Gel Seat

I just put my gel seat on and rode 300 miles today. My butt is killing me. What's the deal with the break-in period? How long before I stop regretting spending $150 to get buttsores worse than a stock seat would give? I'm for real! You guys that love your gel...can you talk me out of hating mine? :whistle:

just give it some time, two more rides like that and it'll be broken in...

I have a Suzuki gel seat. It does a much better job than standard. I have put in over 2000 miles in a week in France and had no issues.

The biggest problem IMHO if your arse is hurting is the pegs not the seat. I changed the pegs to Buell ones, that was a much bigger difference than the changing to a gel seat alone.

IMHO £300 for a Tobin is way too much for the gain over a gel seat. If your that uncomfortable, but a different bike?

Jza

just give it some time, two more rides like that and it'll be broken in...

Thanks for the input. My fiancee is in school 150 miles away so I will get plenty more 300mi days in before the end of May. :D

Oh, and I'm already riding with Buell pegs, 1" risers and the Heli bars 1.5" up and back. So, if this seat breaks in and rides nice, I'll be sittin pretty. (Now if only it wasn't so ugly from dropping it at Barber last October...twice.) hehe

Last edited:
Yep, a couple of 100 or 200 hundred mile rides and it will feel much better than stock. I could feel some spots on the pan on the stock seat. I have not felt anything like that on the gel seat.

So what I have read above the Gel on the Gen II will work great for a Larger rider like my self 6'8" 265LB. The corbin seat tho looks like it puts you higher on the bike than the gel seat.

Mike1180 how tall are you and how was your experience with the corbin? I emailed them yesterday about custom color order. Due you slide around much on it.

I'm 33.33/33.33/33.33 on getting the Gel/corbin/tobin. Help shift me one way or the other.

Give it a try. You could send your stock seat in & have both!

Thanks all for the responses...sounds like, for the most part, everyone was pleased with the gel seat! Of course it's all about preference. Main reason for not getting the Tobin is because its lower than the stock seat = even less leg room! Think I'll give the gel seat a shot...never know unless you try! Thanks again for all the input :beerchug:

Back