Future owner intro seeking advice from internet

handlebarlife

Registered
Hello all. This is Andrew, avid motorcycleler. In my ten years of riding I have ridden across the country on my 82' Suzuki GS450, rebuilt a handful of bikes, currently own a 100hp Harley-Davidson FXR and I'm nearly finished with my first ground-up build destine for land speed racing. Said bike is named "KnuckleDuster" and is a 93ci or 1475cc HD Knucklehead powering a vintage style chassis. The SCTA class designation is 1350-APG, record held by Larry Cason at 169.969mph. With the KnuckleDuster never being ran on the salt, obtaining that record is light-years away.
World Records aside, my personal goal right now is hitting 200mph on two wheels. NOT HIGHWAY SPEEDING but at an actual racing event, weather it be Bonneville or Texas mile or ECTA. Enter Gen III Hayabusa. Why Gen III and not 2 or 1? I don't know. no real reason. But I feel with minimum mods to the Hayabusa, I can hit 200mph. Trying to keep the bike in a stock frame/ stock engine classification so I can obtain the standing record of 200.975. However, For the price of a new bike I could Build out a bike that could be faster. Doing so would put me in a different class with a higher speed record. With only 7 months till Speed Week that's a incredibly short build time, with that plan, a 200mph bike run in 2023 probably wont happen. So do I want to do another full build after the KnuckleDuster is finished and campaign for 200mph in 2024? Or do I run stock class this year, maybe hit 200mph and maybe get a world record run. Anyways, after I hit 200mph I'm going to make plans for 300mph. I don't want to stop going fast. Did you like what you read and want to follow along with my adventure? I hope you like structured and organized social media posts cuz mine are far from that. You can go to the insta and follow me. Handlebarlife. Thanks

Hello sir! Speed week is a completely different animal, in my mind, then an ECTA mile event. The salt is highly corrosive and I’d want a sealed wiring harness if I was building a bike for that. I thought about going but wouldn’t bring my bike there.

I like how you’re thinking about classes. I’ve got a gen 3 and don’t have a class in mind so I’ll build it how I like but it’s cool you’ve got that in mind.

I’ll just take a page from the 1320 video naming convention and make up a world record that’s not contested, post it to YouTube and get rich. World Record Fastest silver Gen 3 Busa with orange wheel stickers! Oh I forgot to caps lock WORLD RECORD!!! Hahaha.

To answer your question, I bought a Gen 3 because a Gen 2 was $14k and a Gen 3 was $18k.

Buy the one that you’re most excited
about first and that makes the most sense financially second. I say that because to build a bike for racing doesn’t make any financial sense.

This guy went 200 mph with a 100,000 mile Gen 2.

Welcome, I look forward to chatting with you more.

Hello all. This is Andrew, avid motorcycleler. In my ten years of riding I have ridden across the country on my 82' Suzuki GS450, rebuilt a handful of bikes, currently own a 100hp Harley-Davidson FXR and I'm nearly finished with my first ground-up build destine for land speed racing. Said bike is named "KnuckleDuster" and is a 93ci or 1475cc HD Knucklehead powering a vintage style chassis. The SCTA class designation is 1350-APG, record held by Larry Cason at 169.969mph. With the KnuckleDuster never being ran on the salt, obtaining that record is light-years away.
World Records aside, my personal goal right now is hitting 200mph on two wheels. NOT HIGHWAY SPEEDING but at an actual racing event, weather it be Bonneville or Texas mile or ECTA. Enter Gen III Hayabusa. Why Gen III and not 2 or 1? I don't know. no real reason. But I feel with minimum mods to the Hayabusa, I can hit 200mph. Trying to keep the bike in a stock frame/ stock engine classification so I can obtain the standing record of 200.975. However, For the price of a new bike I could Build out a bike that could be faster. Doing so would put me in a different class with a higher speed record. With only 7 months till Speed Week that's a incredibly short build time, with that plan, a 200mph bike run in 2023 probably wont happen. So do I want to do another full build after the KnuckleDuster is finished and campaign for 200mph in 2024? Or do I run stock class this year, maybe hit 200mph and maybe get a world record run. Anyways, after I hit 200mph I'm going to make plans for 300mph. I don't want to stop going fast. Did you like what you read and want to follow along with my adventure? I hope you like structured and organized social media posts cuz mine are far from that. You can go to the insta and follow me. Handlebarlife. Thanks
Welcome to the org the best place for boys knowledge. I don't have much info on the gen3 so I'm sure some others can help you more then me but I do know they did some changes to it that took away some of the overall power and have it more mid range then the others which could probaly be corrected with a set of gen 2 or other cams since I think that is how they did it. We got plenty of land speed guys around here so I'm sure they'll chime in and help you out. :beerchug:

