Field Armor Boots Icon-Need Advice

jeffroe334

Registered
I owned an SV 1000 and I had a CBR 1000RR (until it was stolen) and recently sold the SV for a Busa. I bought some Field Armor boots from ICON about 6 months ago, never used them, yet.

If you have ever been snow skiing these boots feel about the same as ski boots when you wear them.

Here is the question/problem. I'm 6'6" and had to order a size 13. They fit, there tight like I said, if I got in a bad accident my ankles and feet would be fine.

Problem is I can't wear the boots and ride at the same time. Problem is I can't shift with my left foot, the boots are thick from the sole to the top of my foot and the shift lever and foot peg is too tight for me to get my toe in between, I can't even angle my toe in to get at the shifter.

I know it has to do with being tall and having a big foot and long legs, what do you other guys do, do I need to adjust the shifter on my left foot, is that normal, how is this done? Or what other option do I have, I been riding with tennis shoes forever, decided to ride a little more geared up and I can't shift? help!

Thanks,

Jeff

Man, I'd just adjust the shifter linkage.. I had to do that to fit my sketchers between them cause they're so thick.. it's a simple adjustment.. just loosten the 2 10mm jam nuts on the shift rod and twist the rod between your fingers to get the desired setting... make sure it'll work for you still.. then tighten down the jam nuts.... Or do like I did and set your busa up with a GP style shift pattern..hehehhe

onebadbusa.jpg

I would recommend getting a real pair of motorcycle boots, rather than a pair of glorified Wal-Mart Chinese-made work boots with a buckle on them. Alpinestars, Gaerne, Sidi, etc. I wear a 14, so I'm telling you the truth, straight up. You have to point your toe and slide it underneath as well. It may take a bit more effort than you are used to with the tennies.

Move the shift lever. I have a pair of the field armor boots, very stiff at first. But after my first day of riding and walking around in them, they were completely broken in. I can wear them all day, I just did a 600 mile 12 hr trip. They are a quality protective boot that will last a long time. And unlike many Astars and Sidi that are made with about 85% plastic the field armour boots are a tuff quality boot. And yes, I even own some Astar boots so I can speak on their construction and compare them to the field armor boots.

I moved the lever up and have these boots.. i'm fine now. They are very sturdy boots and I feel very protected with them on.

I have the field armor boots too. They're the same size as yours. I just moved the lever up a bit.

I use to wear cheap boots as well and thought they were just fine, thick toe and all. Only after buying a pair of Sidi's did I realize the difference in a real quality boot, thin toe and all. I don't think I could ever go back to the thick toed ones again?

Adjust the shifter. I have had my Field Armor boots for 3 summers now and they are great..but are somewhat thick.

I have buell pegs which lowered and moved my foot rearward anyway so I did not need to adjust my shifter with the Icons.

Those who own the Field Armor boots..you may want to take out the small black screws that hold the latches and apply some med. strength loc-tite. I had almost all of mine come out of one of my boots while riding in the back of my truck on a trip once.

This must be an O-R-G BIG FOOT discussion......
cool.gif
....First thing I adjusted was controls, first the hands, then the feet.....I still have one set of steel toe boots that just don't work very well, but my Magnum, my Dainese, and my Alpinestars all work a whole lot better since I adjusted the rear brake, and the shifter linkage....only problem when you adjust the shifter is that it puts the toe of your footwear more in a down pointed position, and that means learning to lift the toe a bit in hard cornering....
super.gif

They might be cheap but there a lot more protective then tennis shoes. That's why I bought them. I also got them for $75.00 bucks on ebay.

Thanks for all the tips.

-JEff

I'm planning on getting a set of these size 14 in the near future. Im 6'5" and about 280. I havent adjusted anything on my new B-King yet. Well I dont count the front brake lever it was adjusted all the way out and even with my big hands I could barely reach it without some serious hand acrobatics.

