GenII vs. ZX14 (another reason for chosing)

I think it's more the workmanship than the bike, those mechanics, (if that's what you want to call them), need their :moon:'s kicked.

Wouldn't this fall under the Magnusson Act? Can Kawasaki PROVE that this damage was done by drag racing the bike? Might be worth checking into.

RacerV, your 100% correct, Magnuson-Moss states that the Dealer/manufacturer "may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty"

Unfortunatly read the fine print of your warrantee. The Kawi warranttee clearly excludes racing or misuse, which is how they get around this. You change gearing, put on a swingarm, install a power commander, or pull a wheelie, and you are probably at the mercy of their good intent. I don't think the Suzuki warrantee is much better.

How many people bring their bike back for service or warrantee work, only to find missing hardware, cracked pannels, and other problems. My dealer tried to sell me the hump on my 08 separately. Never go back to those bastards. Fortunatly bad dealers and manufacturers are going to put themselves out of business eventually.

I admit I considered purchasing a ZX14 for a while, but I quickly remembered the few engine failures (con rod) experienced by the ZX11, ZX12R, and the 14 over the years.

The reliability of the Hayabusa engine is legendary (except may be for the 99 and 00 versions). The engine is used in race cars, has been outfitted with all sorts of power boosting devices. It appears to be a mature rock solid power plant. That was a big argument in favor of buying the Busa.

And anyway, I'd be hard pressed to trust a dealership to repair an engine. Many can't even do an oil change properly.

Albeit, a bit off the subject: the KLR engine has had a possible issue with the balancer adjusting mechanism for the past 10-15 years, and Kawasaki has never admitted it. I upgraded mine with an aftermarket one. But I should not have had to.

There are lots of cool Kawasaki bikes out there, but I'll be staying away from them.

^^^+1 Silver lining: he has no reason to not go for the fastest now. I own a 14 and I can't stop dreaming. Would have been awesome for the two of you to trade off and experience both. Guess it's better he was riding instead of you when his rod went. Bet it was a #3 on an 06-07. Don't hear about this prob on the 08 -09.

Mythos

hmmm that rod had the bearing spun out of it (is blue)... wonder if the first repair was just a poor patch job...

My Yamaha/Suzuki dealer whom also owns a Kawasaki dealer told me a guy blew his ZX14 motor and they have spent weeks trying to locate a new one and were still looking.

It's going to be a loose-loose situation for your dragracing friend. By the time the lawyers get paid the engine could have been replaced. There is no guarantee his lawyers would win based on the fact he was dragracing ???

My buddy and I both got new bikes at the same time. He got his ZX14 and I got my 08 Orange and Black busa. This was a big defection for me, having had brand Kawis since my first Z1 and H2 race bikes. I WAS a big fan.

So my buddy spun a rod on his ZX14 only a month after owning it. Yes, he took it to the drag strip, no he did not abuse it. Kawasaki repaired the bike under warranty.

A month or 2 later, the motor GRENADES at 145 mph at the track. Oils down the rear tire. Somehow by the grace of god he doesn't go down, but the motor is junk.

Exhibit A - boat anchor manufactured by Kawasaki heavy industries. Notice lovely rod through side of case.
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

On further inspection, it appears that the warranty work was bogus as performed by Jem Motorsports in Dartmouth MA. The rod nuts backed right off the rod. In fact the rod nuts on the unaffected rods were clearly used hardware. check it out.

These were the parts in the bottom of the pan.

The crank, the rods, the head, the cases are complete 100% JUNK.

Jem Motorsports and kawasaki won't warranty it because they say that the bike was raced a couple of times at the dragstrip. Apparently it doesn't matter that Jem did a poor job of doing the warranty work and using used hardware.

Hey Kawasaki- Isn't dragracing one of the major F-N reason we buy these things?
:moon:
Once a dealership has to go into your motor it will never be the same again. If I ever had that prob I'd either tell the manufacturer to get me a new motor or I'm calling my lawyer :laugh: Dealerships suck *ss :disagree: :disagree: :disagree: And your friend should know you NEVER EVER tell the manufacture the bike was ridden anywhere but on the road and gently. Those bastards will use ANY excuse to screw you out of your warranty :( Sounds like he took a major bend-over from team green ::11

The irony in this sad story is that my buddy and I both got new bikes (me a Busa and he the ZX14) because we were disgusted with the terrible reliability and difficult servicability of our ZX12s we both had. We wanted something newer and better than the 12.

I've couldn't be happier with the performance, reliability, and servicability of the 08 Busa. I beat the piss out of this bike, with almost 400 passes made down the dragstrip (somtimes with the help of a little blue bottle:whistle:)

My buddy Jay has been plaged with NUMEROUS recalls, including a cracked frame, and multiple electircal problem, and finally two blown motors. Now he has nothing but a boat anchor worth JACK.

I think Team Green lost thier way...
I gotta mention....the frame recalls were only on the 06-07's....and only a couple were cracked. The 08 has a different frame....no recalls and no cracks. The way you're throwing around facts almost makes you sound kinda like a..............troll? ??? Did you just read a few things on the net, steal a pic, and decide to stir the pot abit?.............nah, a busa guy on a busa forum wouldn't do that now would they? lol
BTW I recgonize that pic ;)

I gotta mention....the frame recalls were only on the 06-07's....and only a couple were cracked. The 08 has a different frame....no recalls and no cracks. The way you're throwing around facts almost makes you sound kinda like a..............troll? ??? Did you just read a few things on the net, steal a pic, and decide to stir the pot abit?.............nah, a busa guy on a busa forum wouldn't do that now would they? lol

There is always one in the group...

Yes, the ZX14 was an 07. I said he bought it virtually at the same time as my 08. I did not say it was an 08.

Jay brought the bike in for the 2 or 3 recalls and supposedly the frame was inspected and retourqed. It STILL snapped right through the weld. I should post a photo of it (though you would claim its photo-shopped) but in my world, the weld is supposed to be stronger than the parent metal. Crap Engineering.

Yes I'm trying to stir the pot. I've owned H1s, H2s, Z1s, GPZs, ZX9, and a ZX12. I was a recent defector to Suzuki, but at this point I think people should know that Jem Motorsports are incompetent, and Kawasaki makes a bomb.

Jay has since bought a brand new (used) motor for some huge sum of money. He also had the frame welded up. I hope this season works out better for him.

One of the great things about the internet is that you can share your issues with the community and let them know about quality issues like this. To be honest, I have not heard of one incident regarding a GenII Busa blowing up. I'm sure its happened, but I know of multiple 14s that have popped. I am sharing the one data point that I know the details of.

Regarding your claim that you saw these photos elsewere and that I sniped them, post the link A-Hole, or shut the hell up.

for what it is worth
I was a dealer mechanic for a couple of years right out of high school
I swear I will never bring my bike to a dealer because I know of the incompetence that goes on there
I watched a mechanic while adjusting the valves on a gs500 rotate the motor backwards which spit a shim thru the head
instead of replacing the head. he JB welded the piece back in and painted it so you couldn't tell
500 miles on the thing
if it was my bike and I found out, I would be all over their case

Also I know the guy who's bike it is and he send me the pictures
and I recognize the trailer

so the pics are not copied from elsewhere Jackass

Must be a ZX14 lover :poke: Remember, acceptance is the first step to recovery :laugh: I too used to have my head stuck in the sand.........then i seen the light. :bowdown: SUZUKI HAYABUSA KAWASUXMEOFF ZX14R :moon:

Last edited:
Back