Front Fender Removal

sdvancop

Registered
How the hell do you get the brake lines out of the holders on the front fender in order to remove it. It looks like the one on the side is riveted in but the shop manual simply says "Disconnect the brkae hose from the brake hose guides at the front fender" I feel like an idiot!!!
AAAssjani.gif
AAAssjani.gif

AAAssjani.gif

I never took one off, but I noticed that one of the "clips" on mine was loose, and I could see the design. The part that goes in the fender looks like upside down "U" clip. Lower parts of that upside down "U" act like springs (there are litle notches there) and hold on to the inside.

So, I suspect you have to either just rock the thing a little, and pull at the same time, or squize at the buttom while pulling up.

The hoses will "snap" out of the holders leaving the holders on the fender. You can then squeeze the fender out thru the front. To remove the holders they have to be drilled out and re-rivited back in. The hoses will still be hanging on the bike.

JD

Oh yea upon removal or re-installation if the nose is off watch the ram air tubes they will scratch the piss out of it.

Thanks guys I'll give it a try tommorrow but it figures I would have tried everything else but pulling the hoses.
laugh.gif

Good luck removing the fender without scratching your forks. Unless you want to drill out the rivets on that brake line bracket
mad.gif

Ummm, why not wrap the forks with a couple layers of masking or duct tape before tryin' to pull the fender between 'em to avoid the scratches?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077975109 -->

Good luck removing the fender without scratching your forks.  Unless you want to drill out the rivets on that brake line bracket
mad.gif
yea he is right i spent an hour triing to figure out what to do and i ended up scratching the inside of the fork
but next time i will try bts advice duck tape or masking tape.

thanks bt
once agian that deep well of know how as come through

Good luck removing the fender without scratching your forks.  Unless you want to drill out the rivets on that brake line bracket
mad.gif
yea he is right i spent an hour triing to figure out what to do and i ended up scratching the inside of the fork
but next time i will try bts advice duck tape or masking tape.

thanks bt
once agian that deep well of know how as come through
I learned stuff like this the hard way. Just sharin' so maybe someone else can save themselves the heartache.
wink.gif

I pulled my stock fender off and replaced it with a CF Sebimoto one when my disc lock took a bite out of it. The retaining "thingy" for the crossover line just sort of "pops" out of the fender, as I recall. Either that, or the line itself pops out of the retainer, etc.

(Oh, yeah, I just jiggled the fender loose after getting off the fasteners and folded its "fangs" inward to get it off)

When I put the new fender on, there was naturally no such retainer (and indeed, there were no holes drilled at all) and I just left the crossover lie loose. In theory, it could fall behind the fender and towards the wheel, but it would take a lot of force and even then I don't think it would get caught.

Anyway, I lived with that for a couple of months and then got dual system SS brake lines, so the crossover was no more. Problem solved.

Back