Gear--i'd like some guidance, please

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
I recently got some pressure wounds from laying on supports for 8 hours of surgery. Those were painful enough to make me think about having the skin ripped off of my whole back and what an ordeal that would be.

So, remembering that Texas hits 100 on a regular basis during the summer, what kind of top and bottom should I buy? Is the material
that Joe Rocket jackets are made of noticeably cooler than perforated leather? I was thinking of maybe something like Draggin jeans and jacket with a Kevlar lining. But maybe that wouldn't be any cooler than a perf leather top and bottom.

I've resigned myself to spending at least $600, maybe $1000. I've seen some Alpinestars body armor that is held in place by a mesh and it looks like it would fit over a jacket and I've seen armor for knees that looks like it goes on over pants. That would probably be another $600. I'd like an outfit that won't take 30 minutes to get into. So, an idea of what you guys have found workable would be appreciated.

Also, do you recommend that I find a store where I can try out items for fit, or can you get reasonably close going mail order?

Since I can't ride for six months, I first thought about buying stuff for the bike. Now I think buying gear would be a smarter idea.

I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket. It flows more air than my JR Blaster...but leather provides much more protection.

Since I got leather I don't wear the Phoenix anymore. I would rather be a little warm and have the added protection. I am getting ready to order perf leather pants for the same reason. I have the Phoenix pants but want the extra protection.

Check out www.newenough.com if your shopping online.

Sorry to hear that, and hope you recover well. I have three (3) Alpinestars jackets--two leather and one mesh--all with armor (except for the back, which is optional). The mesh is ok if you're moving, but it gets hot when you're sitting still, because it's plastic. I prefer perforated leather (Alpinestars Spinner); the jacket also comes with zip vents in the forearm, shoulders, and back. $290, Ironypony.com, many colors.

Alpinestars_1_small.JPG

Depends on the riding I'm going to be doing! Cruising around town the mesh is the only way to go for me... Now, if I'm getting serious about hitting the road then I suit up in the leathers. Hot, but you just feel safer! Lots of good choices out there on this type of gear. However, they all fit just a little different so take your time and make sure to find the one that suits you best...........

NOT to hijack this thread but I am with ya!

In LA (thats Lower Alabama) just like Texas, it gets HOT, STICKY and is nearly unbearable in shorts and a tank top, let alone wearing protective gear and sitting at long red lights...

Are perforated leather pants any better than non-perf leather at all?

<!--EDIT|YH2K
Reason for Edit: "Kant Spel"|1144275480 -->

Sorry to hear that, and hope you recover well. I have three (3) Alpinestars jackets--two leather and one mesh--all with armor (except for the back, which is optional). The mesh is ok if you're moving, but it gets hot when you're sitting still, because it's plastic. I prefer perforated leather (Alpinestars Spinner); the jacket also comes with zip vents in the forearm, shoulders, and back. $290, Ironypony.com, many colors.
+1

I have the spinner, which I was going to sell, but just cant part with it - I love it that much. Also got the Stunt in perforated and love it just as much.

I have a set of the Alpinestar Twin Leather pants & love em. Not really a tuck in the boot pant like the Bat pants, but I can go out to eat with them on and not look out of place - comfort is top notch and leather quality is A+++

Sidi makes some awesome boots as far as comfor and protection..wouldn't trade my Vertigos for any other boot...but, footware varies so much from person to person I would say try on several brands.

Bohn makes some very nice protective equipment.

I think we've talked about this before (another thread of yours and post of mine) but the Alpinestars 'bionic suit' you're referring too and the knee guards we've mentioned in other posts all go under your clothing or jackets. They fit very snug. So draggin' jeans with supplemental knee guards with an Alpinestars upper protection under a jersey or light jacket would be fine. That's what I sport when it's really hot. Of course I'll probably get flamed for it. SixOneSix also has a similar product line that's less $$ than the Alpinestars.

I think we've talked about this before (another thread of yours and post of mine) but the Alpinestars 'bionic suit' you're referring too and the knee guards we've mentioned in other posts all go under your clothing or jackets. They fit very snug. So draggin' jeans with supplemental knee guards with an Alpinestars upper protection under a jersey or light jacket would be fine. That's what I sport when it's really hot. Of course I'll probably get flamed for it. SixOneSix also has a similar product line that's less $$ than the Alpinestars.
That's the direction I'm headed because of the heat here. I wasn't sure if the armor went under or over. Since it goes under, it would probably be a good idea to put it on when trying items that go over for fit?

I think you posted a pic of the Alpinestars armor. I thought it looked protective and very cool (temp wise) at the same time. The armor in the pic your posted is at the top of my list.

