Fun Ride

CorrodedAlien

Registered
This week I am in Oxnard on business. My thinking was, "Hell, I could fly to LA from San Francisco but why? It's a 5-6 hours car ride and if I take the bike I can make an adventure out of it...

firedevil.gif
So, I did.... I asked a few other board members and some of my local bikers if they wanted to ride along and most everyone was tapped out... Bgenis, Brad, here from the board jumped up and away we went on Saturday afternoon. I regretto say that I did not get a piture of any of the riding on Saturday.
crazy.gif

Unfortunatly, as some of you San Jose / SF people know this pasted weekend was the Gilroy Garlic Festival. That sucked for starter traffic. 100F on 101 from Morgan Hill to just about the 25to Hollister exit (10 or so miles). No breeze except from lane splitting...

Once pasted that it was fine, the only planned side trip was Jolon Road (G14/G18) which is a 30 ish mile off then back to 101 shot that I had not done before. It was a "nice" ride. No LEO. 90 the whole way a couple of blasts, no real twisies either, just a few sweeping curve.

Link to Map from Pashnit.com:
Lockwood-Jolon-lrg.gif

At the end of it, back at 101 just north of Camp Roberts, Brad dneeded to blast back North.

That day ended at the western end of hwy 58 and 101 in a quaint town called Santa Margarita.  I headed out the next day for Oxnard via 58 and 33.

Here is what Pashnit says abour 58:
Pashnit.com Hwy58

Map again thanks to Pashnit.com:
Highway58.jpg

100 mph whoop-de-does!!!!! I actually got airborne on one of them. There are more behind me I had not seen yet as well, this straight stuff seemed to go on forever.

58_4.jpg

Next there was a pucker factor or 2 on the way down the Kern County side twisties.  Deceptive reducing radius hairpins and a bit of scree in the road. I picked up 33 and started south.  The 33/166 section was fast, 100 mph or so up and over into the back valley.

33 to the coast from Pashnit.com:
Pashnit.com hwy33

Another map from Pashnit.com:
Highway33.jpg

Awesome CA!! Looks like you had a great ride and weather. Thanks for the pics.
cool.gif

Nice, looks like fun!! I need to get down there sometime for a ride.
smile.gif

Heck of a way to start a business trip! Looks like a great ride! Thanks for sharing.

..As a follow up, on the way back home on Wed. night - I left Oxnard at about 8:30 pm and rode to the foot of Hwy 58. I was lucky to trail (headlighting) a series of cars the whole way there. In Santa Barbara a real Mini (right hand drive and all) came whipping up the on ramp and was actually going faster than I was (90+). I expected the car to spin around an have clowns hanging out of it...

Well I got into Santa Margarita at about 10:45 pm, really good time.

The next day I rode straight home on one tank of gas, almost ran it out. I put 4.95 gallons in it after it was sputtering about 5 miles from my house. 42 mpg!

Back