Gonna start a bike that hasn't been ran in 8 years

The Big Red One

Registered
I just bought a GSX-R 1100 that hasn't been run in 8 years, and was wondering if I can just fire it up or if I should pull the valve cover and pour some oil on the cams and down the spark plug holes. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated  
biggrin.gif

PS:Sorry guys I forgot to mention I've already cleaned the carbs....new K&N air filters...new gas, plugs, oil, filter, battery ect. I'm just not sure about a dry start after 8 years of no oil flow
wow.gif

First thing would be to drop the old fuel and check the condition of the oil. Remove the plugs and crank it over, if the battery is OK, add new fuel, clean the plugs or replace. Then try starting it  
beerchug.gif

I'd change the oil&filter, plugs, gas. While the plugs are out, squirt alittle oil in the combustion chamber. Also, check the airfilter and air intake for any foreign material.

I think the bike is beyond help. Donate it to me immediately.
firedevil.gif

In reality, the advice you have gotten so far is exactly what I would do.
Now give me that bike
SHOCKED.gif

I just finished fixing an old Honda in the same condition as yours. Sounds like you replaced all the important stuff. The only thing I would add is pull the plugs and crank it over to get some of the oil flowing up into the engine. Then hook it back up and let 'er rip!

(hottrodd7 @ Apr. 17 2007,08:50)  The only thing I would add is pull the plugs and crank it over to get some of the oil flowing up into the engine.  Then hook it back up and let 'er rip!
There ya go . Good advice thats easy on the time clock

EDIT:

You will need to crack open the float bowl drains to let air escape so that the bowls will fill with fuel .

On bikes with vacuum petcocks only you can get it done by letting it set quite a while while babysitting it so no flood of gas everywhere or by spinning the engine and if you pull the plugs both jobs can be done at one time .

Carefull that spark plug leads are no-where near that fuel though and maybe that engine will spin with the handlebar kill switch in off position . If not , it can be put in off position and bypass starter button and jumper the starter .

If the petcock is not of the vacuum type then fill the bowls after cranking to get oil pressure with the plugs out so it will spin faster .

+1 on spraying some oil in the chamber. It will help re seat the rings if they are shrunk or rusted/corroded to the piston. It will smoke like crazy for a little while when you start it, but it'll run better when it's done.

(fsusux @ Apr. 17 2007,08:35) A squirt of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and turn it over with the plugs still out.
<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>+1</span>

(fsusux @ Apr. 16 2007,23:35) A squirt of Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder and turn it over with the plugs still out.
+++1, also turn it over by hand, not with the starter. Let the oil sit over night.

I would give it some hand rotation, and then follow the others advice. Sounds like you're ready.

Why was it dormant for 8 years? Damn shame unless there were extenuating circumstances? If it were me I would yank the plugs and at least spin the engine with a ratchet or something to get a little oil to all of the journals before you crank it up and blow the field mice out of the exhaust.
laugh.gif

I got one that's mint and it has been sitting longer I found in a barn covered in dust...I got it to the shop,pulled the plugs and l poured 4 caps full of oil in each cylinder and let it soak for a week.I bumped the starter over a few times a day to let the rings/pistons move to get more oil around the cylinder.I then cleaned the carbs,changed the oil/filter,cranked it over and checked the compression(will be a little high at first due to some oil still in cylinders)..I then filled with fresh gas,installed new plugs and it fired first try.I DIDN'T rev it,I just heat cycled it about 10 times(cranked and let idle for 10 mins at a time about 30 minutes apart)..Bike has been running like a top every since..good luck and if ya need help feel free to call,These are the bikes I started on and still enjoy them..

Back