GLOVES

OB_Dirty Pete

Registered
Something we haven't discussed in detail on the forum since I got here is gloves.

What do you expect from your gloves, what do you wear and how are they working out for you? What do you wear in heat, rain, cold? Anyone been down on their palms with Kevlar or steel studs? Who rides bare handed?

Gloves. Your first line of self defence when you go down in a controlled fall.

I wear a leather set with no studs or Kevlar. They get a bit too sweaty when its hot, and are then uncomfortable, but they work well from warm temperatures to the low 40s (Farenheit). I've only got the one pair, so regardless of the conditions, they'll be on, whether it be 100 degrees, raining, or when I'm freezing by tail off at 3 AM coming home from work.

Dainese RR, Kevlar.

Probably end up cutting the fingers off to match my new skullcap, the visor on my full face is just so inconvenient. Without the finger part it will make pulling bugs out of my nostrils easier.
(Is that why they call them Buggers?)

Heade Race gloves is what I wear mostly. Thy have great feel and provide good protection. I’ve been down twice at the track with them and thy did the job. In fact thy are scuffed up but still in pretty good shape. I have a pair of thin cloth gloves/liners I wear under then in cold weather. If it gets really cold and I’m plugged in I wear a pair of Guerbing electric Gloves. Thy are real warm but I don’t like the feel for the bars. If I can stand the cold I choose not to wear them.

I'm wearing the black Technik gloves with gold carbon fiber mouldings on the knuckles and kevlar palms. The leather is spectacularly soft and compliant...Jap leather (probably from Kobe cattle!)...and one very subtle thing I love about them is that the fingers are stitched in a natural downward curve so you're not stretching leather when you wrap your fingers around the throttle. They are also slightly vented through pin-prick holes...nice in the heat.

Also no black dye staining the first few times they get wet.

They cost a pretty penny ($160 Canadian) "but I'm worth it."

I have done palm skids on dirt and run off gravel in the past, which is not a problem for any leather gloves, but I have never had the pleasure of testing the pavement resistance of studs vs kevlar. Has anyone out there melted studs or scuffed kevlar?

Ed I was writing while you were posting about your track skids, so thanks on that.

Konrad could you lend a pair of those to Big Ed to match his latex Santa Claus suit? I assume they're red by the time you're through with them (gag).

I use a pair of Akito Hi-Speed all leather gloves for light duty. About $25.00 from Motoport. I don't believe the "high speed" bit, but they are comfortable, seem well made, and I can replace them often.I haven't been down recently, but a friend tested a pair at 45 mph on pavement and gravel. Came out OK. For more serious work I have a pair of German Buse gloves which look a lot like your Carbon/Kevlar Teknics. Would have bought the Teknics but didn't fit me as well as the Buse. Pricey at $210.US, though. In cold weather I also use cloth liners.

I bought the Electric gloves from Widder Enterprise. They are preety warm for this winter. I try to use the latex gloves under my regular gloves, but that trick did not really work (I read that could work). So after having my hands frozen I decided to get my Widder gloves.

They are really thick and the only thing that bothers me is that is a bit difficult to use the controls of the bike (turn signals, horn, etc)

It is also difficult sometimes to apply the brakes with them, since they are really thick.
I also have the vest and arm chaps for the winter. They are good

I only use gloves for cold. For my whole life my fingers have been cold, riding at speed or long distances. What about mittens? Did 150 couple times the other day and the only thing cold was my fingers tips.

You guys can laugh all you want-(not you Clay)
When i need absolute throttle control-
like for a video, crowd pleaser shot, or Shifter Kart race,
I wear thin new white leather Heli-Arc welders gloves for sensitivity-I Like to feel the controls in my finger tips- "Its so LA"

ducmanic

I wear a pair of Honda gauntlets with the Kevlar studs in the summer. Fell off the 1282 at Wichita Intl raceway last summer going through the traps and slid about 200feet on my duff, no "patty cake" damage.In the colder weather I wear the Tourmaster heavy gloves, they are really warm, have good flexibility,and are pre curved like the Honda road race gauntlets so they are comfortable.

DP -

Like i said, I idolize you. I bought those same Technik black and gold gloves for a bill about a month ago. COuld not be happier with them. Very soft leather, and very well padded. I have to ride in the cold mornings of the desert here in Phoenix and at 4:30, my hands stay warm. You got good taste bud.

~BP

Back