El Mirage Results

V8Pinto

Registered
Noonan went 235! That was a record pass and he also set a sidecar Busa record (didn't catch the speed).

Scott Horner joined the 200Mph club by going 206 on a 201 record.

I went 188.8 (personal best). The results are unofficial but I might have gotten top Mph in production class. Have to wait and see.

Tell us about your bike and set up again, and how about some pics brother. Congratz on the 189 pass

Congrats on the personal best!
beerchug.gif

Bike is a 2006 Limited. I ride it to work every day and even rode it 150 or so miles to the races. Lots of required safety mods (wired fasteners, lanyard kill switch, etc). Only performance mods are small airbox mod (center flapper section cutout), duct taped air ducts (I can't run the seals in production class because they require you to modify the airbox externally), and I have all short stacks in the airbox.

Normally stock Busas run about 180-185 at El Mirage. I think the extra oomph came from the fact that I was racing for my friend's 2yr old son who has Leukemia. I put his picture on my tank and a sign on the chase truck that said we were racing for him that day. Definitely worth a few hp!
smile.gif

When I download the pictures, I'll post them up. I'm way stoked!!!

(V8Pinto @ Jul. 16 2007,18:41) I went 188.8 (personal best).  The results are unofficial but I might have gotten top Mph in production class.  Have to wait and see.
Good job ------
beerchug.gif

Thats wild congrats on the 189..

So when I went 175 indicated on my '03 Busa true speed was what? all stock gearing..

(DR1300R @ Jul. 17 2007,07:43) Thats wild congrats on the 189..

So when I went 175 indicated on my '03 Busa true speed was what? all stock gearing..
Probably in the area of 160 or so. The last time I got to look at the gauges during a run, my speedo was about 195 and actual was 180.7

Also don't forget that I'm running on dirt. There's wheelspin.

El Mirage is a dry lakebed several miles across located near Edwards AFB in the Mojave desert.  The SCTA has been racing there for a lot of years, I'm a newbie this year.

Lots of really nice people.  I like the fact that you can just walk up to a world record holder and shoot the breeze.  

I failed tech inspection for a missing safety wire and had people throwing tools at me to fix it.  What a great bunch of folks.

As for when - it's mostly once a month. Go to scta-bni.org and click on El Mirage for the schedule. If you get out there, stop and say hello!

Cool...congratulations!

If I went out to check out El Mirage in September (not to race, just to see whats going on), is it pretty easy to bring the Busa and not have to worry too much about it? (Parking etc...)

(shortBoarder @ Jul. 17 2007,09:52) Cool...congratulations!

If I went out to check out El Mirage in September (not to race, just to see whats going on), is it pretty easy to bring the Busa and not have to worry too much about it? (Parking etc...)
There's plenty of room to park. Think of an area about 25 square miles - flat, open desert. The "race track" is about maybe 2-3 square miles of that with a bunch of motorhomes and stuff parked around the border of the track. People camp (we sleep in the back of the truck) and just generally hang out and be friendly.

It's desert
smile.gif

If you can negotiate a dirt driveway on the Busa you can get to the area where we race. It's paved all the way to the lakebed. The lakebed is so big that you cannot see the racing area from where you enter the lakebed. You just have to get there and "head northwest" for a few miles and there ya are.

There might be some aerial views floating around my HDD that I can send.

Hey V8,
 This will give them an idea what a El Mirage run looks like on the mighty 'Busa

Congrats on your 188.8!!  That is FLYING!!

207emailsm.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
you crazy dirt folks!
bowdown.gif

I always like hearing about some good stories/experiences.
beerchug.gif

got any post run pics of the bike? how dirty do things get?

Back