Gen II Air box mod - set it straight

I punched one of those grommets through while installing my right side fairing once. Got out the old leaf blower and stuck the nozzle in the intake. Took a coat hanger and wiggled it around from the airbox side and out she popped. Next time you have your fairings off put a llittle CA glue (superglue) or silicone on the grommet where it goes through the tube and that problem is solved.

I think I read somewhere that sealing the tubes is a waste of time because the engine sucks so much air when running at high speed the pressure in the box is only around 1 psi anyway.

Anyone check this out?

I will have a look in the airbox but it seems much ,more likely that the mysterious grommets would fall into the low spot of the ram air tube and just stay there. That may be why Suz put that dip in the tube--sort of a trap for any foreign objects that might get past the screen on the front ofthe ram air tube...maybe? .

The easy way to get at that dip in the ram air tube would be to reach in from the air box or to remove the screen from the front of the tube. Either case, you will need some skinny arms and hands to get in there. I don't think I can even do it and my hands are sorta on the smaller side (size 8 Medium glove). ...but I will try and if that does not work, I'll take 'em off and pour out whatever is in there. As mentioned above, unsnapping the halves of each tube would be a lot more work and I do not want to do anything to make that seam fit any loser than it already does.

Sorry for going off topic on this very helpful thread about air box sealing. Really, my topic is air box grommet recovery. I will post further info about that closely related topic on this thread I started quite some time ago.https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/161658-ram-air-grommet-hole.html

I'm sure I will return this thread, Gen2 Air box Mod to address issues specific to air box sealing.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Check this out:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gene...27061-does-almighty-hayabusa-really-suck.html

"I think I read somewhere that sealing the tubes is a waste of time because the engine sucks so much air when running at high speed the pressure in the box is only around 1 psi anyway.

Anyone check this out?"

A dedicated ZX-14 owner I know of posted video of a air pressure gauge screwed into his ram air on his Gen1 ZX-14. It did not register very high pressure at all....IDK what the psi was but the point of posting the results of the experiment was to show that the air box did not have as much pressure as you might think. I would like to seal mine up as good as possible just for peace of mind. Also, gonna go turbo some day and then max airbox seal will be a must.

air filters all the way for me! I got my ram air tubes off the bike and found 2 grommets in te left and 1 in the right. Guess I'm set with replacements for a while.

The seal is the opening where the tubes go through the frame and enter the airbox. That's the part you are sealing...
The part that has the foam on it.
throtcabretanr.jpg

Here are the pics from Schnitz' installation instructions. This is where the ram air attaches to the inside of the frame and enters the air box. You grind away the foam, insert the plastic inner sleave and install the rubber cushion seal.
airboxmod.png
http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5025795&showprevnext=1

The airbox is one thong but the ram air tubes are another. Not only do they lack a seal along the seam between the halves of each tube, seems to me that the ram air tubes' connection to the outside of the frame is an even looser fit then what we have with the airbox. Seems like it might be a more important measure to seal where the tubes connect onto the frame. I see from his pics, outlawbusa has used silicone at this joint.

Thanks Got-Busa. Old info is still very relevant to those of us who have just barely gotten started with the modding game. If I am going to seal the ram air tubes (I see they fit very loose where they pass through the frame), might as well seal the air tubes themselves. Silicone seems to be a wise choice since it is easy to remove.

I got the nose off this evening and I can see the whole ram air tube. Yes, there is a non-sealed snap-together seam along the whole perimeter of each tube so that one half of each tube may be disassebled from the other half. I imagine there is some reason that one would find it necessary to dissemble the ram air tube halves but it would definitely be the hard way to remove foreign objects.

The SM shows a diagram of the ram air parts on page 9D-18. Also an exploded view including ram air, p 9D-2. To remove the ram air tubes, it is just one bolt on each that holds them in place. Also, two bolts should be removed from the LH ram air tube to take off the fuse box bracket.

It's actually glued together at the factory they just do a basic (crummy) job. If you are looking to mod it, I think while it's apart it's something to think about... ;)

A dedicated ZX-14 owner I know of posted video of a air pressure gauge screwed into his ram air on his Gen1 ZX-14. It did not register very high pressure at all....IDK what the psi was but the point of posting the results of the experiment was to show that the air box did not have as much pressure as you might think. I would like to seal mine up as good as possible just for peace of mind. Also, gonna go turbo some day and then max airbox seal will be a must.

air filters all the way for me! I got my ram air tubes off the bike and found 2 grommets in te left and 1 in the right. Guess I'm set with replacements for a while.

An old article to read but the airbox pressure is still something to think about on Gen-II's... DRAGBIKE.COM, Headlining News From The Motorcycle Drag Racing World

It's actually glued together at the factory they just do a basic (crummy) job. If you are looking to mod it, I think while it's apart it's something to think about... ;)

An old article to read but the airbox pressure is still something to think about on Gen-II's... DRAGBIKE.COM, Headlining News From The Motorcycle Drag Racing World

That is a hot Gen 1 in that article. Pretty billet seals they have for the Gen1. still prefer plastic seals for weight savings but I must admit to admiring my bikes' beauty inside as much as out. love the blue anodized bellmouths on Schnitz' velocity stacks! hehehe. I would sit and stare any time I opened her up!

I stand corrected on the whole O2 sensor comments, we don't need no stinkin' O2 sensors. I was told about an after market device however that adjusts to altitude and climate changes if you travel but then again I know nuthin' bout it.
My old mid-pipe was full of heavy thin meshed honey-combed restrictive material that I'm so happy to have gone, it's now in my attic where it belongs along with the heavy chrome molybdenum steel headers and boat anchor mufflers.

Oh yeah Gen II air box, hmmm well I just installed a new K&N air filter and the box everyone is talking about looks like it is already sealed, there is nothing to do seems to me??? It is different than the Gen I, there is no flapper, it's just like the bottom of a bucket. What needs to be sealed and is it going to help when I seal whatever it is?
thanks,

I stand corrected on the whole O2 sensor comments, we don't need no stinkin' O2 sensors. I was told about an after market device however that adjusts to altitude and climate changes if you travel but then again I know nuthin' bout it.

Are you referring to the Autotune mod for the PCV?

Auto Tune Kit, Autotune, Power Commander AutoTune

If so you still need an air sniffer but one comes in the package.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/130531-autotune-mod-trim-table.html

Back