Someone pointed out to me that I was spending a lot of time and misery getting my body put into shape, and that I didn't want to tear it apart in a spill.

ya might wanna take a read here as well...little sumpt'in I wrote-up...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

NOT to hijack this thread but I am with ya!

In LA (thats Lower Alabama) just like Texas, it gets HOT, STICKY and is nearly unbearable in shorts and a tank top, let alone wearing protective gear and sitting at long red lights...

Are perforated leather pants any better than non-perf leather at all?
Yeah, most people haven't had the fun experience of having sweat run into their eyes from the heat.

Still I'm going to find some kind of compromise that gives me some protection. I had fallen into the pattern of thinking that if you fell, you'd break some bones (which I've done), but even a broken leg is good to go in three months. But, I never considered how long and painful growing a lot of skin back could be.

I appreciate everyone's response. I'm going to chase down all the options you've mentioned. I've got a lot of time to pick.

OK While riding in Tampa for a couple of years I learned a few things about Phoenix jackets VS Perforated leather.

Here's what I know, When stopped, either will leave you BBQ'd, just plain fuggin hot. Now the surprise for me was that once moving, my perforated leather flowed just as much air as the cheap Phoenix Jacket, while providing the peace of mind of REAL crash protection.

SO, I recommend sticking with a good quality full perforated leather. You won't regret it.

OK Better alternative to the Phoenix? Check out the Bohn Armored suit. http://www.kneedraggers.com/details....-4.html

I've seen these in person and tried em' on. They are a little figidity but have a good feel to em and hell wear it under a football jersey and you're in stealth mode.

OK While riding in Tampa for a couple of years I learned a few things about Phoenix jackets VS Perforated leather.  

Here's what I know, When stopped, either will leave you BBQ'd, just plain fuggin hot.  Now the surprise for me was that once moving, my perforated leather flowed just as much air as the cheap Phoenix Jacket, while providing the peace of mind of REAL crash protection.  

SO, I recommend sticking with a good quality full perforated leather.  You won't regret it.  

OK Better alternative to the Phoenix?  Check out the Bohn Armored suit. http://www.kneedraggers.com/details....-4.html

I've seen these in person and tried em' on.  They are a little figidity but have a good feel to em and hell wear it under a football jersey and you're in stealth mode.
Revlis.....I live and ride in south florida and ever since it's inception?....you are the first person I've ever heard claim that they had perfed leathers that had more airflow than a mesh jacket...any....mesh jacket...mainly cause....if the leather had that many holes in it?..i'd rip just putt'em on..what leathers were these you claim flowed more air than mesh?

T.I.A. and L8R, Bill
cool.gif

Here's what I know, When stopped, either will leave you BBQ'd, just plain fuggin hot. Now the surprise for me was that once moving, my perforated leather flowed just as much air as the cheap Phoenix Jacket, while providing the peace of mind of REAL crash protection.

SO, I recommend sticking with a good quality full perforated leather. You won't regret it.

OK Better alternative to the Phoenix? Check out the Bohn Armored suit. http://www.kneedraggers.com/details....-4.html

I've seen these in person and tried em' on. They are a little figidity but have a good feel to em and hell wear it under a football jersey and you're in stealth mode.
Revlis.....I live and ride in south florida and ever since it's inception?....you are the first person I've ever heard claim that they had perfed leathers that had more airflow than a mesh jacket...any....mesh jacket...mainly cause....if the leather had that many holes in it?..i'd rip just putt'em on..what leathers were these you claim flowed more air than mesh?

T.I.A. and L8R, Bill
cool.gif
OK I was wearing Joe Rockets Own, um.... Hell I don't remember the name... Perforated leather, BUT You’re prolly right "MORE" flow prolly isn't accurate I will say though that it does flow AS MUCH as any mesh I've owned. Folks that claim the Mesh jackets flow WAY more AIR than a Perforated leather I think are feeling a bit of Placebo effect., cause I certainly didn't notice the Mesh stuff providing enough additional flow to justify the safety compromise. And like I said when moving the perf leathers cools just as effectively as the Mesh. STOPPED, either will make your life miserable.

Either way though, Here is a tip! UNDERARMOR Heat Gear. God's gift to hot weather riding. Long sleeve or short, wear it under your perforated gear and you are in heaven!!!! No binding, no sticking, wicks away moisture and improves cooling.

But yeah MORE Flow is probably over stating my case. Just as much is prolly more fair. If you gotta polish Apples…
thumbs-up.gif

The armored jacket looks excellent. I like the mesh areas that let air through.

Back