From a Hayabusa to an MT01

Better watch out for yourself. There's gonna be a billion jealous people over there now :) congrats on getting another busa!

I have friends in Mumbai with Busas. Been there a couple of times. It doesn't look like I'll be able to make it back anytime soon though. I know what you mean about it being different. I had an opportunity to relocate there a couple of years ago. There are things there that I like better than in the US, but overall, I'll keep living in the States.

Well I moved here in 2006 and I love the lawlessness a bit. They can't be bothered what you do on the highways so what speeds you do is up to your judgement. You can really enjoy a superbike on some of the highways here without any hindrance. Traffic is usually light and the roads are wide. There are downsides...like you end up paying pretty much 200% of the cost of the bike but hey...can't have it both ways.

Yup I have a lot of friends in Mumbai with Busas as well. It is the biggest sales sensation in the superbike market given that we have the Gixxer, R1, Blade, Ducatis and now even Aprilia, KTM and Triumph coming in a big way.

congrats and welcome back. always wanted to visit INDIA...maybe someday.

Please do...I made an open invite in the first post many years ago. The offer still stands :)

Better watch out for yourself. There's gonna be a billion jealous people over there now :) congrats on getting another busa!

Actually the Busa is like a regular affair here. Almost everyone has one...most popular superbike in India by a huge margin. I think they sell 3 Busas for every 1 other brand motorcycle.

hey gs....damn man why didnt you pm me a long time ago??? how you been???? been wondering how things going for you.... miss rideing with ya ....and still waiting for that vid....lol

Sup buddy. :welcome: I did read about your travelogue with the MT01 on another forum . Good to connect with you here too .

Hey Chris...you remember these? :) What was it? I think these pictures are from 2006!! you still have the white Busa?

IMG%2520001.jpg

Erie_2006%2520005.jpg

Erie_2006%2520004.jpg

Erie_2006%2520006.jpg

Erie_2006%2520007.jpg

Erie_2006%2520008.jpg

Some of the bikes I've collected in India since I moved here in 2006...most are still with me.

Royal Enfield 350 (1962)
Looking_Good.jpg

2008 Royal Enfield 500LB
DSC00134.JPG

1987 Yamaha TZR250
View attachment 1556679

2009 Yamaha MT-01
25102009119.jpg

vlcsnap-2011-09-10-17h08m39s36.png

Kawasaki Ninja 650R (2011)
ayudhapuja.jpg

Did a trackday on the Ninja 650R after stripping it down...

RD2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
gsferrari

I have the same bike that you use to have :laugh:

So did you ever get a place with a garage? :laugh:

Just curious you mentioned booking a bike a couple of times, is that equal to buying a bike?
Can I ask how much a 2012 Busa cost over there? Is the process WAY different then in the states?

Do you still live in Bangalore? I looked that up on the map. It's on the east side of India, maybe south a little more than half way, right?

Can you tell us what you like better and what you don't, vs the USA?

Thanks for sharing your images and info.:beerchug:

I have the same bike that you use to have :laugh:

So did you ever get a place with a garage? :laugh:

When did you get your LE? Any chance it is the same bike? :) Fastest Busas are red in color! :bowdown:

Just curious you mentioned booking a bike a couple of times, is that equal to buying a bike?
Can I ask how much a 2012 Busa cost over there? Is the process WAY different then in the states?

Booking is the process of making a formal commitment to purchasing the bike by paying a small amount, in this case $1000.00. This sets the process rolling and a bike is ordered for you, shipped and you are notified once it has arrived. You then make the balance payment, register the vehicle and ride it home. The whole process can take about 15-20 days.

The 2012 Busa costs $29000 (USD) in India...yup :moon: The actual bike costs the same but the taxes and customs/excise charges more than double the cost before you get your hands on it. Here each and every vehicle has a unique RTO (equivalent of DMV) number or tag. You can't take your old tag off a vehicle and put it on your new vehicle like you can in the US. Kinda stupid and a waste of resources but what can you do...system invented by the Brits :rofl:

Do you still live in Bangalore? I looked that up on the map. It's on the east side of India, maybe south a little more than half way, right?

