Front brake switch is not working....

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
I am guessing that it is the front switch as the rear still works. I found out on the way home last night when I went to cancel the cruise control and the cruise picked up speed a bit to compensate for the deceleration. I simply applied pressure to the rear brake and turned off the cruise control instantly.

I have some electrical contact cleaner at the house and I am going to try and clean the switch out with it first. I may have to get with Justin to order another one though.

Quick question, if I have the switch connector off and put a multi-meter on it and apply the rear brake, I should see power/voltage across the leads right? I am not sure if the front and rear brake switch are one circuit or separate. If they are the same, this would eliminate the actual wires for the front switch being bad and narrow it down to the switch itself.

UPDATE: Just went out to look/hear if the switch was working and it appears to be operating properly. I will have to break it down to see what is going on for sure.

Justin has a good price on a new switch for me already and is standing by to send an invoice. After looking at the wiring diagram in the manual, it looks as if the front and rear switch share the circuit. I am hopeful that the switch is dirty and once I clean it up a bit the problem will clear.

I will post an update as there is little to no information about trouble shooting the front brake switch on the forum.

I'm not sure if my issue is the same as yours...I noticed my rear brake light was staying lit regardless of applying brake pressure front or rear. I had just taken off my rearsets to powder coat and upon reassembly discovered the problem. I thought that I had perhaps caused a problem with the brake system when reconnecting everything. I took it into the shop as I have only had the bike 2 weeks to be informed that it was a faulty front brake sensor, that apparently they just got bad at random, they seem to be functioning fine, they wont stick or anything, they just go bad. Dealer ordered a replacement front brake sensor and it will be here tomorrow.

Just wanted to share some of the issue I had with the Front Brake Sensor wondering if its the same thing you are having with your cruise?

I am not familiar with the Front Brake Sensor, do you have a part number or anything else that may help identify the part?

The cruise control is the CCS-100 vacuum version and works fine. Although, I normally cancel it by lightly tapping the front brake, well yesterday it did not cancel which caused me to tap the rear brake. This morning before heading out for work I tested the brake light functions and the rear switch works as intended, the front does not.

I am guessing that the actual switch on the front lever is bad because from what I can see the front and rear share the circuit from activating the brake light. I will do some testing this weekend, but wanted to share my thoughts/ideas on this issue as there is not a lot of information on the front brake switch going out on the forum.

Not sure what the front brake sensor is that you are referencing, maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject.

I was only ably to see the part the mechanic removed from the bike, it came out of the front brake control case, was a small square black case with two-toggles on it that push in and out, Im guessing this is what closes the circuit when you press in the brake lever. Ill see if I can find more info. I just wonder if this is the same part we are having issues with.

Switch Assy, lock 57460-17C11

I am pretty sure that is the part. Atleast thats exactly what the piece the mechanic took out and showed me.

Yup, that is the brake light switch for the front. The part I suspect if faulty, at least I hope so. Just provided me the exact same part number 57460-17c11. As said before, I am going to to my best to clean/repair it, but will probably have to replace it.

Yup, that is the brake light switch for the front. The part I suspect if faulty, at least I hope so. Just provided me the exact same part number 57460-17c11. As said before, I am going to to my best to clean/repair it, but will probably have to replace it.

From what the mechanic told me this is a part that has failed often on the Suzukis...not sure why...but glad to see i'm not the only one to have experienced the issue... They did warranty it, so depending on how long you have had yours might be a freebie replacement...

Does anyone have a picture of how the switch is in stalled had to replace the front brake assembly can't get the switch right.

Back