Gen 2 Clutch CLUNK! [VIDEO]

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
2014 Gen 2 w/ 28k mi
Is this amount of play normal?

When the bike is cold (I mean not at FULL op temp) and in 1st, releasing the lever results in the same sound you can hear in the vid ... clanking via my hand. Once the bike is warm I never hear it again. Never hear it in any other gear.

While inside clutch, I checked bolt tension. All good, and no wear on cover plate.

2014 Gen 2 w/ 28k mi
Is this amount of play normal?

When the bike is cold (I mean not at FULL op temp) and in 1st, releasing the lever results in the same sound you can hear in the vid ... clanking via my hand. Once the bike is warm I never hear it again. Never hear it in any other gear.

While inside clutch, I checked bolt tension. All good, and no wear on cover plate.
Time to fit a Brocks clutch mod me thinks.

You know the bike that competes with the Hayabusa? Yeah, that one. They all make a single clunk into first gear when cold, clutch lever pulled. What you did with your hand sounds more like a rattle and it happens as you release the lever. I'd say that carrier the pressure plate bolts to is shaking as you engage the pressure plate against the outer fiber. The plates really stick like a magnet when the oil is cold. Once the oil warms up, the plates glide a lot easier.

The motorcycle clutch I'm familiar with has a pressure plate that bolts right into the basket. This one is something new. Did the Gen2 Hayabusas have that same setup?

Time to fit a Brocks clutch mod me thinks.
"The Brock's Performance Clutch Mod assembly disables the factory Suzuki back-torque cam assembly (sometimes mistakenly known as a "slipper clutch")" (quoted from here).

I did not know this

The motorcycle clutch I'm familiar with has a pressure plate that bolts right into the basket. This one is something new. Did the Gen2 Hayabusas have that same setup?
I would say that's a no, right??

"The Brock's Performance Clutch Mod assembly disables the factory Suzuki back-torque cam assembly (sometimes mistakenly known as a "slipper clutch")" (quoted from here).

I did not know this

I would say that's a no, right??
Some get the back plate welded as well...there are many old threads on this subject...

I never bothered as I've never had any issues with mine..

Some get the back plate welded as well...there are many old threads on this subject...

I never bothered as I've never had any issues with mine..
Just finished all those threads and as a result, the bike is buttoned back up. As one of those older posts suggests, I'm gonna ride it til something breaks cuz then I'll know what it was went wrong ... :crazy:

Just finished all those threads and as a result, the bike is buttoned back up. As one of those older posts suggests, I'm gonna ride it til something breaks cuz then I'll know what it was went wrong ... :crazy:
Last summer my clutch was making an ever so slight noise that I noticed was increasing...I took my cover off and found a couple clutch pack bolts just barely starting to touch the cover as they had become loose...

A little Locktite later and they are good to go..I got real lucky with that one...it pays to listen and know the sounds of your bike.

Back