Full exhaust expectations?

reward69

Registered
rock.gif
Im looking into upgrading to a full exhaust and have done some searches to read up on this. Currently Im leaning towards the Yosh Tri Oval dual tip version. I was talking to my local mechanic who dynos and customs maps for the local dealer.When I asked him which unit to buy from a power standpoint, he said for the money he has found that its hard to beat a yoshimura system. He said that for all stock engined bikes he's dynoed that they all get within 1-3 hp of each other. I like to save a $$ like everyone and I personally like what yoshimura has to offer. There are some systems that I also like, but they come with a premium price tag. I'm mainly in the mood to tinker a little and would like to pick up a few ponies while I'm at it. My mechanic says that with a good pipe (like any yosh) system that he can usually get between 6 to 10 hp. Ive known this guy for a long time and think he's being straight up? Are these the typical results I can look to get??? Currently I just have yosh bolt on's, though I do have a PCIII I know its not doing me much if any good.

Based on what I have read and heard, the BDE Streetsmart is the best for HP with the HMF Dual Highmount coming in a very very close second (I have the HMF).

JMHO
Don

(reward69 @ Sep. 21 2006,18:09)
rock.gif
Im looking into upgrading to a full exhaust and have done some searches to read up on this. Currently Im leaning towards the Yosh Tri Oval dual tip version. I was talking to my local mechanic who dynos and customs maps for the local dealer.When I asked him which unit to buy from a power standpoint, he said for the money he has found that its hard to beat a yoshimura system. He said that for all stock engined bikes he's dynoed that they all get within 1-3 hp of each other. I like to save a $$ like everyone and I personally like what yoshimura has to offer. There are some systems that I also like, but they come with a premium price tag. I'm mainly in the mood to tinker a little and would like to pick up a few ponies while I'm at it.  My mechanic says that with a good pipe (like any yosh) system that he can usually get between 6 to 10 hp. Ive known this guy for a long time and think he's being straight up? Are these the typical results I can look to get??? Currently I just have yosh bolt on's, though I do have a PCIII I know its not doing me much if any good.
I noticed a BIG improvement with just Viper bolt ons and a BMC filter properly tuned with a pc. Viper claims 6 hp gain with their race cans, and BMC claims 1-2 hp. I have NO doubt at all that I gained at LEAST that much...its a huge diff at 5000 ft elevation and is gonna be even better at sea level. How much hp do you need to gain to make you say holy sheeat? Talk about winding up quicker
tounge.gif

I would think a full system would be VERY pleasing if set up properly. Buuuut....personally I've never been impressed with Yoshimura's power gains, and would def get something else. And stay WAAAY away from their zyclone systems.....pure crap from my experience.

Brocks makes the most power, Akro, Muzzy, Micron, Yosh and all the other big names are close. It depends on what sounds good to you, and how much you want to spend. I had a Yosh and hated it, some guys love them. I've got a Muzzy now, I like it a whole lot more. Your PC will help out whichever pipe you choose, full potential is realized by a custom map on a dyno.

Back