Gold valves and rebound mods? HELP!!!

In10SS

Donating Member
Registered
Hi Guys,
I decided to add a gold valve kit to my forks and other than not having the tool to clamp the cartridge, it is going ok. While talking with my friend Terry at Racetech, I decided to add a shim to the rebound stack as well to slow it down just a touch. The problem is that I don't know how to get the cartridge apart to access it. I've got the compression stack with the gold valves ready to go but waiting to figure this out. Oh, and I'm supposed to leave for the bash tomorrow morning! Has anyone had these things apart? HELP!

Search youtube.

Use terms like

Race tech fork disassembly
Or
Street bike fork disassembly

I see many there. Just not sure which one will help you.

Thanks. I tried a bunch of those, but must not have the correct search terms. The problem is I'm wanting to get the internal cartridge apart. The forks are already disassembled and cartridges are on the work bench. Has anybody made any changes to the rebound side?

I'm not sure what you are asking? Are you asking how to get the fork tubes apart or taking the cartridge apart?

Twobrothersbusa has a "How to" thread on this site that will give you guidance on disassembly of the fork tubes!

I'm not sure what you are asking? Are you asking how to get the fork tubes apart or taking the cartridge apart?

Twobrothersbusa has a "How to" thread on this site that will give you guidance on disassembly of the fork tubes!

I have the forks completely disassembled with the cartridges on my work bench. The compression valving has been removed, gold valves installed and reassembled onto cartridge. I have to remove the rod and pull it out of the cartridge to get to the rebound valving. It looks like the top of the cartridge would spin off with a special tool (maybe after heating it) or shaft could push out the bottom if I could remove this bottom stop on the upper shaft. I don't have a special tool for the first and I can't see how to remove the clips for the 2nd. Also, if removing the stop, I'd have to remove the compression valving again. I was supposed to leave for bash today so that is why I put the gold valves in. Unless I can get a quick fix, I'm putting it together so I can go.

cartridge top 001.JPG

cartridge top 002.JPG

Also, I don't think I can get the stop thing off without damaging the clips holding it on, since I can't tell how they work. I think I might be stuck for now unless you have an idea?

Check your inbox, call me and I'll see if we can get you on the road!

Thanks, but my compression gold valving kit is installed correctly and will work just fine. I've installed them on close to ten different bikes and understand how they are supposed to work. One of the reasons race tech does not have a rebound kit for this application is the difficulty and number of special tools needed. Nevertheless, if I could get the cartridge apart to access the rebound valving, I could install a rebound side correctly as well if race tech sold one. I was wanting to attempt a partial Band-Aid that may have improved the rebound side a bit, after discussing with a tech guy at Racetech that I know. The next best cost effective answer would be to install a rebound kit that was tunable. None are available to my knowledge although Traxxion has one to install that is not for retail sale. Two kits and all the labor would probably cost as much as some nice replacement cartridges like their AK-20 which I've used on another bike and liked. I'm buttoning this one up for now but hope to upgrade next year. Thanks to all for the help and support!

Back