Frustrated with Smith & Wesson

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Last year I bought my wife and I a pair of S&W Bodyguard 380's. While mine has consistently fired without issue, her's was misfiring about 30% of the time (a common, correctable problem with correct firing pin length). So, I called S&W, shipped it back to them, and they shipped it back about 3 weeks later saying they'd fixed it.

Hadn't had a chance to try it out, but today my wife went to a ladies range day with both hers and mine. Same problem=her's misfired 30% of the time, mine didn't misfire once. The rangemaster confirmed it.

I'm torqued that I'm going to have to contact them again and ship it back again because they failed to repair/replace the first time. This time I'm going to tell them if they can't fix the dang thing, need to send me a new replacement gun :banghead:

I think I'm going to have my local gunsmith take a look, also.

S&W seems to be in a real slump with their QA/QC. I was looking at getting a new 629 revolver recently, but all the research I did came up with reports of misaligned or loose barrels shipped on new guns. The Bodyguard 380 is a cool little gun if they can just get all the bugs worked out. Hopefully they can take care of it for you.

I don't trust it like I do my Glock Daniel, but I can carry it in my pants pocket and nobody notice. They'll take care of it or they are gonna be buying it back....

They must have hired Peggy from USA Prime Credit as their QA Manger.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the main reason I bought a Ruger LCP. I wanted the bodyguard, but heard nightmare stories about them online. Chronic stovepipes, and the Laser failing constantly. Haven't had a lick of issues with my baby Ruger.
My best friend JUST bought the Bodyguard today (of course without asking me about it or researching it) so we'll see how his behaves..

Sorry for your bad luck..

The biggest problem is that they RARELY will give you a new gun since they have to destroy the serial number that is registered to you, and register a new one to you. I've heard stories (of course on the internet) about this being a HUGE hassle for the gun manufacturers, and they will do anything possible to not just replace your gun. Again, just what I've heard..

S&W quality has gone down significantly in the last twenty years.
I've got old blue box revolvers with pinned barrels that are works of art.
The new revos I can't stand, especially with the locking key hole in side.

Keith have you or anyone else chamfered the chamber and feedramp if it has one?
Is it failing to feed, stove piping or what?

A new gun will involve a new transfer thru a dealer. They keep yours and send a new one to dealer for transfer

I too have had no issues with my Ruger LCP. Tiny little gun you can take anywhere. Sorry for the troubles.

S&W quality has gone down significantly in the last twenty years.
I've got old blue box revolvers with pinned barrels that are works of art.
The new revos I can't stand, especially with the locking key hole in side.

Keith have you or anyone else chamfered the chamber and feedramp if it has one?
Is it failing to feed, stove piping or what?

A new gun will involve a new transfer thru a dealer. They keep yours and send a new one to dealer for transfer

No mods
round seats, hammer drops, misfires.
this is a new gun. when the identical gun beside it fires, without issue, shouldn't have to do any work on it.

I can only take the word of the rangemaster as I was not there. I'm still gonna go try and drop a box thru it tomorrow myself before I send it.

I just bought the same gun. Haven't even gotten a chance to fire it yet. I hope I do not have the same problems. We'll see...

So after the hammer drops and it doesn't fire what does the primer look like?
Good clean strike or a light one? If its a light strike it could be a couple things.
Chances are better something is wrong with slide machining and not firing pin.
The channel the firing pin goes into most likely is not as smooth as it should be or reverse side of breech face needs smoothing. Minor work but yes a pain in the butt the deal with on a new gun.

How easy is it to swap firing pins from your gun to hers to see if it works?
Maybe swap complete upper from yours to hers and see what happens?
If your slide works on her gun than problem is in slide assembly. If your slide doesn't make it work than problem is in her frame assembly. Maybe weak hammer spring creating light strikes on primers?

I had a pair of Ruger P95 9mm when they first came out. One worked one didn't. By swapping parts I found it to be a rough feedramp. Polished it as well as barrel chamber and it worked perfectly.

the bodyguard is known for that issue ive known 2 ppl who have had them and had S&W replace them under lemon rule, after 3 attempts to repair they have to replace it. I have my LCP in my iwb right now and my father has a keltec and neither have had a single misfire or problem and weve both fed 500 rounds through them to make sure of firing condition. when you get it back run about 300 rounds through it you might get lucky and it will sort itself out and the ones that dont fire run through your gun and burn them off, ive had a couple guns that have sorted themselves out after 500 rounds.

Good Ol Smith and Wesson. My first carry pistol was a Smith&Wesson SW40. It would jam one in an average of 100 rounds which I thought was good. Well I bought a Springfield Armory XD40 and WOW what a difference from the Smith and Wesson. I sold the Smith and Wesson and never looked back.
Wanting a smaller pistol to carry I went with the Ruger LCP and this gun is flawless and deadly accurate to be honest I cant remember the last time it has jammed.
If a carry gun jams I will sell it. The test is 10 full magazines rapid fire each round, no jam, its a keeper.
I have heard people say "You have to break a gun in" I call Bullshiz on that! If it jams out of the box it will jam down the road.

That is why I carry Glocks. Thousands of rounds and not a single problem. However I do polish the feed ramps and barrel throat of all my semi autos.

That is why I carry Glocks. Thousands of rounds and not a single problem. However I do polish the feed ramps and barrel throat of all my semi autos.

everyone has problems, glock did recently with the gen4.

Good Ol Smith and Wesson. My first carry pistol was a Smith&Wesson SW40. It would jam one in an average of 100 rounds which I thought was good. Well I bought a Springfield Armory XD40 and WOW what a difference from the Smith and Wesson. I sold the Smith and Wesson and never looked back.
Wanting a smaller pistol to carry I went with the Ruger LCP and this gun is flawless and deadly accurate to be honest I cant remember the last time it has jammed.
If a carry gun jams I will sell it. The test is 10 full magazines rapid fire each round, no jam, its a keeper.
I have heard people say "You have to break a gun in" I call Bullshiz on that! If it jams out of the box it will jam down the road.

This, I wont trust any gun otb.

I don't trust it like I do my Glock Daniel, but I can carry it in my pants pocket and nobody notice. They'll take care of it or they are gonna be buying it back....

I understand where you're coming from. I usually wear a hoodie or an open button-down shirt over a t-shirt, so a Glock 33 in a Galco KingTuk brings plenty of firepower with no printing.

I'm sure they'll make it right. It's just unfortunate that they couldn't get it right the first (or second) time.

Never have been a fan of the 380.I got my wife a taurus 9mm millinium pro.Great shooting gun.Doesnt like cheap ammo though.It would jam using the cheap winchester ammo.Really dirty ammo and fouls the gun fast

I don't have any problems with my .500 magnum with the 4 inch barrel:laugh:

I carry a Taurus lcp and love it:thumbsup:, that our my 1911 colt defender.

Back