Gilles Tooling Chain Adj

Don Hardcastle

Busa Ridin' Sailor (ret)
Donating Member
Registered
Ok,
I bought these things from Professor. Great to deal with fast delivery all the pieces parts there. I bought the Scorpio too. ANYWAY. I read the installation manual that came with the adjusters. Either I am horrible at GermEnglish or the German person who wrote it does not have a good command of the English language. I check the one on the site, it is just like the printed one.

On to the question. There are 2 installation methods, the first involves clamping them on and the second involves (here is the question) I believe drilling holes in the swing arm. With the 1397 package I want them bolted onto the swingarm, but I want to make sure that I understand what I am reading.

Can some one help a GermEnglishly challenged brother out?

Don

Actually pretty easy, Don. You need to remove the rear wheel and spacers and the adjuster nut in the stock swingarm. Place the adjuster into the swingarm and install allen heads into the swingarm to hold in place. Then simply a matter of replacing the wheel. Don't have mine in front of me, but that's the general idea.

if you flip the adj over you can see the drill holes. you also have to counter sink the holes on the outside. throw it back on the swing arm and mark it.

I read the directions like 500 times. It doesn't mention drilling out the front holes.

BigBs,
I believe you are talking about method one in which they are clamped into place. I am getting ready to have 200whp back there. The second method involves drilling and tapping the swingarm. It seems to be more secure. That is the one I am asking questions about.

Don

Rock,

I assumed you hand tightened the adj into the front hole so that you can mark the swingarm correctly on the rear 2 holes. Does that make sense to you?

Don

Rock,

I assumed you hand tightened the adj into the front hole so that you can mark the swingarm correctly on the rear 2 holes.  Does that make sense to you?

Don
you put the adjuster in. Tighten the allen where the old adj screw went in the swing arm. Then mark the back holes. remove everything and then drill and tap rear holes.

that part is easy. I just don't have the tool to counter sink holes. I'm sure I'll have one before long.
laugh.gif

I have the directions somewhere out in the garage if you have any questions.

Whoops. Just read the post again. Looks like you already have them. My bad.

r8

Looking at the adjuster, there are 4 places to drill out, then drill and tap. Is that what everyone else is seeing too.

Don

Looking at the adjuster, there are 4 places to drill out, then drill and tap.  Is that what everyone else is seeing too.

Don
yep. that's what I was talking about. Forward holes.
On the site they just mention the drilling the aft.
It looked a little thin up there to me.

I am just going to do the back holes. There are only 4 screws, 2 per side, and the front is held in tight anyway.

Don

Back