I've been riding with some "cheap wal-mart boots" as LE'05BUSA put it. They are Brahma steel toe and are pretty tall. They were 30 bucks and I had them before I got the bike. They are as much protection as any motorcycle specific boot I have tried on. They are comfortable enough that I can work 13 hours in them and then ride for another couple of hours before I head home. So I'm not going to talk down about my cheap wal-mart boots. I'm getting the ICONS because I really like the way they look. After all image is everything right? RIGHT?

Anyway if you have boots that are comfortable and protect your feet and ankles then you have what you need. Even with my huge feet and thick steel toe boots I havent had any problems with the shifter in the stock position. I just angle her down under there and shift like a madman.

Why do some of you have to bust his ballz about so called "cheap boots"? How much of the crap do we buy every day is made in China? How much of it do you own? Do you really know? Geez how would you like to come on here asking for honest advice only to get this garbage? Just be helpful instead of being jerks. We aren't all made of money so we buy what we can. Done ranting.

I'm planning on getting a set of these size 14 in the near future. Im 6'5" and about 280. I havent adjusted anything on my new B-King yet. Well I dont count the front brake lever it was adjusted all the way out and even with my big hands I could barely reach it without some serious hand acrobatics.

I've been riding with some "cheap wal-mart boots" as LE'05BUSA put it. They are Brahma steel toe and are pretty tall. They were 30 bucks and I had them before I got the bike. They are as much protection as any motorcycle specific boot I have tried on. They are comfortable enough that I can work 13 hours in them and then ride for another couple of hours before I head home. So I'm not going to talk down about my cheap wal-mart boots. I'm getting the ICONS because I really like the way they look. After all image is everything right? RIGHT?

Anyway if you have boots that are comfortable and protect your feet and ankles then you have what you need. Even with my huge feet and thick steel toe boots I havent had any problems with the shifter in the stock position. I just angle her down under there and shift like a madman.
hey v, whatever size you are normally, go 1 size up. mine are 13 and i was forewarned and now i wish i had gone 14. they fit, but snug. good luck! all in all, this is a great boot for practicality and "non track people" like myself with added protection. i had the a-stars track boot and it was over kill for me.

I would recommend getting a real pair of motorcycle boots, rather than a pair of glorified Wal-Mart Chinese-made work boots with a buckle on them. Alpinestars, Gaerne, Sidi, etc. I wear a 14, so I'm telling you the truth, straight up. You have to point your toe and slide it underneath as well. It may take a bit more effort than you are used to with the tennies.
my "pair of glorified Wal-Mart Chinese-made work boots with a buckle on them" work great. Nothing wrong with these boots at all. Been wearing mine for over a year and have no issues shifting after adjusting the shift lever.

Why do some of you have to bust his ballz about so called "cheap boots"? How much of the crap do we buy every day is made in China? How much of it do you own? Do you really know? Geez how would you like to come on here asking for honest advice only to get this garbage? Just be helpful instead of being jerks. We aren't all made of money so we buy what we can. Done ranting.
If you enjoy hearing complete and utter BS nonsense, that's your business...go live in fantasyland. Don't buy a Yugo and expect people to tell you it's a Mercedes-Benz on here though, or at my dealership. I sell ICON, because that's what stunter kids and the video game generation want, though I try and educate them before they buy on what makes a quality boot, both in regards to construction AND safety. The majority of ICON products are shiny-flashy mediocre quality (at best) items that happen to have phenomenal marketing.

Exactly. The Wal-Mart CAT's and Brahma's have the same amount of protection as a pair of ICON Field Armor.

They are not even close to a Sidi B2 or an Alpinestars SMX4.

What I was getting at was you don't have to put down what people buy or have. Just say "hey good for you, you ought to try (insert product here) next time". We all do the best we can but would you enjoy someone coming on here to tell you your stuff is cheap Chinese made Wal Mart garbage. No probably not but you might appreciate some "helpful positive" advice about how to make adjustments for what you have.

Back