about my mixing a BT14 Rear with the oem BT56 front and his response was...

"Bill...I'll order you a BT56 if that's what ya want but there's no issues at all running a BT014 rear with a BT56 front...matter of fact it's kinda like a scaled up combo from the popular BT010 Front/BT020 Rear combo you used to run on your ZRX"

(where you use a stickier BT010 front tire to prevent the front from washing out but go with a slightly harder BT020 rear for improved wear/milage of the rear tire)

But it was after I said.."No that's fine and your word is good enough for me....mount it up!"...that I found Mannys next remark interesting and possibly of value to other members here when he followed up with...

"You'll get the same great grip with the 14 rear but you'll get waaaay better milage out of it than you'd get out of a 56...that's why we stock the 14's but NOT the 56's...56 rears are an 'order only item' for us and only if the customer insists upon them."

I trust Manny...and it'll be interesting to see how many miles I do get out of this new BT014 rear tire...the tread/sipping depth is impressive...it measures almost a full 1/4" deep at center tread.

BTW..there where no rumbles or grumbles on the ride home and the bike cornered and handled great.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Your mileage will depend a great deal on air pressure as well as how agressive you are with the throttle?
I am on my fourth set of 14's and I love them. I got up around 5K out of one set but I kept the air pressure up around 34#. I only got 3200 from the last set since I dropped the pressure down to 25# for wheelies and stoppies.The tire wasn't at 25#'s for it's entire life but a great deal of it.

I think you will like the 14? It has a nice stiff casing that lets you feel the road well and it's very stable in all aspects, hard braking, full lean and high speed. Give us your opinion after you get the tread down about half way?

Typical Hayabusa service............

Change the oil and filter..........

and the rear tire
laugh.gif

DAMN!!!!!!!

I just ordered a BT56 rear two days ago...still have the front on and it's still good to go...

Have been eyeballing the 014 for awhile now, wish I'd have seen this. Oh well, full set of 014's this summer.

I've been running the 014 rear since my first 56 only gave me 2500 miles. The serviceman that mounted it for me told me to keep it at 40psi for longer life.
Any thoughts on that ? Sounds like that might be a little too much pressure.
Thanks !
mh

I've been running the 014 rear since my first 56 only gave me 2500 miles.  The serviceman that mounted it for me told me to keep it at 40psi for longer life.  
Any thoughts on that ?  Sounds like that might be a little too much pressure.
Thanks !
mh
Metricman...tire wear and pressures are very subjective right up too and including how much the rider weighs...so a higher pressure that works well for a 300LB'er might send a 130LB guy right into the bush's on his first fast turn as the higher the pressure and the lighter the rider?..the smaller the contact patch is....and conversly?...the lower the air pressure and the heavier the rider the larger the contact patch is...(and the more heat the tire will build and hold as it's in a constant state of flexing itself into and out of that slightly larger contact patch) then toss in the infinite variable of how agressive the rider is and...like I said..the issue of tire wear (from rider too rider) gets real..."Subjective".

Over the years (for casual sport/touring) I've settled on "40psi Rear/36psi Front"....and found that it gives me the best milage from the rear yet I still get a generous and adequate contact patch up front.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Interesting info... the next question is: If you go with the BT014 do you need to go with a 200 to keep the stock rear size or is their 190 actually a 198 like the stock Battlax?

Bump, I would like to see if anyone has an answer to Plunk's question.

The 014s are actually a 198 or the 56s?

I am expecting my 014s tomorrows...I agonized over what tire to try and decided on these for now.

I am looking forward to some damn sun again so I can give the 014s a good running.

Alot of my decision was based on TufBusa's posting...these had better be nice TB or I am blaming you.

Jinkster good luck with mixing tires , having a harder front tire than rear could get you in trouble in you rail it hard.

The tech that put my tires on stated....

The higher the air pressure in the tires, the cooler they will run.....which equates to better milege.

He said, since I do alot of commuting on mine I should run at 42psi or just above. When I want to go out and play, drop it to 38 to increase the contact patch.

BTW..I'm running 14's also.

I choose sticky over mileage anyday. there's ONLY 2 wheels on the ground. if you need milage, get a 600
biggrin.gif

if it helps at all, people leaning at the race track use 28-30 psi. watch how you play in the real world on high PSI. and NO psi is gonna get you thru a patch of sand. be safe

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1118247171 -->

I push my Busa hard through the twisties, and I now have 6,000 miles on my BT014's and there is still plenty of miles left in them. I weigh 240, and leave my tires at 42 F/R. They warm up quick, and I never had them break loose or step out on me, even at full lean.

I have the 190 rear.

Hi!

guys i am ready to cange my tires one more time...up to now i have been using Pirelli diablos and lately only M1...

I like very very muxh M1 because they are "faster" in turning the bike.....this is the reason i prefer them compared to diablos..

How much softer are the 014s and how much "slower"..has anybody had them both to compare?

Back