Fuel pump not priming

Mulletsnax

Registered
Ok so was riding my busa to the store. Decided to get on it 1st gear revved to redline and died right before I shifted. Thought I was low on gas since my light is always on. So put some gas in it. Still won’t start. Bring it home. Take the pump out. Hook it up. Won’t start. I put it directly to power and it spins. I check the fuse by the ignition it’s good.
Fuel relay I hear clicking when I turn the key on. When I unplug the relay I get c41. I’m buying a multimeter tomorrow morning. Any tips or advice.
Can I bypass the relay? And if it is the pump I heard you can use a car pump out of the Suzuki? Anyone have the part number.

Can I bypass the relay? I think I’ve read this relay controls other things. I don’t think it’s bad since I don’t get a c41 unless I unplug it. Can we hardwire the fuel pump?

Ok so was riding my busa to the store. Decided to get on it 1st gear revved to redline and died right before I shifted. Thought I was low on gas since my light is always on. So put some gas in it. Still won’t start. Bring it home. Take the pump out. Hook it up. Won’t start. I put it directly to power and it spins. I check the fuse by the ignition it’s good.
Fuel relay I hear clicking when I turn the key on. When I unplug the relay I get c41. I’m buying a multimeter tomorrow morning. Any tips or advice.
Can I bypass the relay? And if it is the pump I heard you can use a car pump out of the Suzuki? Anyone have the part number.
More info...Died suddenly like a power issue? Or coughed and sputtered for a sec,like fuel starvation? Yes,relay can be by-passed for testing purposes.A different pump can be used,but you are inviting a bit of a hassle as opposed to the "plug n' play" of a stock Busa item. Unless you know what the rate of fuel delivery is,and the PSI it is pumping at,a different pump will be a guessing game.
Can I bypass the relay? I think I’ve read this relay controls other things. I don’t think it’s bad since I don’t get a c41 unless I unplug it. Can we hardwire the fuel pump?
Yes and yes. What year Busa? The color codes on the wiring can be different. Assuming you want me/us to tell you which wire your going to jump.
Look at kickstand switch. Tip over sensor. Few things that won’t let the pump run.

:thumbsup:

Rubb.

2004 busa.
The bike still tries to crank. I wasn’t sure if the kickstand sensor or tip over would still allow it to happen. It just kinda died. I don’t think it stuttered.

2004 busa.
The bike still tries to crank. I wasn’t sure if the kickstand sensor or tip over would still allow it to happen. It just kinda died. I don’t think it stuttered.
If mem serves me correct the kickstand sensor and the TOS kill the ignition,fuel pump,fuel injectors. Just cutting the fuel pump would not be qwik or safe enuff. I believe turning the key on would still sweep the gauges,lite the headlite,etc,but nothing else. Could be wrong thou...

If your bike is running and you flick the kickstand down while in gear,motor dies. Not from just/or from fuel being cut, it cuts the ignition.
Tip over switch,same thing. If activated,bike is dead in the water.It will not run,but lites,etc will stay on.
But I have been known to know nothing. :laugh:
Rubb.

That’s what I thought. But the bike cranks. Just zero prime from the fuel pump. But fuse looks good. Relay clicks and when I hardwire the fuel pump it spins.

That’s what I thought. But the bike cranks. Just zero prime from the fuel pump. But fuse looks good. Relay clicks and when I hardwire the fuel pump it spins.
So hardwired it spins.Cool. Does the bike then start?
Rubb.

I only hardwired it when I pulled the fuel pump out of the tank. I’m not exactly sure how to hardwire and connect it

I did go to the hardware store buy a multimeter and test light, some wires and clips and a fuel pump out of a Suzuki aeiro just in case and not make a second trip to town. The test light shows I’m getting power at the clip where you plug in the fuel pump. But the pump isn’t priming. Hooke up the new pump I bought in place of of the old pump with new wiring/clips so I can reuse the old if I need to. Still not priming. This is all weird to me

I did go to the hardware store buy a multimeter and test light, some wires and clips and a fuel pump out of a Suzuki aeiro just in case and not make a second trip to town. The test light shows I’m getting power at the clip where you plug in the fuel pump. But the pump isn’t priming. Hooke up the new pump I bought in place of of the old pump with new wiring/clips so I can reuse the old if I need to. Still not priming. This is all weird to me
Just a guess but... bad ground/ground wire.Put yer stock pump back in,give it power and ground straight from the batt (with in-line fuse,so has not to blow anything) see what happens.
Rubb.

Just a guess but... bad ground/ground wire.Put yer stock pump back in,give it power and ground straight from the batt (with in-line fuse,so has not to blow anything) see what happens.
Rubb.
If that works,and I think it will,we can fix it from there. Bench tests are great and all,but nothing beats testing componants where they are. 1 by 1 you take things outa the equation.
Rubb.

I figured it out. A wire came loose. That magnetic clip seems to be pretty worn out and not secure. The test light i bought figured it out. I took a strand of 20g copper wire and helped fit it more snug and it primes and does great. BUT. Now it’s leaking pretty good out of the same connector when I install. There isn’t any kind of rubber only 3 little rubber washers. Any advice on how to get a solid seal?
A5996B9A-ED94-45D4-B810-49B545D1D107.jpeg

I figured it out. A wire came loose. That magnetic clip seems to be pretty worn out and not secure. The test light i bought figured it out. I took a strand of 20g copper wire and helped fit it more snug and it primes and does great. BUT. Now it’s leaking pretty good out of the same connector when I install. There isn’t any kind of rubber only 3 little rubber washers. Any advice on how to get a solid seal?View attachment 1622472
So it was electrical to the pump. Cool.
Leak: See if that part is available. From where its leaking back to the first coupling. The backyard bob approach could be takin',but I wouldn't trust it.
Search that part on-line or call yer local Zook dealer.
I have a good line to source...can try and look it up for you and/or provide a link.
Rubb.

I can not find that exact part listed any where,which leads me to believe those wires are a 1 time only factory pressed in type of deal.
Could be wrong,a good parts counter guy may know.I have never repaired that exact wire locale before.
I wouldn't trust some sort of goop to seal that up,even if it was as advertised as being impervious to fuels.
Rubb.

well kinda. Put bike back together and it started but was super rough. Decided to replace spark plugs. Now it just cranks and cranks. I’ve never taken anything to a dealer... but I’m considering taking this.

Did you reconnect everything when you replaced the plugs?

Back