gearing question

joncook06

Registered
I have a 08 Busa 1 down in the front and stock in the back right before I cross the 1/4 mile line I'm shifting into 5 th. Is this where I want to be gearing wise or should I get to 6th gear. Thanks for any help.
Posted via Mobile Device

You should be at the top of 4th.

Go up 2 in the rear...and see where
-1 front and +2 rear puts you at the line.
Posted via Mobile Device

The goal is to cross the traps in the top of 4th gear, and not shifting into 5th. If you are crossing through the traps in 5th now start adding teeth in the rear until you cross in the top of 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I think I'm confused I'm already I'm 5 th with my current set up. If I go up 2 I'm the back wouldn't that put me in 5th sooner
Posted via Mobile Device

The more teeth you add in the back makes you get threw the gears faster. On my 1k I'm mid way threw 5th.

!1st ?? How much do you weigh? What rpms are you shifting? I drag race my 08 I am using all 6 gears. gearing is 16/52. @ 64" I launch @ 7,000 and shift @ 11,000.
I do weigh 350 pounds all geared up, so I do need all that gearing to get moving off the line. I hit 6th gear @ around 1,000 ft and the shift lite is on right at the line. My best run to date is a 9.62 @ nearly 147 mph on a stock motor,no internal mods just a TiForce pipe. I have it setup to run 9.80 all day long its very consistant at that setup.

I'm 210 my best is 9.92 at 143 mph with 60 ft in the 1.7s. I know my 60s need a lot of work. I'm shifting about 11.5 but still tweaking the Airshifter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Anybody ? I'm trying to find out what gear u want to be in. So I can find out if I need a new sprocket, but I need a target gear please.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ultimatly you want to use all 6 gears. It all depends on how aggresive you want to be. If you want to got all out ET/speed in the 1/4 I would go +4 or +5 on the rear sprocket and -2 on the front. Are you @ stock wheelbase or extended? When I 1st started racing I was hitting 4th at 1100' and the shift light was on when I crossed the line,but I was only using the stock gearing. I made the change to -2 and +4 and then kept going with a larger rear sprocket eventually getting to 6th gear and the light comes on as I cross the finish line and thats where you want to be. If you choose to get more aggresive then it would be a good idea to extend the wheelbase cuz with more gear it will wheelie. I hope this helps . If ya have any more ?? send me a pm and I can send you my ph# and I can talk thru and answere any questions you might have.

The goal is to cross the traps in the top of 4th gear

and not shifting into 5th.

If you are crossing through the traps in 5th now

start adding teeth in the rear until you cross in the top of 4th.

you got it backwards homie:whistle:

With your weight and having that much arm. I'd run 17/46 or 17/47 gearing. That will put you across the line top of 5th.

Everybody has their preference for gearing and if they want to cross top of 4th, 5th, 6th etc...

My preference is to be crossing the line at the top of whatever gear I happen to be in. So,either gear "higher" and finish top of 4th; or gear "lower" and wind out 5th. Use all of whatever gear (4/5/6) you shift to.

I would not want to be using all of 6th though. But I'm not a "Heavy Hitter" either.

I'm 220 out of the shower.

My buddy is 230lb geared up and at 64" wb, stock motor 2nd gen with: Exhaust, Filter, Clutch Mod, Tune, Racing Shock, Air Shifter, Strapped, Dogbones, 17/46 and a lot of seat time-runs consistent 8.90s

He's running my old setup, best I did was 9.08. He just has the technique.

Thanks for the info. Now does anybody have rear sprockets for sale I think stock is 43 so I'd like a 46 or higher
Posted via Mobile Device

Back