Gen 2 Trunk Mod

Did mine the other day, WELL worth the effort and made for a nice cheap project! Having an extended arm, I was able to go a little bit deeper, the bottom of the trash can is completely flush with my tail section. :) HUGE THANKS to the OP for the idea!!

IMG_4862.jpg

IMG_4866.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4925.jpg

IMG_4927.jpg

IMG_4935.jpg

Alright, who is going to make me one.....???

These guys don't have trash cans, they just throw their trash in the street....:down:.... How much will it cost guys... c'mon.. who is up for it, I know someone is bored...:laugh:

Alright, who is going to make me one.....???

These guys don't have trash cans, they just throw their trash in the street....:down:.... How much will it cost guys... c'mon.. who is up for it, I know someone is bored...:laugh:

Holler at me when you come home, I'm not far.

I picked up the garbage can today. What size rivets are you guys using? I know it probably doesn't matter, but just wondering if there is something that works best

Thanks,
Justin

justindwright said:
I picked up the garbage can today. What size rivets are you guys using? I know it probably doesn't matter, but just wondering if there is something that works best

Thanks,
Justin

You can use whatever size you want. For me the rivets did not hold because the plastic is too soft to hold them. Mine is bolted now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Forum Runner

I used stainless 1/4" bolts with fender washers and locking nuts. Gives it a bit of raw industrial look too!

Black plastic lincense plate bolts work good too(available at most any auto parts stores).

After reading some of this yesterday I went to HD this am and got my trashcan and jumped on it. I did it without taking the bottom section out as one other member did. I took the electric knife and cut most of mine out and then took the razor knife and trimmed it up. With my bike being lowered I could only go about 4.5 deep. Still a lot more room then I had. I also bolted mine in as twotonevert did. I only used 4 bolts. (1/4") with lock washers. 2 in the front and 1 on each side need the back. I somehow ended up cutting one of the turn single wires where it plugs into the bike. Something told me to check it before I installed everything and am glad I did. Turned a 2 hr job into about 3 but at least I got it. I meant to take some pics but after cutting the wire I just forgot. I still cant put my rainsuite in there but sure can carry more then I use to. Thanks for the great write ups. Love the org :thumbsup::thumbsup:

After reading some of this yesterday I went to HD this am and got my trashcan and jumped on it. I did it without taking the bottom section out as one other member did. I took the electric knife and cut most of mine out and then took the razor knife and trimmed it up. With my bike being lowered I could only go about 4.5 deep. Still a lot more room then I had. I also bolted mine in as twotonevert did. I only used 4 bolts. (1/4") with lock washers. 2 in the front and 1 on each side need the back. I somehow ended up cutting one of the turn single wires where it plugs into the bike. Something told me to check it before I installed everything and am glad I did. Turned a 2 hr job into about 3 but at least I got it. I meant to take some pics but after cutting the wire I just forgot. I still cant put my rainsuite in there but sure can carry more then I use to. Thanks for the great write ups. Love the org :thumbsup::thumbsup:

What no pics?! :) I did mine as well without taking the bottom plastic off, I didn't feel like taking the reservoir off so I just cut it out with a utility knife.

Yea it got so hot here today 86 I think. After cutting the wire and searching for it for 30 min I was beat. The electric knife worked real good for me until it got dull. Its amazing how fas WD 40 makes that thing move :laugh:

Yea it got so hot here today 86 I think. After cutting the wire and searching for it for 30 min I was beat. The electric knife worked real good for me until it got dull. Its amazing how fas WD 40 makes that thing move :laugh:

lol, it's 85 here in Louisiana right now! :) I feel ya though, I did all mine in the comfort of my living room. :)

Cant load pics. Still trying:laugh:

Got em. 4 1/2 deep in case you cant make it out. One pic i have never seen unless I missed it was the cut out at the back where the tail light it. Mine came out pretty good but I have to take it back apart to get a pic. Sorry cant do that:banghead: :laugh:

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

Yeah you're right, I don't think I've seen it too. Like you, my tail was already on for that pic and couldn't get it. Plus I did have to modify mine while fitting the tail, it was too tall and had to cut it down a little to go around the light.

Thanks for the pics! :)

Did mine last night, made it too deep, it rubbed a little bit. But damn I love the trunk space!!! lol I think I need to bring it up about 1.5-2inches. My bike is stock ride height, I weigh 200lbs and these bumpy michigan roads suck! lol

I was thinking about leaving it in the position it is in and taking a heat gun and heating it up and pushing it in a little at the bottom to contour the tire a little bit.

So basically a 9x12 trash can won't work? Didn't think it was so hard to find a trash can. Lol

I picked mine up at wal-mart. Wasn't hard to find, didn't measure it...just looked for a 7.5gal and took my chances. I believe you can find cheaper cans out there though, in hindsight I wish I'd looked at the dollar store first.

Yes, the 9 x 12 works just fine. You will have to cut what ever you put in there. I got mine at Home Depo It's the same one listed in this thread.
Home Depot sku 640-484 28qt Office Waste Basket.

Back