Slight oil problem?

ALLshow.NOgo

Registered
Slight Oil problem?
rock.gif

My 03 had 5172 miles on it when I got it last September, has 9600 miles on it now. Since the day I got it, it seemed to 'consume' oil rather quickly than normal? There was NO visible leak, NO oil smell, No overheating, and NO smoke comming from the bike.

I would just notice that I need to put 1 or 2 quarts in it maybe in about 2 months time to fill it back up. Engine is very strong no weird noises etc. I remember a guy from H.org had the SAME **color, SAME year as my bike with the SAME problem.

Well I had my 'first' ride on Sunday. 149 is a GREAT rode for twisties. Ran the bike pretty hard, and cruised through some places for exactly 3hrs. BUT before leaving I checked the oil and it was halfway in the sight glass. Then today before I rode, it was below the 'LOW' mark?

Well I thought I would do it 'right' and put in the Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil that was rated SF/SG and had high RPM protection Yada Yada. Well I just CRUISED for about 10 miles, short shifting every gear just to let the oil work its way. parked it, started it back up after 30 mins and white smoke came from the right tail pipe!!

I was like nooooooo way. It shot out and I twisted it a little bit and continued. I shut it off and the smoke still came out of the right tail pipe. well after leaving it for about 1hr I started it back up BARELY any smoke from both pipes, almost to where you could not even see it. I TRIED to empty the oil from the Hex screw but only a LITTLE oil came out so I pieced it back.

(The fairing is VERY easy to take off btw. First time I did it, and it only took 10mins including the 'look over' to see what needs to come off!)
I drove gently home and noticed no smoke, got home and twisted it, still no smoke.

Do I have to be worried??? I was thinking of getting the shop to do an oil change but not if its a waste of money though.

**Maybe this oil consumption is the reason why my color is the most aggressive/fastest of all years?

the oil in the sight glass MAY be topped off like MAYBE too over filled? I think it was full after the first quart, but I just stuck in another one I dunno just trying to give more info thanks!

My recommendation to you, before you panic and put a bullet in 'er, is to drain whatever oil you have in there and replace it with a measured (emphasis on measured) amount.

After you've done that, check the sight glass to see where the level is. For your bike, that's the full mark.

ok that sounds good I TRIED to drain the oil with the bolt listed as (1)
oildrain.jpg

and only a little bit came out even after tilting at 55 degres and letting the bike warm up to temp

i dont mean to be rude, but thats not the drain plug if thats what you thought it was. it sounds like you are going through alot of oil. probly a bit of blowby, new rings and a good hone followed by proper break in would hlp. thats the last resort thou. i would have a mechanic take a look at it to be sure.

Gotta agree with Baja. That plug is to test the oil pressure. You might want to let a mechanic work on your bike before you do some major damage. Also the fact that you "may" have over filled it by a QUART makes me cringe.
wow.gif

Your bike only takes a little less than four qts with a new filter...if you over fill it, you will burn more oil and could cause damage to the engine. Let some one look at it that knows what they are doing, before something gets messed up.

yeah you are right, it is the wrong place which is why very little oil came out. I will just let a shop take care of everything, I will see tomorrow. oh, because of the way I checked the oil with the engine ON, and on kickstand showed halfway in the glass. Then checked it again on the kickstand engine OFF showed empty. it could be about 1.5-2quarts too much?

You have to check the oil with the engine off and the bike sitting upright....not on the kick stand. If you check it on the kick stand it will be low....if you fill it to the top mark when it is on the kick stand you will be way over full. If you have been doing it that way....that's your oil consumption problem
wink.gif

so it looks like that is my oil consumption, but now I am begining to think I never had that problem? just my flawed method of checking it? I am draining the oil and putting in Pennzoil 10-40w in and putting on a K&N filter tomorrow. thanks alot for help!

<!--EDIT|HayaBoosta03
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115141986 -->

UPDATE

Everything is A-OK
I sucessfully drained the huge amount of oil. I talked to my local shop by phone and the smoke that came out was possible 'blow-by' because of too much oil in the block may have gotten in the cylinders. (have not seen smoke since that night of the incident.)

He said it was not neccessary to do a compression check if you are messing with the oil. But I know why it was suggested though. He suggested that I go with Honda oil GN4. That stuff is amazing. Engine is so smooth. and a tick quieter too. Thats the only oil they use at there dealer. (suzuki, yamaha, honda etc)

She's stronger than every I feel so happy :-)

UPDATE

Everything is A-OK
I sucessfully drained the huge amount of oil. I talked to my local shop by phone and the smoke that came out was possible 'blow-by' because of too much oil in the block may have gotten in the cylinders. (have not seen smoke since that night of the incident.)

He said it was not neccessary to do a compression check if you are messing with the oil. But I know why it was suggested though. He suggested that I go with Honda oil GN4. That stuff is amazing. Engine is so smooth. and a tick quieter too. Thats the only oil they use at there dealer. (suzuki, yamaha, honda etc)

She's stronger than every I feel so happy :-)
always consult yer "Friendly Neighbourhood Org" before doing any unfamiliar maintenance.

hav a smoke-free 1... RSD.

sweet glad to see the bikes a-ok, bet that was a bit of a relief! i just switched to fully synthetic and damn is it smoother!

Back