Front rotors/brakes rub while riding around..a problem?

84Ninja

Registered
Hi guys. I was moving my busa around last night w/o a helmet and was surprised to hear the front brake or rotor making the metallic sound of thw metals touching each other. Its not bad, but noticible (and it shouldn't be, right?). I had the tires changed less than a year ago by a young guy who was a new employee for my mechanic. He looked like he was trying to rope and tie a hog when changing the tires (Scratched the rims up too :( Should this be something to cause concern? Thanks

What up copper brother

Usually this means that your brakes aren't bled properly. Have you done that recently? Does your lever ever get spongey?

I would start there, others will chime in too. Let us know what it is then.

That metalic sound is metal against metal and there is only one way to get that? At least one of your brake pads are worn down to the metal backing plate. I wouldn't ride that puppy until you find the source of the problem. The pad makes an entirely different sound than the metal backing plate!

You can probably see the pads from the under side of the calipers to see the amount of pad left. Take a peek before you ride again!

Pull the pads and check them. If the pads are fine you might have a sticky caliper piston that needs cleaned.

A little rubbin sound is normal as the pads do not completely lift off the rotor when you release or stop.
Is it actually grabbin the pads and you can feel it slowing your roll or just a slight squeak and tweak while rolling ?
Just a slight little squeak is fine. If its loud and obnoxius sounding then check it.
It can mean you need new pads but most likely it is just the normal fit.

Sometimes it will squeak sometimes it wont.
Just the metallic pads barely touching your metallic rotor is all.

A little rubbin sound is normal as the pads do not completely lift off the rotor when you release or stop.
Is it actually grabbin the pads and you can feel it slowing your roll or just a slight squeak and tweak while rolling ?
Just a slight little squeak is fine. If its loud and obnoxius sounding then check it.

well said :thumbsup:

I agree and they all do it...the brake pad only sit a few 1000'nths of an inch away from the rotors when they are not being applied, and its usually close enough to rub as the rotors float and aren't always (true)

Wow, thank each of you brothers for your input. I appreciate it very much! It sounds more or less like the metallic contact is minor. It isn't a squeak, per se, but just like if you put a piece of metal against another rotating piece.that constant sound. The brakes aren't spongy and the pads look fine. I was wondering if the guy changing the tires perhaps had created an imbalance in the relationship between the parts down there. Nonetheless, I will be taking the bike in soon for service and have them double check it.

Thanks again, everyone,:beerchug:

Kurt

Is it a constant rubbing sound? Or only at certain points in the revolution? Just trying to rule out that he bent the rotors when changing the tire (if he was trying to hog tie it..)

Is it a constant rubbing sound? Or only at certain points in the revolution? Just trying to rule out that he bent the rotors when changing the tire (if he was trying to hog tie it..)

Its a constant metallic scrape that cycles as if an asymmetry exists. Again, its not excessive, but noticable. Thanks for the reply :)

Back