Yup I still live in Bangalore. I was in Mumbai between 2006 and 2011 May when I moved to Bangalore. Bangalore is towards the south of the country and right on the line that splits the country vertically in two. Probably one of the most "westernized" cities in the country with a large number of American and European migrant workers who come here for a change of scene.

Bangalore is at an elevation of 3000 feet above mean sea level so you lose about 10% of your available power (Bhp) just because of the lower levels of oxygen here.

Can you tell us what you like better and what you don't, vs the USA?

Ok initially when I moved here from the US in 2006 I thought this place is hell on earth. Traffic like you won't believe and idiot drivers, two-wheel bandits on 100cc commuter bikes, terrorist truck and bus drivers and kamikaze auto-rickshaws (trikes). Everything is difficult to get here and you don't have a Walmart, Home Depot etc. where you can just drive in and buy what you want (usually 24x7). Depending on where you are in India the stores shut by late evening (8pm) and open at 11am.

How do I explain it...just imagine the most convoluted path riddled with obstacles and arbitrary rules and procedures and this is the path you need to follow to get anything. Things are improving and I can get a proper Bagel with Philly cream cheese these days if I make the effort :)

Work wise everything is hugely political and perceptions are everything. Showing up in office is more important than getting any work done...you have to suck-up to the boss or you get passed over for the promotions by a brown nose s.o.b. The pay is good (at least where I work) and I can afford to buy a Superbike but I need financing. The Busa will be purchased on a 36 month term loan where I will pay close to 400 dollars every month. I've been working 7 years now and my monthly salary is around $4000 (after taxes) so I can lead a decent life.

What I love about India is that you make a LOT of real-life friends who you meet with on a very frequent basis. People aren't shy to come home and don't mind you going over...you don't need appointments to "hang out" and it is not impolite to just show up :) I have several groups of friends...Ninja 650R group, Yamaha group, general Superbike groups, my 4x4 and off-roading group, office friends and friends who live near my home. Then there is family! Ok - in general you will have a HUGE social circle and there are very rare moments when you are alone.

From a riding standpoint the law enforcement is quite relaxed but they are gradually getting more strict inside the major cities. There is no law enforcement in the countryside and highways so how fast you can go is really up to you and the conditions of the road. The road network is fantastic with many scenic routes all meshed together. Decent gas station network, food services along the highways. A real speed-freak's paradise. You can get killed because we also have cattle crossing the road, trucks making sudden U-turns across all the lanes of the road just to pass through a break in the median, drivers who are completely distracted or sleeping...so it is dangerous. Freedom has it's downsides...

The riding season is quite long here...from August through May and even in the monsoons it is a pleasure to ride because of the thinner traffic and beautiful scenery. The sparse development outside the major cities means that the highways pass through countrysides that are lush, green and even thick forests and hills. Then of course we have the Himalayas which is a truly epic experience on two wheels. If you want to know more about the himalayas...check out this video (I rode there on a 150cc motorcycle with maybe 9 Bhp :) )

Here is an example of what you might have to do when you ride across India. This is me with my MT-01. I am the big fat dude who walks across the river because the combined weight would have sunk the piddly boat!
Just posting the link here: [URL="jKrdo-XNu_4]
[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
When did you get your LE? Any chance it is the same bike? :) Fastest Busas are red in color! :bowdown:

I purchased mine Sept 1, 2004 in MI It looks the same as your red one as far as I can tell.

The 2012 Busa costs $29000 (USD) in India...yup :moon: The actual bike costs the same but the taxes and customs/excise charges more than double the cost before you get your hands on it. Here each and every vehicle has a unique RTO (equivalent of DMV) number or tag. You can't take your old tag off a vehicle and put it on your new vehicle like you can in the US. Kinda stupid and a waste of resources but what can you do...system invented by the Brits :rofl:

WOW Sounds like it would be cheaper to go to another country - load one on a chopper and then land in the country side and drive it home.
Make up some false plates etc. and hope you never get stopped - You know I joking, right? :laugh::laugh:

Yup I still live in Bangalore. I was in Mumbai between 2006 and 2011 May when I moved to Bangalore. Bangalore is towards the south of the country and right on the line that splits the country vertically in two. Probably one of the most "westernized" cities in the country with a large number of American and European migrant workers who come here for a change of scene.

