Got A Slight Bike Problem..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Thought I'd look for some input from the Org.
Busa has 7500 miles now, totally stock motor. Over a period of a few months the idle has been slowing down and I've reset it 3 times now back to 1100 rpm. Fast idle when I got the bike was 1500-1600 rpm and has now dropped to barely 1200 rpm. Lately it's started getting harder to start warm or cold. Not real hard but harder than it's always been. Runs fine otherwise and getting 39-42 mpg, sometimes more if steady speed on the slab (averaged 44.2 at 80 mph for 1100 miles to Indy).
Anybody else experience this, ideas on what might be up?

Try a little "Loctite" on the adjustment screws to hold the settings :thumbsup:

Use the blue one...medium strength :whistle:

Plugs are recommended @ 7,500 miles...but they usually work just fine until 12-15K miles.

When did the issue start to arise? How many miles, that is? Trying to determine over what period the deal has been going on.

Have you had the bike in for her service?

Plugs are recommended @ 7,500 miles...but they usually work just fine until 12-15K miles.

Well I'll be, never thought of plugs this soon but your right, manual says replace at 7500. It was noticably worse after that 80+ mph run to the races and back. Looks like plugs, air filter, and maybe a throttle body sync are in order.
I'll also mark the idle speed screw to see if it's backing off, thinking of putting the external adjuster knob set-up on it so I won't locktite it quite yet.

When did the issue start to arise? How many miles, that is? Trying to determine over what period the deal has been going on.

Have you had the bike in for her service?

Set the idle up the first 2 times through the last year, but the most noticable change was after the 1100 miles on the slab weekend before last. That's when the harder to start showed up and the fast idle slowed down. Only service I've done is oil changes, normal chain slack checks, and just keeping a general eye on bolts and such.
Spark plugs kinda slipped up on me, never had a bike that wanted them that soon.

Last edited:
Throttle body sync? Throttle position sensor? An injector? Could be dozens of things. Knock out the basic stuff run injector cleaner thru it. Maybe have the dealer do the self diagnostic check.

Maybe a slight vacume leak? Vacume leaks can play all KINDS of tricks on you! <==Something to look at while doing the mentioned above things, check hose, line's, gaskets, throttle body boots ect....

First of next week I'm going to take it to my mechanic, have him do a general tune up and diagnostic check on everything. Hopefully a set of plugs and a TB sync will get it back to normal. Can't be too much wrong on a nearly new bike I wouldn't think.
Thanks for the input everyone. Get things sorted next week I'll post what the problem was.

Back