Gen II starter, starter clutch issues

Jaysus

Bling Free
Donating Member
Registered
I’ve had problems here and there with the bike being at operating temp. and not being able to shut it down and start it right back up. I would have to wait a minute or two and then is would start. I was told the bike is vapor locking and by letting it cool a few minutes would drop the psi in the cylinders then the bike could turn over and start…. No big deal.

But now when it’s at operating temps and I shut it down and do a quick restart back up it locks up and won’t release for hours. The only way to start it back up is to let it cool for hours or get a jump and the extra juice will turn it over. The battery is good because I checked it and it’s always over 12 volts, 12.3 average. So now I don’t think it’s ever been a vapor lock issue. I now believe it’s a starter clutch issue. Whatever it is I need to get it taken care of quickly because I have some long road trips planned for the next three months and one is over 3k miles.

I did a search and this is real close to what in starting to deal with but unlike this fellow mine is more hit and miss, not every time I stop. Find the youtube videos to see what I mean.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/121805-starting-problems-start.html

I've always thought is was weak starting the bike and I thought that's just the way it is but this seems to be a real issue........ Anyone else think the Gen II is weak at starting?? Can't be just me??

I hope this doesn’t make me miss my Honda!!! :banghead:

I know some people run a two battery setup to ease the problem that you are describing. My bike isn't a year old yet but I do live in Vegas and during the summer when it was 115 out I had no problem. I use the bike for commuting and running errands but I suspect as my battery gets older and weaker I will experience this problem.

What year is your bike?
Do you use a battery tender?
Is the bike still covered by the warranty?
Also when it happens, have you ever tried opening the gas tank to see if it starts?

12.3V is NOT a healthy battery. 12.6-12.8V is a healthy charge at rest. Your bike should be charging 14.4V at 3,000-3,500 RPMs.

What year is your bike?
Do you use a battery tender?
Is the bike still covered by the warranty?
Also when it happens, have you ever tried opening the gas tank to see if it starts?

It's an 08 and out of warranty.
Yes I use a battery tender all the time.
Next time I will try and open the gas tank but the starter is locked up and won't turn over the motor.

Last edited:
12.3V is NOT a healthy battery. 12.6-12.8V is a healthy charge at rest. Your bike should be charging 14.4V at 3,000-3,500 RPMs.

.3 volts wont have any effect on the starter not turning over the motor. The battery is good, it was the first thing I ruled out.

I'm still thinking starter clutch.

It's an 08 and out of warranty.
Next time I will try and open the gas tank but the starter is locked up and won't turn over the motor.

I really wouldn't be surprised that the battery is no good!

It all depends on the dealer on how long they charged it before you got the bike!
My 04's battery was dead in 3 months, and the dealer charged me for a new battery!

I’m not one to shun good advice so I went ahead and ordered the Yuasa YTZ14S upgrade. If anything I’ll be able to rule that out.

What is the YTZ 14s upgrade?? Is it a direct replacement ?
Mike
I’m not one to shun good advice so I went ahead and ordered the Yuasa YTZ14S upgrade. If anything I’ll be able to rule that out.

Last edited:
how long does a fresh battery have to be charged before you install it?

Last edited:
I would trickle charge it overnite, also have a 08, never had a problem cranking, Good Luck!

Your battery was too low at 12.2 voilts. It should read 13volts. That new upgraded battery will probably take care of it. So, your bike should charge the new battery up to just over 13 volts. If it doesn't you have a charging problem on the bike. Good Luck!!

Back