Does everyone speak English, did you learn a different language?

Bangalore is at an elevation of 3000 feet above mean sea level so you lose about 10% of your available power (Bhp) just because of the lower levels of oxygen here.

I lived in Reno for a year and it was at 5000 ft. Not a lot of difference in power to me.

Ok initially when I moved here from the US in 2006 I thought this place is hell on earth. Traffic like you won't believe and idiot drivers, two-wheel bandits on 100cc commuter bikes, terrorist truck and bus drivers and kamikaze auto-rickshaws (trikes). Everything is difficult to get here and you don't have a Walmart, Home Depot etc. where you can just drive in and buy what you want (usually 24x7). Depending on where you are in India the stores shut by late evening (8pm) and open at 11am.

Hell on earth. Did anything change or did you just get use to it?

How do I explain it...just imagine the most convoluted path riddled with obstacles and arbitrary rules and procedures and this is the path you need to follow to get anything. Things are improving and I can get a proper Bagel with Philly cream cheese these days if I make the effort :)

And you live in one of the most "westernized" cities in the country. So the rest of the country is SOL?

Work wise everything is hugely political and perceptions are everything. Showing up in office is more important than getting any work done...you have to suck-up to the boss or you get passed over for the promotions by a brown nose s.o.b. The pay is good (at least where I work) and I can afford to buy a Superbike but I need financing. The Busa will be purchased on a 36 month term loan where I will pay close to 400 dollars every month. I've been working 7 years now and my monthly salary is around $4000 (after taxes) so I can lead a decent life.

400 x 36 = 14400. So you are putting half down? Kinda like your paying for the bike up front and then taking a loan
to pay all the other fees that they tack on? If you were to sell it would, you only get 10-12k after paying almost 30k?

The riding season is quite long here...from August through May

So in June and July it's to Cold???

What are the gas prices like? Today we are just under $4/gal

Thanks for the great report and sharing it with us. :beerchug::beerchug:

Everyone you would encounter in your professional career would definitely speak english. As a matter of fact, the english we use in India is British english. We say Aluminium instead of Aluminum. We use Colour instead of Color...stuff like that :)

I just got used to the traffic and figured out what time to head out in the morning and what time to get back into town in order to beat the traffic. No complaints so far...

I think India loves politics, red-tape and bureaucratic governance. If life gets too convenient then a lot of people won't have a job. We add layers to add employment at the cost of increasing complexity.

Regarding the payment for the bike. My down-payment is Rs.8,40,00 which is around $16000. I have to pay $13000 in monthly instalments over 3 years. This includes interest. Doesn't seem fair does it? But if you want this lifestyle then you have to be willing to pay for it. When I move back to the US I can probably buy a decent 3-Series used AND a Hayabusa new :)

Gas is currently Rs.75 or $1.4 for 1 liter. The American gallon is 3.8 liters so we pay $5.32 for every Gallon of gas. I guess we get screwed there as well.

It is not easy and I don't think too many people want this kind of lifestyle. They are happier in tin-box cages that give 80 miles to the gallon. What can I say, I am just built different :)

I am still 1 week away from getting the keys to my new Busa but the accessories I ordered have already arrived!

Puig double-bubble windscreen
R&G radiator guard
Vortex Spool sliders
Crash Protectors - KR Tuned
Pazzo shorty levers
Yoshimura R77 slip-ons

Now where I am confused is whether I should go for a Bazzaz or a PC5. I already have an autotune so I am more inclined to get the PC5 but the Bazzaz is just getting rave reviews from racers/tuners etc.

Thoughts?

I'm done robbing the bank :) All paid for...just waiting for the crate to show up with "VADER" inside. Yup...already picked a name and all. What a sap! :moon:

Accessories await...the hard part will be drilling into the brand new fairing to install the sliders...sigh :(

Back