GenII vs. ZX14 (another reason for chosing)

Draco1340

Registered
My buddy and I both got new bikes at the same time. He got his ZX14 and I got my 08 Orange and Black busa. This was a big defection for me, having had brand Kawis since my first Z1 and H2 race bikes. I WAS a big fan.

So my buddy spun a rod on his ZX14 only a month after owning it. Yes, he took it to the drag strip, no he did not abuse it. Kawasaki repaired the bike under warranty.

A month or 2 later, the motor GRENADES at 145 mph at the track. Oils down the rear tire. Somehow by the grace of god he doesn't go down, but the motor is junk.

Exhibit A - boat anchor manufactured by Kawasaki heavy industries. Notice lovely rod through side of case.
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

On further inspection, it appears that the warranty work was bogus as performed by Jem Motorsports in Dartmouth MA. The rod nuts backed right off the rod. In fact the rod nuts on the unaffected rods were clearly used hardware. check it out.

These were the parts in the bottom of the pan.

The crank, the rods, the head, the cases are complete 100% JUNK.

Jem Motorsports and kawasaki won't warranty it because they say that the bike was raced a couple of times at the dragstrip. Apparently it doesn't matter that Jem did a poor job of doing the warranty work and using used hardware.

Hey Kawasaki- Isn't dragracing one of the major F-N reason we buy these things?
:moon:

Wow. Congrats on your purchase! You should be extra extra happy with it!

Sorry for your friend's experience, yo. That sux...big time.

They freakin drag raced the bikes for demos during press release, what a crock of ****. But hey, warranties are always hard to get honored in my past experience.

Sorry bout your friends bike. Sounds like the warranty work was done on the cheap.

Sad, sad, sad......

Bad enough the first failure..... then the moronic re-work!

I hope it sorts for him - but it's great news he didn't get hurt.

that really doe suck, I love how people swear they will take care of you until something happens. Hope it works out for your buddy.

The irony in this sad story is that my buddy and I both got new bikes (me a Busa and he the ZX14) because we were disgusted with the terrible reliability and difficult servicability of our ZX12s we both had. We wanted something newer and better than the 12.

I've couldn't be happier with the performance, reliability, and servicability of the 08 Busa. I beat the piss out of this bike, with almost 400 passes made down the dragstrip (somtimes with the help of a little blue bottle:whistle:)

My buddy Jay has been plaged with NUMEROUS recalls, including a cracked frame, and multiple electircal problem, and finally two blown motors. Now he has nothing but a boat anchor worth JACK.

I think Team Green lost thier way...

If I have learned anything from warranties and that is they are not to protect the consumer but to make money for the insurance company. Lets face it would State Farm be in business if everyone was able to make a claim.....no way they are banking on people going their whole life and making no claims than there will be those that total a car or be in an accident and total a couple of cars that they will have to eat. So they pay the bill, raise your rate or drop you because they are afraid you will do it again and they don't want to pay out just take your money. They are a business like anyone else and always remember that. So if you run the hell out of your bike or your car and break it at a track always get it home, remove any numbers or anything that might give it away (drag slick, stretch, etc) and than call them and say "Hey was out riding with a bunch of guys this weekend and look what happen. Make them prove you wrong. I hit a deer before but when I call the insurance company I told them "The deer ran out and hit ME. That way they had no where to go but deal with my issue. Another friend of mine didn't put his kickstand down all the way and dropped the bike...1K in damage are you kidding me what a rip off, he took his bike to the mall laid it down on the side took a digital camera and took a picture than stood it up and called his agent and left a message since it was a Saturday. On monday they called him they came out to look at the damage, he showed the guy the picture. They covered it 100% did not raise his rate. Yea not 100% on the up and up but his theory is he has been paying insurance all his life (he is 38) never made a claim and now he screwed up and dropped his bike he figures it would not kill them to get back some of his money :) Not saying right or wrong just saying..it happens :)

The guy in this story yea he took it to the strip BFD that is what these bikes do well, they sure don't run these beasts in MotoGP so now we do what it is built for and something breaks and they want to walk away from it :( Now if he ran NOS or turbo...well than that is different but pipe, computer and a part lets go.. especially when someone put used parts in....the dealer needs his ass handed to him. Okay I am done ranting I feel better now. :whistle:

Everytime I hear a story like this I find it ridiculous. That's like GM saying a busted transfer case on a 4x4 truck wouldn't be warranty'd because you engaged the four wheel drive to go off pavement. F*N STUPID!

So has your buddy learned his lesson? Will he be purchasing a Busa once he gets all the BS sorted out?

That sucks man. No matter what the brand. To spend the coin, then have some fun, something break, then the dealer shows their butt. Basically makes you become a walking billboard against them. Perhaps he should write or call corporate. I had to do that with Harley and got what I wanted twice. They don't want to lose your business most of the time!

Last edited:
I would be in the dealership every saturday talking about my bike and what they are going to do to fix it. You cause enough raucus and they will do something to make you go away.

I'd call a lawyer. If Kawasaki won't stand behind it then the dealer that did the CRAP work better... :rulez:

WOW!!!! Thats a F*#KED UP deal there, Man i cant even imagine the stomach ache your buddy has :puke: Like mentioned above, i would be CAMPING MY AZZ OFF in that dealership with a pick-it sign telling EVERYONE just what i thought of KAWASUKZMEOFF :firing:

The irony in this sad story is that my buddy and I both got new bikes (me a Busa and he the ZX14) because we were disgusted with the terrible reliability and difficult servicability of our ZX12s we both had. We wanted something newer and better than the 12.

I know exactly what you mean, i also owned a ZX12R(2001)......and what a PAIN IN THE :moon: that bike was to work on/mod :banghead: hell, it would take a half-n-hour just to get to the freaken battery!!! That frame design SUCKZ THE BIG ONE!!
Not to rub salt in his wound, but he should have learned from the 12R(you did), hope he gets every thing worked out in his favor, but......HAIL THE BUSA :bowdown:

bummer bro... (even if it is a Kawi :whistle:)

show him this pic... maybe it'll take his mind off it :laugh:

08_apr_shoot_busa_zx14_15.jpg

I'm just glad he's OK. Send him down the Suzuki shop for a Hayabusa!

Back