Garage Heat

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
So what's the best way to heat a garage? I found a pretty cool looking 125k btu propane heater at tractor supply that looks cool, but would prefer an electric one. I have lowes home depot tractor supply harbor freight all relatively close to me. What heaters do you guys use? I need it to be portable so I can work at a friend's garage too. Also relatively powerful due to not constant use and opening and closing of garage door while working.

So post up what you got or what you think would be good. Price is not too important, but not looking to be too outrageous.

I use a kerosene heater, but also have a new-in-the-box propane heater that I have not yet tried. My brother says I will like the propane better, but we shall see.

CW

Go buy a wood burner. No noise, no nasty fumes and will put out plenty of heat. Tell your buddy bring his stuff to your house.

The propane ones heat the place up quick, electric are slow and use alot of power, I've have seen the cieling mount electrics at Harbor Frieght. I got a nice small propane one from Home depot on sale last year. Works great, I run it for about 10 minutes then shut it off, mine is real basic, no theromstat but the next model up has one I think...

Go buy a wood burner. No noise, no nasty fumes and will put out plenty of heat. Tell your buddy bring his stuff to your house.

Thats a good idea too. If you spend hours out there... Buy a cheap wood burner free standing stove. My dad has that and removes it in the summer.

I have a wood stove in the garage...but...by the time it warms up I'm done doing what I need to do~!~ :laugh:

I thought this would be nice for the dogs though during the Winter...I built a fire for them when it would get real cold...guess what, they run outside and lay on the cold ground, they hate the heated garage~!~

I went and purchased one of those electric start forced air heaters with thermostat from Lowes that burn diesel or kerosene and love it...instant heat~!~ :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You will love any kind of portable propane heater. I would stay away from the "bullet/torpedo" type cuz they are pretty noisey. Go with one of the ceramic plate types at least 3 plates and you can heat a pretty good size area. You can hook up a 20lb cylinder like you would a gas grill. The ones i have seen will mount on a wall or have little legs to self stand. I use 2, 5 burner plate models to heat my whole house. I rarely use it in full 5 mode.

My Garage has an old wood furnace i keep a fire in it all winter long.

I Cheated

Just had a new Furnace installed into the house, went up another Ton and had it piped into the garage, When Im not out there I just barely open the vents, When Im out there open them up :thumbsup:

I have one that runs on kerosene from Home Depot. Works great and is portable enough to take it to different locations.

garage heat? coming out of the garage biz there are a couple things to take into account:

any heater that sits on or near the ground with open flame?
gasoline and other flamable vapors tend to be heavier than air.. (hot water heaters need attention too)

Do you want to heat the environment or keep warm? sounds funny but the best heaters I had in the shops did little to heat the garage..

They kept the people in them warm however (Infrared)..

I have an attached garage now and I just open the door for 20 minutes or so and let the heat roll in from the house and then go to work.. I know working in the winter time in the shop, the infrared worked instantly..

I Cheated

Just had a new Furnace installed into the house, went up another Ton and had it piped into the garage, When Im not out there I just barely open the vents, When Im out there open them up :thumbsup:

Haha... thats what we did

Just run your your car(s) - the exhust will heat the area right up!??? In a half hour or so you won't feel anything at all.:whistle:

I just close the garage doors and run the cars, i get a bit dizzy form time to time, but it works pretty well:rofl:

Ps. dont do this. You will Die!

Back