Front Brake Upgrade

Scooter

Registered
I asked this in another thread, but no one replied, so I'll try here:

I know replacing the pads AND the lines together make a big improvement in front braking power, but....

Which SINGLE mod is the best bang for the bucK? Pads OR stainless lines?

(Also, please suggest a brand to shop for.)

I honestly have stock pads and lines, but from what I have heard people say, the stainlees lines have a big improvement over the stock lines, I would think they would be a better choice if you where only going to do one.

Any SS line, but the combo works better. I have Galfer, but there others probably as good.

Id go with the pads before he lines. Go with a set of HH pads and bleed out the system.

pads first ! easier to do , and will give you more bite !
biggrin.gif

HH Pads if you have to choose between the two.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129565496 -->

I did replace stock pads to HH. Rode for a while, and then replaced stock lines with SS ones. I did that on Katana at the time. Then, followed the same scenario for the Busa.

Replacing pads alone, improved the braking very noticeably. I would say 30 - 40% less effort. SS brake lines however did not improve braking so dramatically. They gave me a finer feel for the brakes, and maybe added extra 5 - 10% of braking improvement.

On a side note, I would say that keeping your rotors clean makes a difference, too. Just look at the paper towel after you wipe the rotors with it.
__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

<!--EDIT|IG.
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129563364 -->

Go with the lines, they will give you a little better feel because there is no flex when on the brake lever hard.

Pads, like tires its the mating compound that makes all the difference! But, couple the pads with lines and up graded braking components... .Hang on you'll be doing stoppies without effort!

I asked this in another thread, but no one replied, so I'll try here:

I know replacing the pads AND the lines together make a big improvement in front braking power, but....

Which SINGLE mod is the best bang for the bucK?  Pads OR stainless lines?

(Also, please suggest a brand to shop for.)
I have both, Pads first then lines. Niether are all "that" expensive when you consider prices on other mods.

I have put HH pads on both my busa and on my ZRX. IMHO, the pads make a noticable difference- almost to the point of making it worthwhile to caution you not to grab quite as big a mitfull of brakes the first time you use them.

SS Lines do improve feel and arguably will increase braking efficiency to the extent that line swelling is subtracted from piston movement; but overall, the pad material is what makes the MOST difference.

I switched pads when the fronts where about half worn.... not that big of a difference to me.. mainly made the lever feel better because it had new pads... not as much pull to make em' work.

the SS lines were an amazing difference to me... the feel is 100% better.. it's alot easier to hit "maximum braking power" with the lines... plus they never fade.. even if your punishing them on a track.

SS lines will be the first mod I do to all future bikes.

There are two grades of pads stock suzuki pads are already the best grade, the hydraulic lines do not flex so changing those is just bling & no improvement, biggest low cost improvement if your disc's are between in 4.5mm to 5mm thick have them ground flat. Or upgrade the master cylinder so it has a bigger bore this puts more pressure on your disc's when you pull your brake lever. I ride my bike hard & like to pull stoppy's you will have much more responsive feel and be able ride faster more safely in the rain... I am currently installing an ABS system on my brakes & launch control on my busa... check the temp on your disc's after you have ridden your bike do the 2 front disc's feel equally as hot? If one is slightly cooler then the other focus on that disc & caliper you sometimes suffer from slightly sticky seal on one piston. If you need to replace the seals do the pistons as well the slightest ding or mark on the pistons plays havoc with the brakes....

enjoy your bike :thumbsup:

reason new pads give you extra bite is new pads are thicker then the ones your replacing. If you replace the pads you will need to bleed the brakes so the next improvement is all down to how well you bleed your brakes.

lines first if you have to pick between the 2. pads naturally have all the bite they can deliver, adding the SS lines increases line pressure due to the resistance of expanding because of the SS core. lines are easier to do than pads, cuz if you're gonna do pads, you might as well take the calipers completely apart and make sure they r 100% clean..

I have SS lines and love the feel. I am going to need new pads soon and am looking forward to the performance gain.

pads first or i think one of the site sponsers may be running a special for a combo ss lines and pads..:thumbsup:

Back