Fuel System

Jonesy

Registered
I searched the forum as I'm having issues with my external fuel pump on my '99. I'll know tomorrow if it's the pump, or if it just got all gunked up before the pump. This being said over the winter I plan on spraying the bike, and was wondering what was the limiting factor on the 60 horse hit. Is it the fuel system, or is it the internals on the engine itself?

I plan on going with a PCIII usb and a tune, and wondered about a wet kit instead of a dry 60 to up the hit to say 80 or 100 even, then wondered if the stock motor could handle it if I upgraded the fuel.

This being said what do I have for choices in an aftermarket fuel pump/regulator on an external get up? Would I just have to ditch the whole factory set up, get something from Aeromotive and regulate that with a return style regulator with an in line filter?

Thanks fellas

Dustin

that's alot of questions...

Since your bike is a 99 and still running the OE pump I could see why you have a few problems. Have you cleaned or removed the small screen filters yet?

The limiting factors around 60 dry is based on a few things. They're all reasons of staying safe and on the conservative side of things. Fuel system, pistons, etc are all limiting factors. I would be careful with spraying a bike that's got lots of years/miles on it.

Wet kits are very good but alot of people get greddy which the engine will never forgive. Just keep the level of spry low and you don't have to dig into the motor to much. Also higher hp levels will also require some changes to the timming as well. You may want to look at getting a hub so you can have more than one map and only run the rich map when yo're going to spray.

There are lots of pumps on the market that can help you out. The simple setups involve either a bosch or walbro pump, a filter, and putting in a regulator with a return line.

Thanks for the reply. I'm intimately familiar with nitrous use in automotive apps, just new to the motorcycle apps of things.

The fuel pump/issues have all been addressed, still working on that part of it though. It's not clogged filters/screens. The bike has 13K on it.

I was looking into a ZEX dry kit to get used to things before I really up'd what I wanted to spray, but again, thought I would ask if I need to start diving into the motor before I start to spray beyond the 60 dry, or if by upping the pump and using a wet kit I would be okay as long as the rest of the mill was good to go.

Thanks for the response, sorry for all the questions. :D

Back