Gen 1 Hayabusa Questions

Brock371

Registered
So don't get all crazy on me. This is my first Hayabusa and I have a few questions about it.

1- I was playing around with it the other day and noticed that I have cracked my sprocket cover that holds the clutch cyl. What would you guys recommend to fix this issue? If you have something that works to solve the breaking issues please let me know.

2- I noticed that when I pulled in the clutch all the way it made a grinding sound and the clutch basket side. could the push rod be hitting into something which caused the clutch cover to break?

3- I need to do the starter upgrade. Do I need to just replace the gear that makes contact with the starter shaft and replace the starter covers or is there more involved than that?

Guys I hope I'm not wasting your time. I'm new here and have a TON to learn. Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you

YES! That most definitely needs to be taken care of. The (Clutch Release Cylinder) is held in place and pushes against the (Engine Sprocket Cover). I have an 04. Still has the Sprocket Cover that it came with. If the bike is stock I'd just replace the cover. If you have mods let us know what they are. And what year it is can be helpful too.

People will chime in but use the search function I know the starter upgrade is not as simple as it sounds. You will see great write ups with pics and the details.

Congrats in the new machine.

YES! That most definitely needs to be taken care of. The (Clutch Release Cylinder) is held in place and pushes against the (Engine Sprocket Cover). I have an 04. Still has the Sprocket Cover that it came with. If the bike is stock I'd just replace the cover. If you have mods let us know what they are. And what year it is can be helpful too.

Thanks for the quick response. Its a 2001 hayabusa 1300 and does have heavier springs in the clutch. I personally couldn't tell you whats in there because I just bought it but they did say it was changed. The engine sprocket cover has a piece installed to help support the clutch release cylinder. I'll try to upload a picture.

People will chime in but use the search function I know the starter upgrade is not as simple as it sounds. You will see great write ups with pics and the details.

Congrats in the new machine.

Thank you. I will keep trying to find info on it. Sorry for probably asking the same question that's been asked a million times.

Number 2 sounds like you have some clutch basket bolts backing out.

This is exactly what is going on in the right side of this motor. The spring "stands" are backing out of the inner clutch basket. The clutch has to come apart, those stands need to be lock-tited, and the clutch reassembled. Replace anything that needs replacement, the inner clutch cover is probably gouged to hell, you can clean that up, but changing the oil is necessary . . .

1- I was playing around with it the other day and noticed that I have cracked my sprocket cover that holds the clutch cyl. What would you guys recommend to fix this issue? If you have something that works to solve the breaking issues please let me know.

2- I noticed that when I pulled in the clutch all the way it made a grinding sound and the clutch basket side. could the push rod be hitting into something which caused the clutch cover to break?

Replace the clutch cover. I would buy one off of Ebay from a used parts supplier if it looks like the finish is in good condition and the price is half of new. Otherwise, you can probably get a cheap Asian made cover that will look nice and work fine. There are probably dampers in the OEM cover to reduce noise and protect your foot if the chain wraps around the engine sprocket and busts out. IDK if a cheap cover would have that. I see Schnitz sells an aftermarket cover. Nice but trust me, billet engine covers usually weigh more than stockers if you are at all concerned about reducing the weight of the bike.

If you didn't drop the bike, I can't believe the additional pressure of HD springs would cause it to crack but that's all I can think of.

It seems possible the clutch plates might have been installed in the wrong order and increased the clutch pack height. The proper order is rather complicated.

Otherwise, maybe the throwout bearing is not seating in the pressure plate as it should because the crack is allowing the pusher rod to travel off center.

I'd start by removing the clutch cover to see if you can determine what's going n in there. It may just be the pressure plate bolts backing out. There was a recall years back to tighten those bolts.

If you had any wear from parts moving roughly against one another, this is not a horendous part of the motor to have that happen. Any metal shavings would flow right down to the oil pan and be filtered or screened out. It seems unlikely you would have suffered any engine damage.

The countersprocket cover is what needs to be replaced, and a good slave support installed. We have seen countersprocket covers crack because of heavy duty springs alone. Clutch pack height is not going to change spring height, all it will do is increase or decrease overall pressure. And there is no throw out bearing to go off center - the clutch push rod (#20) goes right down the middle of the input shaft, and there is a clutch pusher (#22) - (looks like a valve) that also sits in the bore of the input shaft. The spring stands, or "studs" (#6) that the spring bolts screw into is what backs out, this was a common issue a few years back. Although to be fair, we know someone was in there and messed up a few things. Nothing that can't be fixed . . . here is a diagram, if that helps:

clutch diagram.png

Back