Rear tires we know...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
We're familiar with what mileage to expect from the rear tires since they wear almost twice as fast as the fronts and we know how important the front is for braking.

At 4,000 miles I'm removing my OE BT56 rear and replacing w/ a Metzler M3 Sportec. The front looks pretty damn good at 4,000 miles (~60% worn).

QUESTION:
For those that didn't swap out the front OE BT56 at the same time of the rear, how many miles did you get out of it before it reached the worry point?

(Gunnybusa @ Jan. 18 2007,10:32) I think I got about 10,000 outa mine.
That's good to see...just trying to determine if it would make it until me 3rd rear at about 9,000 miles when I'll get a set.

The matching M3 front would cost me $98.99 + $37.00 install + tax. Just can't see that being necessary w/ the front still looking worthy.

Just wacth the heat cycles on it, it gets real hard after a few good ones.

(Gunnybusa @ Jan. 18 2007,10:50) Just wacth the heat cycles on it, it gets real hard after a few good ones.
Heat cycles on the front BT56?

Gets hard after a few hard rides or just over time as it loses softer rubber?

Yes to all. They get hard on the sides from hard cornering from heating up and cooling down again, they will get hard in the centers the longer you use them. This has been my experience any way with both of my busa's.

(Gunnybusa @ Jan. 18 2007,11:01) Yes to all. They get hard on the sides from hard cornering from heating up and cooling down again, they will get hard in the centers the longer you use them. This has been my experience any way with both of my busa's.
When I took a close look at them, I noticed they are just starting to show some signs of feather wear around the grooving (to be expected - braking) and you're absolutely right, like any other tire they will get hard over time.

Do front/rear sets use the same compound density?

After a lot of heat cycles, street tires start to get harder. Say after 4,000-5,000 miles, but it depends on the tire and how you use it.

Nothing wrong with an older tire as long as you realize it won't provide the grip a new tire will. Something to keep in mind if your front tire has been with you for a long time
wink.gif

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 18 2007,13:31) QUESTION:
For those that didn't swap out the front OE BT56 at the same time of the rear, how many miles did you get out of it before it reached the worry point?
Almost 11,000 !
wow.gif

(Over_Easy @ Jan. 18 2007,11:10)
(Gunnybusa @ Jan. 18 2007,11:01) Yes to all. They get hard on the sides from hard cornering from heating up and cooling down again, they will get hard in the centers the longer you use them. This has been my experience any way with both of my busa's.
When I took a close look at them, I noticed they are just starting to show some signs of feather wear around the grooving (to be expected - braking) and you're absolutely right, like any other tire they will get hard over time.

Do front/rear sets use the same compound density?
The feathering is from low tire PSI.

The original front lasted about 9k. I did a lot of high speed runs and twisties when I first got the bike and 9k was pushing it way too much. As has been said, it was hard and definately showed signs of wear on the belly. It should have been replaced closer to 7k.

I put a M1 on to replace it which has lasted another 15k so far. The front is hard as crapola but I commute on the monster when it's 40+ outside with decent weather. This translates into the tire lasting longer for me. The tread is in nearly perfect condition. I'll replace it in about 6 weeks in prep for the next riding season. For now I just leave a bit more room on the commute for emergency maneuvers to compensate and take extra care in hard corners.

the tires on my busa were brand new when I bought it and have put less than 2000 miles on it but have had several bikes before and got well over 10000 miles out of the front tire.
beerchug.gif

I think it's always better to have stickier front than the rear because the rear slide is way safer than the front slide. By leaving the stocker front on, and putting one of the stickiest street tires on the back you create a condition when the front is more likely to step out. I wouldn't take such a chance.

Back