Gadget of the month  ~a must have~

Damn! I hope I win it
smile.gif

leave off the fancy cnc art work...make a plain jane billet piece and drop the price by 200.00... then you'll have something.

biggrin.gif

are most bike thefts done by a few people and a van?

pick the bike up and toss it in?

although this does look better than every other disc lock I've seen.

I still don't see how it's gonna keep somebody other than joe blow who pushes it outta my garage and down the street from swiping it.

the Road Lok is priced in the range of a good Scorpio alarm system that I think would offer better assurance and peace of mind. I agree that this product is not realistically priced

Depends where you are for bike theives. I know from my LE experience that to pick up the front end and move the bike with 2 people is easy. DIsk lock on the front is worthless. Ever pick up the rear end and try to push the bike around. Not that dayum easy. Again for me it's piece of mind for the out in public snatch and grab theft. I have a scorpio alarm. How many times do you hear a car alarm go off and ignore it??? Ref the price of the unit. From the research Ive done on my own, there isnt much price cut available due to the machining time involved. IT's really two pieces in one. Brake caliper hanger is about $60 by itself used stock. Not defending it just understanding where the cost came from.

EIther way it's a nice piece of mind when you have to park outside and already have the lock on the bike. ALL I can say is I like it.

JD

Sounds good to me. I've been looking at them since they came on as sponsors, but since they don't work with extended swingarms, it does me no good.

Hokay -
So, here's what I got in the mail today...

DSC04962.JPG

First, I prepped Bessie for her new footware accessory by:
Pulled out tools:
10-125 FTLbs TQ wrench
Breaker bar
Swipes
12 mm socket
14 mm socket
36 mm socket
cotterpin

Then I actually began my task -
Removing the rear axle cotterpin
Loosening the rear axle nut, 2 brake caliper bolts and the TQ arm bolt
Placing one of my wife's towels on the rim to protect it while I set the brake caliper down to pull the axle. (I did this job by myself).

Road_prep.JPG

Next I put the bike on my rear stand, braced the rear tire with a wooden block and pulled out the axel enough to remove the caliper bracket and sliding in the RoadLok for a replacement.

I torqued the Rear axle to 72.5 ftlbs and lined up the cotterpin
I torqued the caliper botls (14mm) to 19.5 ftlbs and the tq arm bolt (12 mm) to 25.5 ftlbs.
Replaced cotterpin and set her back down. Then inserted pin

DSC04963.JPG

And the last install step...

Start time (walked into garage) 23:06
Job complete (walking out of garage) 23:28

22 mins from opening box to late night snack...
Like JD says.. these things are all that. Don't cost much more than painted inners..
Oh well, piece of mind is priceless as they say - and hindsight is 20/20. If you like this thing, talk to Daryl and take advantage of the deal he is offering over on the RoadLok forum...

DSC04965.JPG

(CYCLEERIC @ Sep. 13 2006,06:10) Im wondering if this would work with my Braking Wave rotors ?
Daryl posted that the LoK will work with galfer rotors, the only difference is that you have to roll the bike farther to seat the LoK. I think the issue with aftermarket rotors is that becuase of the different size if the diffuser holes, the bike will have more movement, but the lock is still "snapped" in and you would have to remove the rear wheel to get the LoK off of the bike with out the key...

Check the RoadLok forum and maybe those guys can ask... send them pics of your rotors and maybe they can update the compatability...

Back