Pics or it didn't happen. :thumbsup:

Oh, and you named off my first bike. :banana:

1982_GS450L_top_450.jpg

Hello sir! Speed week is a completely different animal, in my mind, then an ECTA mile event. The salt is highly corrosive and I’d want a sealed wiring harness if I was building a bike for that. I thought about going but wouldn’t bring my bike there.

I like how you’re thinking about classes. I’ve got a gen 3 and don’t have a class in mind so I’ll build it how I like but it’s cool you’ve got that in mind.

I’ll just take a page from the 1320 video naming convention and make up a world record that’s not contested, post it to YouTube and get rich. World Record Fastest silver Gen 3 Busa with orange wheel stickers! Oh I forgot to caps lock WORLD RECORD!!! Hahaha.

To answer your question, I bought a Gen 3 because a Gen 2 was $14k and a Gen 3 was $18k.

Buy the one that you’re most excited
about first and that makes the most sense financially second. I say that because to build a bike for racing doesn’t make any financial sense.

This guy went 200 mph with a 100,000 mile Gen 2.

Welcome, I look forward to chatting with you more.
I agree with ya there. Mile event and salt racing two different beasts. and racing aint cheap! Right now, I want that red 200mph hat and my name printed in the SCTA record book. After the salt, because of corrosion, I plan on a full breakdown, clean and rebuild of the bike. probably keep the engine together but everything else will be clean down to the threads. Haven't considered sealed wire harness, I am now. But at this point I'm not sure if Ill want to do more than Bonneville with the gen 3. While its a great platform for 200mph and I'm sure well beyond with properly forced induction and aero. I don't believe its a good base for 300mph.

To go 200mph on a gen2, you need a full exhaust, ecu flash, and a 55 series rear tire or a 41t rear sprocket with the stock 50 series tire.
That's capable of around 203mph.
Stock gearing(ecu flashed) will do 197mph, I've gps'd that.
It can be done in a standing mile too, but there's of course alot of variables.

Welcome to the org

I agree with ya there. Mile event and salt racing two different beasts. and racing aint cheap! Right now, I want that red 200mph hat and my name printed in the SCTA record book. After the salt, because of corrosion, I plan on a full breakdown, clean and rebuild of the bike. probably keep the engine together but everything else will be clean down to the threads. Haven't considered sealed wire harness, I am now. But at this point I'm not sure if Ill want to do more than Bonneville with the gen 3. While its a great platform for 200mph and I'm sure well beyond with properly forced induction and aero. I don't believe its a good base for 300mph.
I was at the Bonneville in 2020 as a spectator. The guy at the auto shop ( use to be the Bonneville Museum in Wendover ) gave me his big WD 40 sprayer to shoot onto the bottom of my ZR-1 before taking it out on the salt. Because the conditions were perfect with rock hard salt that year you could actually burn rubber on it in places When I got off the salt I looked underneath as best as I could and could not see a trace of salt anywhere. The places I couldn't reach with the WD 40 were as clean as it ever was.

The auto shop owner runs a Kragen auto store ( I think ) in Wendover and has some cool Bonneville stuff on display as well as his own cars that are pretty cool. He is also the Mayor of Wendover and a Corvette guy that has participated at Bonneville. We talked for like an hour and he gave me a brand new Bonneville coffee table book that was 32 years old. He had a stack of these new books and sells them to.

If you want to go 300mph...talk to
@michael parris heuberger
That's his goal, and he's still building the bike now.
A big turbo, custom everything monster.

Back