Gen 2 Pump Not Priming

danath 34

Registered
Hey guys... Hoping someone out there in the .Org could help me out on this. It's probably something amateur I've overlooked, but I did do several searches and didn't turn up anything.

Anyway, the other day, the bike died and would not start again. No error lights on the dash, and the bike will try to crank over but won't start. Seems like it's not getting fuel. When I turn on the key, I do not hear the pump prime, so I initially thought I needed a new fuel pump. Changed the fuel pump, and same thing happens. Key on, pump doesn't prime, but the starter does kick on, it just doesn't fire. So I don't think it's kickstand, clutch, or tip over sensors.

I tested the battery, and it's right at 12V. However, turning on the key it drops to 11.5V. Small drop, but is this normal?

Also, voltage measured at the connector under the tank for the pump reads 10.5V. Is that normal? Makes me think it isn't the relay, but not sure if that's too low....

Any ideas?

*edit* it's got an alienhead and PC3, but the lights on the PC3 come on and respond to the throttle, so I'm not thinking its the PC, but figured I'd mention it.

Hey guys... Hoping someone out there in the .Org could help me out on this. It's probably something amateur I've overlooked, but I did do several searches and didn't turn up anything.

Anyway, the other day, the bike died and would not start again. No error lights on the dash, and the bike will try to crank over but won't start. Seems like it's not getting fuel. When I turn on the key, I do not hear the pump prime, so I initially thought I needed a new fuel pump. Changed the fuel pump, and same thing happens. Key on, pump doesn't prime, but the starter does kick on, it just doesn't fire. So I don't think it's kickstand, clutch, or tip over sensors.

I tested the battery, and it's right at 12V. However, turning on the key it drops to 11.5V. Small drop, but is this normal?

Also, voltage measured at the connector under the tank for the pump reads 10.5V. Is that normal? Makes me think it isn't the relay, but not sure if that's too low....

Any ideas?

*edit* it's got an alienhead and PC3, but the lights on the PC3 come on and respond to the throttle, so I'm not thinking its the PC, but figured I'd mention it.
These things need a strong 12+volt battery to start and run the pump..

Is your gear indicator showing properly?

Bike is in neutral and gear indicator agrees.
Are you thinking it might be battery? Starter cranks with a gusto, but admittedly, this is a wally world battery. Granted, the best battery wally world had, but still a wally world battery. Any ideas on how I could test to confirm it's the battery?

Bike is in neutral and gear indicator agrees.
Are you thinking it might be battery? Starter cranks with a gusto, but admittedly, this is a wally world battery. Granted, the best battery wally world had, but still a wally world battery. Any ideas on how I could test to confirm it's the battery?
Put a volt meter on the battery and crank the engine with the starter . . look at the voltage reading while cranking . . anything below 10 volts is suspect.
Other way is to remove the battery and charge it to full on a smart bike charger.
Then load test the battery at a bike shop. They will tell you the result and if it's needing replacement.
Have you checked the fuel pump fuse and fuse connection ?
Have you checked for power supply (battery voltage 12 or preferably more volts) up to the fuel pump connector ?
Have you checked the ground wire continuity from the fuel pump connector to ground on the battery terminal ?
Doing these checks takes all the guesswork out of it, instead of guessing and throwing expensive parts at it in the hope that it will fix the problem.
If you have battery voltage and a solid ground to the fuel pump, the problem must be the pump is faulty.
If you do not have battery voltage or ground to the pump, you need to trace the circuit back using the ohm meter function on a multimeter.

Back