1/4 mile gearing

r1d3on3

Registered
I'm curious as to what you guys with Gen 2, stock wheelbase, stock motor run for gearing in the 1/4? I've got Brock's AH, tuned w/ ECU Editor. I'm 145-150 lbs without the race suit. I was trying to decide on 18/43 or 17/43. I'll take both with me but was trying to get a game plan together to start with. I also have a 45 rear. All I have ever run is 1/8th mile and so I don't know where to start for 1/4. 18/43 would probably be alot easier for me to launch but I wasn't sure where that would put me crossing the line?

been a year since i ran, but i was running in the 6.40's, usually anywhere from 6.45 to 6.48 with a fastest of 6.41

been a year since i ran, but i was running in the 6.40's, usually anywhere from 6.45 to 6.48 with a fastest of 6.41

I am assuming you are strapping the front end down? I could only get 6.70's out of mine bone stock as it rolled off the showroom floor. Had to work the gas through first and 2nd on the back wheel. I also weigh 100lbs more.
1.76 60' times is all she would do with no clutch mod, no strap.

im lowered and strapped, that was with 17/45 gearing best i can remember. my 60's were typically 1.68-1.71 range. I was looking at some old posts of mine and i ran across one where i ran a 6.43 with a 1.64 60ft. I was playing with gearing and had it as low as 16/45 at one point...WAY too much. I think I was going to go back to 17/43 but i was crossing the line either hitting the limiter way early or having to shift too late. So I kept it at 17/45

I'm 17/45 and I'm on a long bike. Trying to move that SWB I would recommend something like 18/40 or 41. It would leave as hard nor 60 ft very well, but it will run on the other end. You could also try adding some small weights under your air ram covers. small dumb-bells would work fine for that.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I think i outta be able to handle 17/43. I think that runs my axle right up almost to the very back of my swingarm too. I was as much concerned with overgearing as much as I was where the bike would be crossing the line. The Amarillo track opens on March 17th and I'm so freaking stoked about running 1/4 for the first time. 1/8th is fun, but I love my mph.

Thx for the advice guys :thumbsup:

I run a swb stock motor 08" and i dont go to the track much so i run stock gearing on the street, but when i go to the track I just throw a 16 tooth on it and it works awsome. It runs almost the top of 5th in the quarter and launching is much easyer. It was pulling 1.57 60 foot. the 16 tooth also allows you to pull the axle back all the way giving you about an inch of strech. so 16/43

Back