Need Help with Northern Cali ride

Bandit

Registered
I will be riding up North from Orange County tomorrow and need a little help with the routing of my ride above San Francisco. My plan is to just take Hwy 1 North and try to make it to Fort Bragg (no specific reason, it just looked like it would be a decent distance from our starting point of Alice's Restaurant in Woodside). My plan was to find a good, fun (twisty) road that takes us from HWY 1 to HWY 101 so that we can get back down to Alice's friday for Lunch where we are meeting the rest of our group.

Anybody know of any good routes either up or back? I would prefer a combination of scenic an fun and distance doesn't matter a whole bunch.

Any help at all would really be appreciated. With 4 kids I don't get to do rides in Norhern Cali as much as I would like so hopefully I can make the most of this one.

Thanks again!

Highway 1 to Ft. Bragg is fun. Can be full of tourists and sometimes the road has lots of sand, so be careful.
When in Ft. Bragg, take Highway 20 over to 101. Should be about 4 hours south back to Alice's.

norcalride.jpg

HWY 101 is some good sweepers and AWESOME breathtaking scenery up in North Cali...follow Panda's route!!! :thumbsup:

101 to Fort Bragg was the route planned, and hwy 20 to the 101 is the route planned to get back to Alice's. I just didn't want to miss out on some amazing route up or back that somebody knew of if it was an option for us.

oops, correction, hwy 1 to Fort Bragg is the route planned up. 20 to 101 is the route planned back south to Alice's.

You could spend a few days up above SF and hit some amazing roads. For a quick summary, do like you said, Hwy 1 North, then 20 -> 101, then South.

When coming into SF Hwy 1 will turn in Hwy 280, remember to stay left when 280 and 1 separate again. You'll be travelling on 19th avenue to the GGB across the Golden Gate Park.

SF has no highways that go directly to the GGB. You're choices are either 19th Ave or go through downtown. 19th is easier.

There are a ton of great roads up here, if you have the time and can go a little farther, I would recommend getting to Red Bluff on I-5 then take hwy 36 out to Fortuna, then take 1 & 101 back your direction.
Hwy's 36, 3 and 299 are some much better for twisties with little or no traffic or LEO.

Check out California Motorcycle Roads - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours Maps, Passionate Scenic Rides Photos for all the great roads.

Hows about 140 miles of twisties ?

Img_0913_140sign.jpg

Now we're talking. I'm going to look in to that and hopefully make a few changes. 140 miles of twisties is what I need. With the group I am riding with I don't have to worry about anyone's ability to control their bike or themselves.

If you get a chance you might also want to check out "Stewart's Point Skaggs Springs Road", supposedly one of the best in Nor-Cal.

I'm trying to get over and hit 36 then 299, each 140 miles of twistys, that's gotta be amazing.

Dude... PM me. I live on the coast south of SF and have done most of the paved roads from Santa Cruz to the Trinity Alps along the coast. If I can I'll even join ya for some of it.

Why would you want to run down 101 except to connection some of the best roads together? 101 sucks!

I would back track Hwy 1 to 128 to Boonville then take Mountain Veiw Rd back to Hwy 1 at Manchester. South on 1 to Stewart's Point then west on Skaggs Springs to Dry Creek Rd back to 101. Could take 253 to 101 from Boonville, awesome Rd.

Or 128 all the way to Cloverdale to Dutcher Creek Rd go west on Skaggs to Stewarts Point on Hwy 1 back down the coast.

Or 253 to 101 to 175 south to Middletown south on 29 jog on 128 to Petrified Forrest Rd , Porter Creek, Mark West Springs back to 101 above Santa Rosa.

Lots of options I wouldn't consider 101 one of them.

I agree. I kinda figured you were in a hurry if you were meeting people and in that case 101 is fastest. It's a boring road though as far as roads go.

Well, I finally got all the kids and dogs delivered to sitters for the rest of the week. Everything is packed and ready to go. I appreciate the advice given and will more than likely be taking one of the routes posted by Pardini on Thursday and Friday. If anyone is going to Laguna, I will be riding the 2006 White LE Hayabusa with my wife. My bike has a TiForce exhaust to help you identify me.

Thanks again,

Jim

Well, I finally got all the kids and dogs delivered to sitters for the rest of the week. Everything is packed and ready to go. I appreciate the advice given and will more than likely be taking one of the routes posted by Pardini on Thursday and Friday. If anyone is going to Laguna, I will be riding the 2006 White LE Hayabusa with my wife. My bike has a TiForce exhaust to help you identify me.

Thanks again,

Jim

I'm so jealous! I cant be at Laguna this year ... have fun.

Back