Full gear, this needs to be said.

Ah hell....I just realized that my post is worthless without pics.
Ahhhhhh someday I'll take a picture of myself.

Thanks for your concern. I for one enjoy riding much more when I have the peace of mind that comes with wearing all of my gear, all of the time! Seems like most of the crash stories you will ever hear begin like, I was just going a few blocks to the grocery store when!!! Hope you are doing well and wish you the best in the future.

Thanks for the post ... these are my estimated percentages ... I have to do better.

I wear helmet 100% of the time
I wear boots 90% of the time
I wear jacket 99% of the time
I wear leather pants 10% of the time
I wear reinforced riding pants 80% of the time
I beat you:

I wear helmet 100% of the time
I wear boots 100% of the time
I wear jacket 100% of the time (even in hot summer it's my mesh from Gericke)
I wear leather pants 100% of the time during cool enough weather
I wear reinforced riding pants 100% of the time (Gerieke mesh pants during hot summer)

And I should add:

I wear Knox/Teknic back protector 100% of the time (summer or cooler)

To quote my former manager, Mary V., after she learned I ride a sportbike (she didn't know a busa until she caught that episode on the Discovery Channel), "Life is funny, be prepared and you'll likely never need it, be unprepared and it will likely happen". She made me list her as a emergency contact just in case something were to happen to me on my busa.

Thanks. The encouragement of fellow riders has helped more than I can express!

Just a short visit to a person in the hospital means way more to them the patient than it does to you the visitor.

2&1/2 months in the hospital, 9 months in a wheel chair.

I'm very greatfull for all that I have and can do.

In short/long, always wear boots, always.
I totally agree! Thanx Warren!

Glad to see you're still around! Get well Bro!

Luckily I was wearing full gear when the suburban took me out at 40mph.  Just a bruise on my left side that was it while my GSXR1000 was totalled.
sad.gif

Leather will protect/minimize road rash.

Armor will protect/minimize impact injuries.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136522049 -->

Luckily I was wearing full gear when the suburban took me out at 40mph.  Just a bruise on my left side that was it while my GSXR1000 was totalled.  
sad.gif

Leather will protect/minimize road rash.

Armor will protect/minimize impact injuries.
Charles,

what ever happen with the insurance on that case? I know that Nelson said that the girl in the Suburban were saying you RAN into her.

u need good gear my daughther just crashed on a rider training day  had good full face gloves   fabric jacket and dress leathers  the helmet  looked like a grinder had attacked it even on the visor  her gloves had all the nuckleprotectors ground off jacket torn and worst were her knees had two holes in them full of gravel  her boots were ok
shes heeled now and now has only the best of gear 2 piece leather suit  better gloves another new shoei helmet and of course  a new bike gsxr100 her vtr 1000 honda written off i now have proper gear with armour  and wont ride with out it      good post
Dang "Macmotortrimmer",,,,,,,,, I think you hijacked my avatar? Could that be true?

Wheelie_2.jpg

Hey Lota FunR, glad that you are okay and expressing the wear full gear. Hopefully it will help witht he squids. I am waiting to hear from Local 19 as to when the classes start for the Sheet Metal Workers. I am #14 on the list and can't wait. Is business booming in Southern Cali for Sheet Metal Workers?

Gear acquisition should be part and parcel to the purchase of the bike itself. Take it all out the door together.

If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride.

You don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash.

What other platitudes? They're all true. If you're without gear, you're setting yourself up for trouble.

--Wag--

Hey all, Mac's daughter here (the one who wrote off the VTR 6weeks ago).
I'm glad to see that this site encourages wearing protective gear. It freaks me out that you guys can go riding without helmets. Over here these are legal requirement. I came off recently, and the noise of my helmet scraping down the track was too close for comfort. That could've been my face or some other irreplacable body part.
In the past, I haven't always worn all of my protective gear, but after a crash you become a great believer!
I've now decided to spare no expense and buy the best gear I can get - after all, that extra cash isn't coming with me if I kill myself riding!

I don't dispute that wearing ALL the protective gear can be a hassle, but I always think "It isn't IF you come off - it's WHEN".

I have a pair of workboots that come over the ankle with a steel toe.  Similar to redwing style.  Is that enough boot or do I need a boot that comes even higher.  It doesn't come up high enough to cover the lower part of my leather pants.
not much ankle support compared to a decent set of motorcycle specific boots..

compare your work boots to a pair of sidi vertebra, or something along those lines (good quality riding boots I mean) and you'll see/feel the difference.

I have a pair of Alpinestar SMX size 10.5 that I will give to anyone that doesn't have a decent pair of boots.

They're not new, but they have life still in em. Free to anyone who needs them. On me. FREEBIE.

My feet are so fffed up that they don't fit anymore.

PM me your address and they are yours.

Ride safe, and fast.

Hey Lota FunR, glad that you are okay and expressing the wear full gear. Hopefully it will help witht he squids. I am waiting to hear from Local 19 as to when the classes start for the Sheet Metal Workers. I am #14 on the list and can't wait. Is business booming in Southern Cali for Sheet Metal Workers?
There's plenty of work if you are a worker. Local 105 LA.

Aprenticeship is a 5 year deal. Talk to the JATC, they will help you get where you're going.

My advice: If you want to live somewhere other than where you are at, move and do your apprenticeship there.

If you come to LA, get in touch with me, I'll hook you up, then it's on you to make it happen. No free lunch. I know people.

Gear acquisition should be part and parcel to the purchase of the bike itself.  Take it all out the door together.

If it's too hot for gear, it's too hot to ride.

You don't dress for the ride, you dress for the crash.  

What other platitudes?  They're all true.  If you're without gear, you're setting yourself up for trouble.

--Wag--
+1

Its amazing how people will spend lots of $$$ on mods and then not invest in something that will maintain their Quality of Life.

When it comes to your ability to survive a crash you need the best that you can find....GEAR , TRAINING ,COMMON SENSE....

You the rider are the most important part of the whole motorcycle....not what kind of bike you ride or the custom paint , bling , power mods , or whatever else you want to spend on your bike.

Spend the $$$ on yourself first, take a safety class, buy the best gear that you can find....and have a lifetime of fun  
biggrin.gif

I have a pair of Alpinestar SMX size 10.5 that I will give to anyone that doesn't have a decent pair of boots.

They're not new, but they have life still in em. Free to anyone who needs them. On me. FREEBIE.

My feet are so fffed up that they don't fit anymore.

PM me your address and they are yours.

Ride safe, and fast.
Lota fun,

I would be interested in your boots. They gotta be better than what I have now.

You have a PM

I agree about the boots. I saw a video clip of a squid who basically had his foot ripped off in a stunting crash and went out and bought a set of Sidi Vertigo boots. I ride with either full leathers or an Aerostich 100% of the time.

Back