Front sprocket removal?

Dudley

Registered
How do you keep the motor from rotating when removing the front sprocket? Is putting it in gear sufficient? What about leaving the drive chain installed and immobalizing the rear wheel with the break or some other method?
Thanks for any tips..

i left the chain on ,used a impact gun to buzz the nut off
but i'm not happy with it so i'm going back to stock

I always use an impact also, makes it a snap. if you dont have access to one you can take a large pipe, padd it so it dont bugger up nothing and put it in between the wheel and swingarm as you use a breaker bar to loosen the nut. Hope this helps.

Best way I found was a short piece of 2x4 put in the wheel and keep the chain on. I did not have an impact wrench, so I felt better using the chain and wheel as a strees point vs transmission.

Cool, so it sounds like if I use my impact gun I don't have to worry about the engine turning over from the torque of the gun. I don't quite understand why but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Cool, so it sounds like if I use my impact gun I don't have to worry about the engine turning over from the torque of the gun. I don't quite understand why but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Leave it in gear. I have changed at least 4 of front sprockets.

I use and impact gun.
Listen to the man ! That front sprocket will come off like butter with no stress at all using a impact wrench, believe us.

Heres the one I got on sale for $ 39.99 at Harbor Frieght Tools or you can pay over $150 and get it one from Sears. Pick your poison !

45252.gif

Worth every penny !!!
240 Ft. Lbs. of Torque
High power 7 amp motor loosens bolts with 240 ft. lbs. of torque. Rocker switch for one hand forward/reverse.
Drive: 1/2''
Volts: 120
Amps: 7
Impacts per minute: 2400 BPM
Maximum speed: 2100 RPM
Maximum Torque: 240 ft. lbs.
Length: 9-1/4''
Tool weight: 7-1/4 lbs.
Shipping weight: 8.4 lbs.

Back