front sprocket install goof

busanewb

Registered
So this weekend i installed the factory pro shift star. All went well with the install.

The main reason for this post is i think i did something bad. I installed the front sprocket with an pneumatic impact wrench while the bike was in first gear. Ive read that is the wrong way to install it and i could of damaged my transmission. Kind of freaks me out since the bike only has 1200 miles on it... Just wanted yalls thoughts on this.

Probably not the best practice. Take it for a spin, if you damaged the transmission you should be able to tell. There's nothing like a good scare to make you remember next time.

It went straight to the dyno afterwards. tuner didnt mention anything. I personally have not ridden it yet. (trucked it home)

Take it for a spin and see how it sounds. Next time put a brake bar through the wheel to prevent the tire from spinning and have the trans in neutral. Note: I had the chain on it to do this.. don't need to have the master link in to do it either.

I'd say ur lucky this time, never had an issue with the front sprocket, no pull bars, nothing. Been lucky I guess. Did you mean to tighten it with the impact wrench or just not thinking ?

I'd say ur lucky this time, never had an issue with the front sprocket, no pull bars, nothing. Been lucky I guess. Did you mean to tighten it with the impact wrench or just not thinking ?

I wanant thinking about it since I pulled the sprocket off with the impact while the bike was in neutral so tightened it with an impact but I know the bike wasn't in neutral when I tightened it.

With the Gen I I bought a socket, forget now, 35 37 mm, but on the Gen II which was a different size I just used the rear axle nut wrench provided. Removed and replaced it by hand. I have never had an issue with this nut, but understand others have.

With the Gen I I bought a socket, forget now, 35 37 mm, but on the Gen II which was a different size I just used the rear axle nut wrench provided. Removed and replaced it by hand. I have never had an issue with this nut, but understand others have.

Gen2 axle nut and front sprocket nut are both 36mm

Back