Fuel Tank Sealer

Jbaby1969

Registered
So I sealed my tank earlier this year with the POR15 kit. Followed the instructions to a T. Today when I went out to start the bike up I looked into the tank to find that the sealer has let go. I knew I should have just replaced the tank. Lesson learned.

So I sealed my tank earlier this year with the POR15 kit. Followed the instructions to a T. Today when I went out to start the bike up I looked into the tank to find that the sealer has let go. I knew I should have just replaced the tank. Lesson learned.
Why did you seal it? I thought one of those chemicals that cleans rust was all was needed and then the tank could be used like normal again, without sealing it

Why did you seal it? I thought one of those chemicals that cleans rust was all was needed and then the tank could be used like normal again, without sealing it
It sat for years without gas in it. A few years back I treated it with muriatic acid. It took all the rust out but it came back. This time I used the sealer kit. I read reviews and it seemed like a 50/50 chance on if it would work or not. Turns out I was in the second 50! Lol

It sat for years without gas in it. A few years back I treated it with muriatic acid. It took all the rust out but it came back. This time I used the sealer kit. I read reviews and it seemed like a 50/50 chance on if it would work or not. Turns out I was in the second 50! Lol
There is a lot of products out there that can be used. I know I always see posts about them on the ADVrider forums with guys bringing old vintage bikes back to life. Not sure if you could try something else after putting that sealant on it.

There is a lot of products out there that can be used. I know I always see posts about them on the ADVrider forums with guys bringing old vintage bikes back to life. Not sure if you could try something else after putting that sealant on it.
Yeah it might be harder to get the sealer out than it’s worth.

General question- Is it better to store a tank (long long term) without gas in it...and dry it out completely??

Coated tanks always fail at some time in the future .
As a mechanic I recommend replacing tank.
When one has to store a bike they should follow the storage instructions per manufacturer.
1 year or less fill tank 100 % fuel stabilizer.
Before first time restart drain as much fuel as possible with hand pump for transfer
Fill fresh fuel .
More than a year drain all fuel and cost tank with quart of oil . Store tank indoors and rotate tank / oil ever 3 to 4 months . Upon restart flush tank with fuel ,drain . Add fuel and run bike . First tank of fuel engine will smoke lightly from oil in fuel . Will not hurt engine.

Coated tanks always fail at some time in the future .
(...)

YES ! all tank inside coatings are rubbish whatever the say

after 1-3 years (or so) they loosen
and you have all the ..ucking bu....hit inside carburators , throttles & injectors
hate will come up !

best way against rost is to clean by an acid and
let the tank afterwards dry by air for around 2-3 weeks.
this forms a new layer inside tank what one calls passivation

experiances of a very good friend with ´72-´76 kawasaki z 900/1000 tanks

I myself have some 5 or 6 fuel tanks completely open (no tank lid / no cock) laying/hanging in my garage - no rost at all
even no heating or else in there - humidity is all year long like outside!

Last edited:
Reactions: c10
Back