Gen I brake upgrade...

NJBusa

Registered
Sorry for beating the dead horse...I have honestly read through tons of threads with tons of responses about this topic and nothing seems to be honestly clear. Or you can't find/get the parts people are posting about. Here is what I am looking for. Simple no modification brake upgrade for my Gen I. I want to keep the cost down. So, if someone can post parts needed and price spent (no through a hook up) that will get this project done so that I feel more comfortable stopping this heavy and fast of a bike please let me know. If you want to PM me some help I would appreciate that as well...Thanks in advance everyone.

One of the best things you can do to upgrade your brakes up front is get a new Brembo MC (i think you can get one from the one of the other bikes like the yama), steel braided brake lines and new high temp sintered pads. You can do this with out making any specific modifications other than just bolting them in place. Getting some mono block calipers would be great but I think you might have to get brackets for them to fit if I'm not mistakened.

As far as the parts go, ebay for the MC and check with Pashnit (he's a member here) for the pads and brake lines.

Should be close 500 or less to do all of it.

For some reason my back brakes are more "mushy" and dont stop as well as my front. I read alot about everyone upgrading their fronts but the rear is where I'm most concerned about however the front will be getting upgraded as well.

I have a list of parts I ordered for my 05 brake upgrade.(FYI the more you buy at one place the bigger the discount they can give you)

4187702 EBC Extreme Performance Brake Pads EPFA188HH
2 $57.42 $114.84
4069019 EBC Double-H Sintered Brake Pads FA63HH
1 $30.01 $30.01
4057942 Galfer Brakes Sportbike Stainless Steel Hydraulic Brake Line FK003D223
1 $79.96 $79.96
4188947 Galfer Brakes Sportbike Stainless Steel Hydraulic Clutch Line FK003D223CL
1 $48.31 $48.31

Galfer special order +12 stainless stell rear break line for Panshanat.com don't remember the price but they gave me a good deal and they are a site sponsor

Best and cheapest upgrade is the braided lines. I thought my brakes were good until I rode a gen2. The big girl is made to go, not stop lol.

As far as the rear brakes being the problem, you may have air in the line. The rear has always been great on my 07 and I would compare it to as good if not better than the 2011

Simple mods at low cost would be change the master cylinder to one from an 07-08 GSXR 1000...they are 19mm bore and allow you to keep using Suzuki parts and plug'n'play wiring.
SBS or Carbon Lorrraine pads and braided lines.
Master 2nd hand for about £60-100
Pads....£50-£70
Lines...£50

After trying that out I fitted a radial adaptor kit for £120 and a set of Tokico Radial calipers again from a GSXR 07> for £120.......this also allows the use of Bking Nissin caliper or the newer Brembo GSXR / Busa units.

Everything sourced via Ebay / local breakers.

Rear brake master is 1/2" bore so for a wee bit more bite try the GSXR 1000 07 unit which is 14mm..again all a complete swap out in minutes job.

So, looks like what I will attempt first before anything is steel braided lines, gsxr1000 rear MC, and some new pads and fluids....sound about right? Now what pads would be a good choice to run with stock calipers?

So, looks like what I will attempt first before anything is steel braided lines, gsxr1000 rear MC, and some new pads and fluids....sound about right? Now what pads would be a good choice to run with stock calipers?

I don't use my rear brakes too heavy so I can't give you much input on them but most rear brakes aren't as powerful as the front just because their smaller and only one disc. Too easy to get into trouble with some really powerful rear brakes.

However, a new set of brake lines front and rear, new MC and new pads would be a good starting point. I used Galfer Sintered brake pads and like them. Got them from Pashnit.com. Pashnit is a member here and a good dude. Answered all my questions quick and sent my stuff out to me really quick. Think it was less than a week from order to arrival from the west coast to the southeast. Good stuff

I don't use my rear brakes too heavy so I can't give you much input on them but most rear brakes aren't as powerful as the front just because their smaller and only one disc. Too easy to get into trouble with some really powerful rear brakes.

However, a new set of brake lines front and rear, new MC and new pads would be a good starting point. I used Galfer Sintered brake pads and like them. Got them from Pashnit.com. Pashnit is a member here and a good dude. Answered all my questions quick and sent my stuff out to me really quick. Think it was less than a week from order to arrival from the west coast to the southeast. Good stuff

Never tried and Honda,KTM or Yamaha then....lock up the rear with toe pressure never mind foot effort.

Upping the rear brake helps big time on the Busa when touring 2 up or in bad road conditions were using the front ain't a good idea....also fun being able to back it into junctions.

For some reason my back brakes are more "mushy" and dont stop as well as my front. I read alot about everyone upgrading their fronts but the rear is where I'm most concerned about however the front will be getting upgraded as well.

Forget about the rear brakes - just keep them operational in case you ever need to stop in the gravel or on the grass, or in case the front fails. All other times, you gotta use the front only. I had the same set of rear pads for many years, LOL. If you are tight on funds, the only upgrade for the front you need is a set of HH pads. Most folks go with EBC HH pads. however a few years ago per advice of a track coach I tried, loved, and stay with Vesrah pads - get JL type. RJL type is better, but they are a lot more expensive. You can look up either of those for your bike. Check ebay first...

Better pads make a very noticeable improvement in braking power and feel. Braided lines help with the feel, but not as much as some perceive.

Back