Gas Mileage???

OB_stu

Registered
I didn't buy my Busa with much concern to what type of gas mileage I would get but I have noticed most of you on this site are quoting mileage from 36 - 48 mpg.
I'am only getting 31 mpg on a yet to be broken in machine (200 miles so far).
So I am curious...what type of driving are you guys honestly doing? IE..city?..highway?..racing 99% of the time?..lets be honest!

i'm getting 36 when im not in it which is hardly ever. Im usually in it so my normal gas mileage is 30 miles to the gallon.

Don't worry about it. I had to richen up my idle/cruise mixture with the yosh box to tame the low-speed surging a little bit, and I still get about 45 mpg highway (100mph cruising + frequent WOT blasts). I didn't measure it when new, but I think it was worse than yours.

Mine has 9,950 miles on it.

Average riding is hilly canyon, about 1500 feet to sea level, 70% 2 up...

would gauge the riding as semi-easy ... my gas mileage meter is always more optimistic than crunching the numbers ... it says average varies between 35 to 44 mpg ... when I crunch the numbers it is 34-40 mpg;

lately I have taken it to 10,000 rpms thru 2 or 3 gears once or twice per tank ... still get about 39-40 mpg;

flat sea level roads 60-80 mph gets about 42-44 mpg;

motor stock with K & N filter, akropovic exhaust, replaced plugs at 8,300 miles ... mileage was down at the time

Badbus.. I have an '00. I am pretty sure I saw a three digit value and a decimal point. I see no reason why the led wouldn't display greater than 50. Yeah I know 50mpg is high but I am taking it easy because of breakin.

Also I believe that the mpg display is the mean mpg since the last reset to zero, not the last 500 feet.

Who among us really cares what the mileage is. She is too much fun to give it a second thought.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 28 March 2000).]

Ride everyday to work some Freeway most city streets getting only 29mpg.On the Freeway getting 34-42mpg.Bike has 5116 miles on the odm.Will do air filter cleaning or change and oil change and check spark plug this weekend and also check for strange noise on right side of engine hope the gas miles go up after cleaning or changing air filter.

I usually short shift to sixth, cruise in the 65-80 range and get 41-45 mpg. I think I got as high as 50 during break-in. If you are getting 31 and not really riding hard, something might be wrong.

My first 2 tanks of fuel returned 39.1 miles per gallon. That's a combo of easy city riding, some highway (anywhere from 65-95mph) and the occasional hard 2nd gear roll to wake things up.

Who cares ?
I pay 10kr a litre. thats 1,25 US$ per/l
and I dont care...when its empty I fill it up. Gasmilage is only of consern when I am driving far and fast. Then its a hassle to stop every 120 miles to fill it up.Otherwise I dont care.
( By far and fast I mean I have ridden on BAD roads for 270 km at an avarage speed of 197km/t. I filled her up with 21,95 l...the tank holds 22 l. not bad milage i guess :) )

My odometer/mpg indicator showed 50.2 after 120 miles of mountain and highway riding but I think both speed and mpg are suspect. I'm running Metzler MEZ3's and I think there is a circumference difference between them and the stock Battleaxe's. A 70 mph cruise seems slow to me.

1. Wait until 500 miles before measuring gas mileage.

2. Compute mileage using a GPS or map distance travelled and the gas pump gallons. Don't rely on the bike's odometer.

How about not relying on the mpg display.
I was thinking that the mpg displays the last reading you had and if you were going downhill right before you cut it of then it will read high. Just check gas mileage by filling the tank to the neck, riding,then filling it to the neck again, checking the miles per gallon that way.

I have had as low as 21 and as high as 39.

I went on a 140 mile round trip last weekend. It was mostly freeway driving around 75 mph with short stints up to an indicated 120. The Suzuki calculated 50 mpg. I think that was a little optimistic as I topped off the tank with around 3 gallons the next day. Still that's pretty good gas mileage. The Suzuki has calculated an average 40 mpg with my combination of city and highway driving.

Back