Garmin help for my daughter

Mojo

-------------
Donating Member
Registered
My daughter is turning 16 and getting her first car. I want to purchase a Garmin GPS to put in it but not sure what model to purchase. I want it to be bluetooth capable and at least a 4.3" screen. Any suggestions??

Why does it have to be a Garmin? And why does she need a separate GPS unit? Does she have an iPhone? Or any other type of phone that can be used as a GPS? My (current) iPhone and my old HTC are both able to run Co-Pilot, so I've never bothered getting a standalone GPS unit. - Just more stuff for thieves to take...

That Garmin unit does feature turn by turn and will stream the directions through the car stereo speakers.

Navigate United States and Canada easily with this GPS that features lifetime traffic alerts, up to 1,000 waypoints and a 4.3" display for easy route planning.

This product has been refurbished by the manufacturer. Learn more

What's Included
•Garmin Factory-Refurbished nüvi 765T GPS
•Vehicle suction cup mount
•USB cable
•Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
•Vehicle power cable
•Dashboard disc
•Owner's manual
Product Features
•From our expanded online assortment; not available in all Best Buy stores
•Preloaded base maps of United States and Canada
Up to 1,000 user-programmable waypoints guide you toward interesting and useful destinations.
•Backlit 4.3" color WQVGA touch screen
Easily navigate settings and functions day or night on the large, bright display.
•Lane Assist feature
Guides you to the correct lane for an upcoming turn or exit.
•Lifetime traffic alerts with Navteq map provider
Provides crystal-clear real-time satellite radio traffic updates, delay warnings and alternate route options.
•Route planning
Automatically provides multiple routes to your destination, including the most direct route. ecoRoute feature calculates a fuel-efficient route.
•Photo navigation
Select geotagged photos to plan your routes.
•Where Am I? emergency locator
Finds the nearest hospitals, police and gas stations and nearest intersection for added convenience.
•Speed limit indicator
Keeps you aware of speed limits on interstates and highways, which is especially convenient on unfamiliar roads.
•Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
With up to 3 hours of battery life.
•Automatic rerouting
Provides alternate travel directions in the event of a deviation from the directions given.
Built-in FM transmitter
Lets you stream turn-by-turn voice prompts over your car stereo via the FM frequency
•Built-in media player
Lets you jam to your favorite music, listen to audiobooks or view photos on the go.
•Built-in Bluetooth technology
Lets you make hands-free calls with A2DP technology (mobile phone with Bluetooth capability required, not included).
•High-sensitivity GPS technology with Hot Fix
For precise global positioning.
•Secure Digital media card slot
Insert a removable media card (not included) containing additional map data or regional maps to expand your navigational ability.
•THIS REFURBISHED GARMIN PRODUCT HAS A FULL, 1-YEAR FACTORY WARRANTY.

I just picked up a Droid and X and will most likely not use by tom tom anymore. Like Rainbow said, my phone is now more advanced than my GPS unit. :laugh:

Get her new corvette, then she will have Onstar. :cheerleader:

Here is a Garmin for a good price with hands free, bluetooth and more. Click the Special Ads at the top right of the page, then go to Best Buy. If you order online by clicking on that ad you are also helpin support the org. Garmin - Factory-Refurbished nüvi 765T GPS - NUVI765TREFURB

James, thanks for the link. Corvette.... not gonna happen:laugh:

Why does it have to be a Garmin? And why does she need a separate GPS unit? Does she have an iPhone? Or any other type of phone that can be used as a GPS? My (current) iPhone and my old HTC are both able to run Co-Pilot, so I've never bothered getting a standalone GPS unit. - Just more stuff for thieves to take...

Rainbow, yes...she's has the iphone but I want that to be tucked away while she's driving. Thanks for the suggestion though:thumbsup:

With that Garmin, she could pair her phone to the GPS unit and have hands free access. She could also stream music from her phone through the Garmin to the car stereo.

Whats wrong with the vette? ???

With that Garmin, she could pair her phone to the GPS unit and have hands free access. She could also stream music from her phone through the Garmin to the car stereo.

Whats wrong with the vette? ???

You buy it and I'll give it to her..... DEAL??:thumbsup:

Definitely go with the Garmin over using the cell phone for GPS. You will have a hard enough time keeping her off of the phone while driving anyway. Plus there is an iPhone app I believe that won't allow her to use the phone for texting/ talking while the gps in the phone senses movement over a set mph. I don't have an iPhone (I'm an Android guy :)
Also when the phone is used as a GPS it eats batteries. Now if there is an emergency/accident the phone has a greater chance of being dead. Good luck with your decision, I've yet to see/use a Garmin GPS that I didn't like as far as ease of use and features.
More importantly, good luck with the 16 year old daughter...:whistle:

Definitely go with the Garmin over using the cell phone for GPS. You will have a hard enough time keeping her off of the phone while driving anyway. Plus there is an iPhone app I believe that won't allow her to use the phone for texting/ talking while the gps in the phone senses movement over a set mph. I don't have an iPhone (I'm an Android guy :)
Also when the phone is used as a GPS it eats batteries. Now if there is an emergency/accident the phone has a greater chance of being dead. Good luck with your decision, I've yet to see/use a Garmin GPS that I didn't like as far as ease of use and features.
More importantly, good luck with the 16 year old daughter...:whistle:

What app is that?

I don't know of the app name or whatever (like I mentioned, I'm an Android guy, and kid-less :) but I've heard of it. I'm pretty sure its still out there, I heard about it about a year ago or so.
Sorry I'm no help for that... :(

Just curious, what is the bluetooth function for on the GPS~?~

Built-in Bluetooth technology
Lets you make hands-free calls with A2DP technology (mobile phone with Bluetooth capability required, not included).

You already have a phone and ear piece, what goes through the gps~?~

Check Amazon for your GPS. They have good prices on last year's models, and I found Amazon significantly less expensive than Best Buy when I bought mine. I've had my Garmin for several years and am completely happy with it.

Just curious, what is the bluetooth function for on the GPS~?~

Built-in Bluetooth technology

You already have a phone and ear piece, what goes through the gps~?~

Link the phone to the GPS. Link the GPS to bluetooth in the helmet. Use the phone while you ride thru the GPS. It's a little easier than taking the lid and gloves off, riding one handed with the phone to your ear.

On the bike my phone is in the tank bag, turned off. Go ahead and call. I'll listen to your message later than sooner. Don't expect to hear from me until tomorrow, unless someone died or I won the Lotto................I don't play Lotto.

When the RIDE is on not much else matters. Up with the sun, gone with the wind, feelin' the breeze, passin' the cars...........

Back