Frame up Build with mods and carbon fibre.

CraigMcleod

Registered
This build has been on a back burner for sometime, suddenly we’re all locked in due to this crazy situation so time to make a start. My day job is repairing and producing carbon fibre components mainly for cycle frames also motorbikes and the odd GT race car. To make it more interesting I’d like to use some of my skills in this build, I know where my strengths are so may struggle and learn in other areas!
A couple of years ago I happened upon crash damaged low mileage gen 2 Busa, much of the front end was toast and frame an insurance write off (although it was actually undamaged).
My plan is to build a unique, reliable mile crunching road going missile. It must be quick, include latest tech (for a Busa) and look fkn awesome. So without further ado here we go. Time to pull out the remains from storage and strip it down.

66F7A2E8-0BDB-4128-88F6-1DDE9216402B.jpeg

3E9105A3-2F9F-4C9C-8BB3-85B522BC020B.jpeg

View attachment 1616950

38618A88-E898-4280-BAA2-C6FD6227270D.jpeg

Last edited:
This bike is purely for road use, I’ve had few scrapes, crashes and near misses, with this experience I feel ABS is the future! If that one time you ‘must’ grab a hand full of brake due to some num nucks doing the unthinkable it gives vital seconds to hopefully divert a situation! Being a K8 ABS was not an option so my plan is to install it, sounds straight forward but OMG what a mission. ABS pump and pipes go in easy after drilling frame and installing rivnuts to secure it... then the fun starts!

389EE9D8-5A8C-41EC-86B3-5A316478BC1C.jpeg

Fitting ABS sounds easy but is massive. Fronts forks are ABS specific obviously, as are wheels, rear brake mounting, brake pipes, dash, wiring loom etc. Would I do it again?... ... I’ll let you know if I get it working. I picked up a pair of Dymag carbon wheels, custom produced for a project and non ABS. Working with Dymag (these guys are so helpful and passionate about what they do!) I think they’ll actually work with ABS, they’ve needed some mods but they’re getting there (ignore the sprocket size it needs changing think its 50+teeth!)

00F91E48-0A4E-4029-8868-F1DEE4330B0D.jpeg

DD54876F-99F3-4B70-A6FD-A2031F5DA44C.jpeg

3821684B-A13B-4B51-BD7B-80D66E8B3AAF.jpeg

311F6AFC-E7C8-44DD-B7C5-EAAC2880F2AC.jpeg

583408AF-814E-46AF-9F91-1B057E50F6C4.jpeg

Wiring at this stage needs some modifying. My own fault I fkt up. Incase anyone doesn’t know here’s why. UK spec Busas have an inbuilt immobiliser system. A transmitter built into the ignition surround identifies the key this then sends a signal to the ECU saying hey “the key fits start the engine”. In order to fit ABS I bought an ABS loom from USA not knowing US looms don’t include the immobiliser. So my ECU won’t switch the ignition on. I could buy a US ECU but then where would I stand with insurance having removed a factory immobiliser. So having already bought a US loom and having the original loom I need to strip them apart and mix the two up making one that works... I think.

C344B063-B36D-43FB-9FE1-DB94F9B6AAE6.jpeg

EEFA3DC4-D4D3-4CD5-BA68-6F4AA84CE265.jpeg

85171B5F-F8E8-4E82-A5DF-8C9553141091.jpeg

Last edited:
Suzuki abs may not quite be what you expect . I removed it all due to sub par performance. Great project, and work so far.
Frame looks great .
Yeh I’ve heard some people remove it, hopefully all the work will be worth it. It’s purely a road bike regular riding hopefully I’ll not ever feel it. It’s purely for the times when a nob pulls out or does something untoward.

Last edited:
Also fitted some new All Balls head bearings, bearing seats were so tight to get in.... what?:rolleyes:

View attachment 1616971
The Busa frame looks sooooo good in that position, strong and curvaceous!
Awesome project ya got going there mate, wish I could come over and join in and give a hand!
I too fitted All Balls bearings to my steering head . . . as you said, very tight tolerances getting the cups inserted into the frame. I froze the cups in the freezer for hours and warmed up the steering head area with a heat gun in the end, that helped a lot!

The Busa frame looks sooooo good in that position, strong and curvaceous!
Awesome project ya got going there mate, wish I could come over and join in and give a hand!
I too fitted All Balls bearings to my steering head . . . as you said, very tight tolerances getting the cups inserted into the frame. I froze the cups in the freezer for hours and warmed up the steering head area with a heat gun in the end, that helped a lot!
I should have maybe frozen the cups. I slit the old bearing seats and used them as a guide, using a large G clamp and flat bars pressed in new cups. Finally put it in the vice to really bed them in.

Looks interesting but would I ever use all those features on a road bike.
Well I have them on my BMW 1250 and the answer is yes! For example, even if you know a road very well you can still have surprises. The other day I came racing around a corner only to find an idiot had cut his grass and blown it all over the road. I got a few shimmies out of the bike but click click click (the click and a flash on the TFT is all you feel/see when the TC cuts in) and I am through it and on my way. Would I have fallen? Maybe, maybe not.

People are polarized on rider aids. There is the "I'm a man, I don't need that stuff" and the "I'll stack as much as I can in my favor" side of thinking. I believe I can use more of the Busa' power with a little help from modern technology. I'm still considering this add to my Busa basically due to cost and I am preoccupied with the new BMW at the moment.

It appears we have the same basic goals for our builds. You should look at the bikes of @ROADTOAD1340 , @Dai. , and a great build thread by @1busa . For a more focused touring build, look at RJ (@c10 ).

PS: see you joined in 2008 so you probably know all these bikes already!

Well I have them on my BMW 1250 and the answer is yes! For example, even if you know a road very well you can still have surprises. The other day I came racing around a corner only to find an idiot had cut his grass and blown it all over the road. I got a few shimmies out of the bike but click click click (the click and a flash on the TFT is all you feel/see when the TC cuts in) and I am through it and on my way. Would I have fallen? Maybe, maybe not.

People are polarized on rider aids. There is the "I'm a man, I don't need that stuff" and the "I'll stack as much as I can in my favor" side of thinking. I believe I can use more of the Busa' power with a little help from modern technology. I'm still considering this add to my Busa basically due to cost and I am preoccupied with the new BMW at the moment.

It appears we have the same basic goals for our builds. You should look at the bikes of @ROADTOAD1340 , @Dai. , and a great build thread by @1busa . For a more focused touring build, look at RJ (@c10 ).

PS: see you joined in 2008 so you probably know all these bikes already!
Good point I didn’t think of it like that, I was thinking it more of a track day or race thing which is not something I would be doing. Of and when the new gen 3 makes an appearance all this will no doubt be standard.

Back