carbon fibre & fibreglass custom parts

roadracer85

Registered
hi everyone, this is just a thread to get your thoughts!

Im a composite engineer and i currently make many carbon fibre parts (and fibreglass parts) for the high end motorsport industry from British/world superbikes - touring cars/formula 1.

I currently race superbikes myself but i have a few mates that run busas and they are asking for carbon fibre items and glass products. But to do so i need to make moulds and it works out expensive just to do one bike. Im just wondering what anyones thoughts are and if i made the moulds,would anyone elde be interested in items such as carbon bodywork/accessories etc etc. I just need to get a feel of the interest.

I have done a Busa shark fin (goes near rear sprocket to protect fingers etc from getting caught up in a crash). These are available in coloured carbon.I have attached a picture for you to view in standard carbon.

please let me know either way

cheers folks

James

PIC_0319.JPG

PIC_0326.JPG

PIC_0320.JPG

I would like to see a set of quality carbon fiber inner panels. All the ones I have seen don't line up for crap
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah these are possible. If the mould is copied of an original part then the fit will be identical to an original part. Are these hard to get hold of in the market?

RR85,
Quierying for interest is great, but if you plan on advertising/selling on the boards, you will need to contact Captain (site owner) and disuss advertising requirements/sponsorship.
This is not to discourage you, it is just to let you know the policy.
Please contact me if there are any questions.
Thanks,
MCM

yeah these are possible. If the mould is copied of an original part then the fit will be identical to an original part. Are these hard to get hold of in the market?

hard to find a quality inner. I've seen several, each one just doesnt either follow the lines like they should, made cheap and is cracking/peeling, or just plain out doesnt fit.

I think there would be an interest, just don't know how big. Lots of guys around here have added inner panels, and front fenders. Some have done more. Good luck with it, and :welcome: to the oRg.

RR85,
Quierying for interest is great, but if you plan on advertising/selling on the boards, you will need to contact Captain (site owner) and disuss advertising requirements/sponsorship.
This is not to discourage you, it is just to let you know the policy.
Please contact me if there are any questions.
Thanks,
MCM

+1 We have :rulez: here at this forum in you decide to sell here.

He's probably cool! I would be willing to donate one or two of the inner panels to get him started,,, if the plan is serious!

hard to find a quality inner. I've seen several, each one just doesnt either follow the lines like they should, made cheap and is cracking/peeling, or just plain out doesnt fit.

Then you looking at crap parts, there a couple of quality carbon fiber part manufacturers that make good inner panels for busa's.

Does anyone here wear these and know the quality? Primarily the left & right lower panels where the pointed connection goes into the on-frame mounting hole?
cowl_inner_panel_1.jpg

there's definitely interest, the main issues are fit/finish vs price point. These things exist in the marketplace however the folks making them are very PROUD of them and charge some rather high prices. If you can make some goodies at more reasonable price points I suspect you'll find a fair interest here.

Oh yeah, :welcome: and should you actually get to wanting to sell here PM Captain :thumbsup:

can you give some details to your layup process? are you using pre-preg, is it a wet layup? I'll assume vacume bagged and cured? Have you done anythin with any sandwiched core materials?

btw, where in the UK are you?

Back