Gen II forks on a Gen I - what do I need?

Sayre

Registered
I'm interested in swapping a set of second gen forks on my 05 Busa. Is it pretty much a straight swap?

If I'm not mistaken, from my research so far, the 2nd gen forks came with Tokico early in their run then switched to Brembos? I'd really like those radial mounted Brembos.

Thanks for y'alls advice on this.

I'm interested in swapping a set of second gen forks on my 05 Busa. Is it pretty much a straight swap?

If I'm not mistaken, from my research so far, the 2nd gen forks came with Tokico early in their run then switched to Brembos? I'd really like those radial mounted Brembos.

The search option on this forum is really helpful and can yield some good info. This is what a quick search got me:

theme tokicos vs brembos
sometimes yes / st not - one has to test and ..

the change from gen1 front to gen2 front will be expensive
becuase nothing fits x-wise
rim, calipers ´n pads , discs , fork - all of that pieces u need "new"

i supose a total sum of around 1 grand or more. depends on where u can the parts from for what price.

if u think your gen1 brake doesn´t work fine
2 hints
1. do a deep cleaning of the tokico-6-pston-cals as i described here
2. mount a 17mm dia radial master

the gen1 and gen2 fork themselves are more or less equal

theme tokicos vs brembos
sometimes yes / st not - one has to test and ..

the change from gen1 front to gen2 front will be expensive
becuase nothing fits x-wise
rim, calipers ´n pads , discs , fork - all of that pieces u need "new"

i supose a total sum of around 1 grand or more. depends on where u can the parts from for what price.

if u think your gen1 brake doesn´t work fine
2 hints
1. do a deep cleaning of the tokico-6-pston-cals as i described here
2. mount a 17mm dia radial master

the gen1 and gen2 fork themselves are more or less equal
...ah and there he is.....I knew a brake cleaning lecture was coming at some point.....

Best to source an entire front end from a '13 and up gen 2-get the top and bottom yokes, rims w/rotors and forks w/Brembos

Take one set off, put one set on after you do the maintenance to the forks and calipers....

The only benefit to the swap will be the Brembos, the forks won't dampen any better unless you change out the internals like I did.

@Bumblebee

so far so right

BUT

the yokes - both - can stay.
the upper and lower yokes each are equal from ´08 til ´22 - they each have the same part-no.

and yes - i´m a friend of saving money
and if a deep cleaning, what more or less costs only time, brings a good result , i always would prefer that way.

and buddy
pls. read what i wrote above - sometimes !!! the ´08-´12 tokicos are scrap (no clue why - they sometimes don´t "work correctly") and a change to the brembos (and pads) of the abs-models is the best way.
but then a swap to an entire new front is NOT necessary.

@Bumblebee

so far so right

BUT

the yokes - both - can stay.
the upper and lower yokes each are equal from ´08 til ´22 - they each have the same part-no.

and yes - i´m a friend of saving money
and if a deep cleaning, what more or less costs only time, brings a good result , i always would prefer that way.

and buddy
pls. read what i wrote above - sometimes !!! the ´08-´12 tokicos are scrap (no clue why - they sometimes don´t "work correctly") and a change to the brembos (and pads) of the abs-models is the best way.
but then a swap to an entire new front is NOT necessary.
I feel you but if someone wants the radial calipers, they want radial calipers....

I rode with Tokicos for years on other bikes and they worked just fine for what I was using the bike for.

I was just awaiting the deep cleaning lecture as it was missing from your posts lately....:lol:

Had plenty of 6 plops, brand new bikes, used bikes, stock and upgraded with better pads, lines, fluid etc. I don’t buy into the “they need maintaining“. They were average on a good day and even Suzuki went back to 4-pots on their later non-radial models.

Brembo’s are certainly nice, but even the Tokico’s are no bad thing and a definite upgrade from the 6’s. (I have a Busa and GSX1400 with 6-plops, other Busa’s with radial Tokico’s and radial Brembo’s, all maintained, all ridden back to back)

A B-King front end, although a little softer sprung, is the same fitment as a Gen-2 so widens the search a fraction. A few B-King owners do upgrade so front ends turn up occasionally.

Back