Fuel tank cap: should there be a gasket or seal?

Hi y'all, the bike is a 2005. It was sold to me with an aftermarket gas cap without a lock and I replaced it with one that locks.

The problem is that I can't tell if it needs to have a seal around the opening because there is clearly a gap between the wall of the recess for the cap frame and the cap frame itself. There is in fact a rubber seal around the part of the cap that covers the filler opening but there are two other small holes outside of that sealed opening and I'm having trouble finding info about where exactly they lead. The aftermarket cap that I replaced did not have a seal but I know the previous owner at least kept the bike garaged. I have to park my bike outside and I live in Florida where it rains a lot and often. I do cover it at home but it's going to get wet from time to time. I just want to make sure that I'm keeping water from entering my fuel tank, so I am considering using rubber to make a seal ring. Thoughts?

There is no other seal and you dont want to start adding rubber rings around the cap frame (as you put it) its not necessary. Don't add anything. Don't plug anything.

cap.jpg

Rubb.

There is no other seal and you dont want to start adding rubber rings around the cap frame (as you put it) its not necessary. Don't add anything. Don't plug anything.

View attachment 1627903

Rubb.
Thanks Rubb! I don't want to add a seal especially if either of them are for venting which I suspect one of them must be. I'm still looking for the piece of mind of knowing exactly what they are for and where they go.

But what is that orange piece circled in the photo?

So following the sealing question: my baby is going to be ridden and left outside during this little T-storm Eta over the next couple of days. Since the cap doesn't close down all the way as it is: I covered the gas cap area with blue painters tape and popped 2 tiny vent holes on the leaned-over side. Should I go pull that off?

I would take pics, but it's pouring right now.

Back