Gen 1, 2006 Soft at low RPMs

LeeFL2

Registered
Hey guys, just wanted some ideas.

Bike is an 06 with 27k miles.

She is starting to feel a litle soft comin out of a stop. Once she rols she hauls ass but that transition from 1100 to2000 rpm feels underpowered rather than crisp instant power. It is nothing anyone without a keen ear could notice but I do since I know her pretty well. She has a Power Comander with a generic map for a air intake and a muzzy 4-1.

I just replaced the plugs and did an oil change and she is a teeny bit better but I feel she needs some work to get her to torque up at them low rpms. I was thinkin a TB sync, valve adjustment??? and if that fails a custom map and a serious look at the AF curve.

Any ideas?

Hey guys, just wanted some ideas.

Bike is an 06 with 27k miles.

She is starting to feel a litle soft comin out of a stop. Once she rols she hauls ass but that transition from 1100 to2000 rpm feels underpowered rather than crisp instant power. It is nothing anyone without a keen ear could notice but I do since I know her pretty well. She has a Power Comander with a generic map for a air intake and a muzzy 4-1.

I just replaced the plugs and did an oil change and she is a teeny bit better but I feel she needs some work to get her to torque up at them low rpms. I was thinkin a TB sync, valve adjustment??? and if that fails a custom map and a serious look at the AF curve.

Any ideas?

Don't mess around - do a custom map; your bike deserves it, and so do you! :thumbsup:

instead of paying someone to do it for ya. take that money and buy a manometer. i purchased a carbtune about 2 years ago and it has paid for itself several times over.

yes. much nicer idle. and the first 10% of throttle is very crisp and responsive

Yes, you should synch your throttle bodies. But I'm willing to bet it will have little or no effect on your main complaint - lack of power down low.:whistle:

Please let us know!:beerchug:

If you want to do it right, adjust your valves, then synch the throttle bodies. But agree with Frank /Powerhouse that this not likely to be your problem.

Perhaps an aging O2 sensor?

instead of paying someone to do it for ya. take that money and buy a manometer. i purchased a carbtune about 2 years ago and it has paid for itself several times over.

Yes, I have a carbtune and used it on my yamaha stratoliner. I do all my own work. Thanks!!

yes. much nicer idle. and the first 10% of throttle is very crisp and responsive

Good to know. Will do!!:beerchug:

Yes, you should synch your throttle bodies. But I'm willing to bet it will have little or no effect on your main complaint - lack of power down low.:whistle:

Please let us know!:beerchug:

What do you think that the problem source is? AF ratio?

If you want to do it right, adjust your valves, then synch the throttle bodies. But agree with Frank /Powerhouse that this not likely to be your problem.

Perhaps an aging O2 sensor?

My bike is an 06 andhas no O2 sensor...??????

Valves and then sync sounds like a plan!!:beerchug:

Do you actually HAVE a Muzzy 4-1 or did you just map it to that? I ask because I had a Muzzy pipe on one of my other bikes, and after over 50 Dyno runs trying to get it to at least equal the stock low end power, I took that POS off and ditched it for good.

With the Muzzy, the bike lost 5 to 8hp and at least as much lb/ft under 6k compared to stock, no matter HOW many attempts were made to rectify that. In fairness, it did make 12 hp more at the very top, but the bike was an absolute pig unless it was ridden WFO.

Ultimately it was determined the pipe was the culprit... despite Muzzy's claims of it being a 4-2-1 pipe, it was not. It DEFINITELY was a 4-1, and Im certain that hurt the low end.
Not a cheap piece either, with Ti pipes and a Carbon can.
:banghead:
Maybe some guys have luck with Muzzy products?? I wouldnt take a free Muzzy pipe if it came with Megan Fox...

(Well, maybe if it came with Megan Fox, but I'd still lose that pipe immediately.)

I have the Muzzy 4-2-1 Street Megaphone. It sounds great and ran great until the last 10k miles it started to bog down a bit at lows and I believe it lost power accross the band but it is more noticeable on take off since I have to rev higher and slip the ckutch more to get her to fly.

It seems by what you've said (that it used to run great) that by default, its gotta be something else.
I think its time to get those TB's synched and check the valve adjustment. 27k is a LONG time to go without doing that.
A nice sharp dyno-tune for the springtime?? Sounds like a plan.
:dunno:

Yeah, Major, that is exactly what I was thinking. When valves are sloppy, they tend to open a little late and that would cause less fuel/air at the beggining of the cycle, thus less power accross the band. :beerchug:

also spark plugs, air filter, all the normal maintenance stuff.

In that regard she is allways babbied!!:cheerleader:

And I work as a marine mechanic for a livin! My customers engines are better cared than my own!:laugh:

In reality, I was puttin it off. Seems like a pain in the a$$ due to not being set via screw but different size shims that need to be added. Arghhh!

sounds like what I had going on. My #2 and #3 intake valves needed adjusting. If you've never had it done You may want to consider it. I'd do all the other easy stuff first. Disconnect your PCIII and see if it changes. Even if something else fixes your problem don't over look the valve adj sooner rather than later. Just say'n

Before you dive into the heavy duty stuff, spend a few mintutes and check if TPS is OFF. This greatly affects the engine at low RPM.

Somehow, I doubt it's your valves - I don't remember anyone with your mileage needing valve adjustments, and I don't remember those who needed adjustment having your symptom. My '01 is at 30k, and I plan to check valves shortly - for the first time ever.

I also doubt it's your throttle bodies being out of sync. If it was the case, your idle would be fluctuating rapidly instead of staying at a certain rpm.

Back