GEAR SHAFT SHIFT RETURN SPRING

SANDFLEA85

Registered
so this is what i think is the problem with my shifter not rebounding after i put it in gear.right now i have to shift,say into 2nd,then as im riding push the shifter back down to the start position in order to shift up again...has anyone ver had a problem like this and has anyone ever changed this return spring,looks fairly simple to do according to the manual but as we all know,theres always a trick to doing everything when it comes to this bike

take the shift linkage off the shift shaft. then shuffle the shift shaft assembly shamelessly to the rear.

grab a set of vise grips and get a sure grip on the shift shaft shank.

once you are assured of the shift shank grip, proceed to try and rotate the shift shaft shank to simulate shifting sequences.

try to start in neutral and the go one click clockwise for 1st gear. All upper gears will be counterclockwise rotations.

if the pliers spring back each time...then the gear shaft shift return spring is probably OK.

you will likely have to rotate the tire while shifting gears....this is normal.
you might want to check the linkage where the adjustment rod meets the shift lever. I recently discovered mine was coming out of the frame and was close to causing a bind in the linkage assembly.

be careful of the splines in the gear shift shaft shank...you want a tight grip on your shaft but not so much to deform the groves.
all_coholic.gif

tHANKS BRO,BUT I SET IT UP TO DROP IT OFF TOMORROW AND HAVE THE PROFESSIONALS LOOK AT IT,I DONT MIND DOING THE OTHER WORK ON THE BIKE BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE GEARS I DONT WANT TO BE STUCK SOMEWHERE THAT I MAY HAVE TO LEAVE THE BIKE AND WALK.iLL JUST SWALLOW THIS ONE AND PAY FOR IT TO BE DONE RIGHT.
THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.ILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHAT IT WAS WHEN I KNOW.

(DEVLDOG @ Mar. 30 2007,15:26) tHANKS BRO,BUT I SET IT UP TO DROP IT OFF TOMORROW AND HAVE THE PROFESSIONALS LOOK AT IT,I DONT MIND DOING THE OTHER WORK ON THE BIKE BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE GEARS I DONT WANT TO BE STUCK SOMEWHERE THAT I MAY HAVE TO LEAVE THE BIKE AND WALK.iLL JUST SWALLOW THIS ONE AND PAY FOR IT TO BE DONE RIGHT.
THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.ILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHAT IT WAS WHEN I KNOW.
Hey man, why so loud?
rock.gif
biggrin.gif

if you notice the first letter is small,because i didnt look up until after i typed the entire thing,thought i made the first letter capitol then  the rest small...and ill be damned if  i re typed it again,do you know how long it takes to type with one finger and a studder..haha

Busa1 had this problem on our group ride to Hannibal a few weeks ago. Shift return spring broke. $120.00 fixed at the stealership. All is fine now..

Yeah just got mine torn down. It is the shift return spring. $5 for a new spring and gasket but it was a pain to get to it.

Off to the dealer to order parts tomorrow.

Sucks to have the bike sitting for the week.

(firebug @ Sep. 16 2007,21:29) Yeah just got mine torn down.  It is the shift return spring.  $5 for a new spring and gasket but it was a pain to get to it.

Off to the dealer to order parts tomorrow.  

Sucks to have the bike sitting for the week.
How did you get to the bottom right bolt to get the cover off? The clearance looked too tight to get around the frame with a socket to me. I was thinking baout taking the die grinder to it but didn't have time.

I used a 1/4" drive socket with an extension to loosen as much as I could. Then I used a needle nose pliers to un-screw the rest of the way. I was unable to remove the bolt b/c of the frame but it came out with the cover as I pulled it off.

I tried to be careful but my gasket still tore.

The gasket is more then the spring to buy. Seems weird to me.

Good luck!!

This just happened to me. Can this be done with the engine and all still on the frame? Just remove the front sprocket cover and all. Also, did you have to drain and take off the water pump?

Thanks
Ram

Back